Super Brace

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the motorcycle manufacturers are clueless of the value of the "Super Brace"??
Kind of makes you wonder what those FJR engineers do all day. With a bit of research, they'd find near 100% satisfaction from the improvement using the SuperBrace or MCL brace. And in a similar category, a large number that feel the need to add Moko or R&G frame sliders, a ton of folks buying and installing their own radiator guard...

Maybe it's just a cost-saving thing. Build a bike as good as you can, but as cheap as you can. Let the owners figure out (and pay for) the fine points. At least the '06 looks to have improved forks, an improved seat and even a power port!

As far as SuperBrace improvement, all I know is I really missed it when I sent it in for the modification. There is no doubt in my mind it improves the handling. So back on topic, the upcoming new product and Group Buy is great news for anyone who hasn't gotten one yet. :cownoy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, let's get serious here... :bleh:
Haven't you guys ever heard of torsion bar suspensions?

The only difference on the FJR is they're vertical, with 26 degrees positive caster. 

Sure, go ahead and lock 'em down.  That flex was designed in.  You're asking for trouble.  Imagine how the plates in your battery, directly above the forks, start falling apart from the hammering they're gonna get.  Or bulbs in your instrument cluster or headlights start going out.  Or kidneys that quit working. 

Go ahead...farkle away -- take your chances.  :)
I think RH is joking, as I was. Some people just don't get sarcasm unless it has a sound byte, BD :p
Glad to see SOMEBODY recognized the tongue-in-cheek reply.

Sheesh!!

Maybe I shoulda used a hundred of these - :bleh: - instead of just one.

Some people are so tight in the rectal department they must poop pellets like rabbits.

Oh, BD...I'm not referring to you. :blink:
Is this what you are trying to prevent?

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-FJR-...591784478QQrdZ1

The only kind of brace that would have saved those forks is a
superman-logo-poster.jpg
brace, not a Superbrace.

Some people are so tight in the rectal department they must poop pellets like rabbits.
Oh, BD...I'm not referring to you. :blink:
That must explain why you leave a trail of shit all over the board.

Damnit! Where's the 'blow me' icon??

Oh, almost forgot! The requisite ;) , natch!.

-BD

The Superbrace looks like a good upgrade for the front suspension. Like others have posted, I can feel the front end wobble when just pushing the bike over small bumps. With the upside down type forks that Yamie has on the sport models, the forks are much more rigid and don't require a brace. With the conventional design FJR fork, there is no intermediate support between the steering head lower bracket and the axle. Even my '71 BMW has a stout brace that arcs over the top of the front fender. It doesn't wobble at all (not to mention that it weights about 150 lbs less). I'm going in on the GB - it looks to be a worthwhile farkle at a relatively low price. Does anyone have any tips on removing the black plastic fork tube protectors?

Does anyone have any tips on removing the black plastic fork tube protectors?
Hmmm, been awhile, but I think I used a screwdriver to pry them out of the fork groove a bit, scored them with a utility knife. A little more pressure from the screwdriver and they split. Take care to prevent scratching by using a shop rag against fork tube while prying.

So the motorcycle manufacturers are clueless of the value of the "Super Brace"??
Kind of makes you wonder what those FJR engineers do all day. With a bit of research, they'd find near 100% satisfaction from the improvement using the SuperBrace or MCL brace.
I sometimes wonder if the OEM's don't help to "seed" the aftermarket for a certain bike by leaving things off that really should have been on the bike in the first place. A fork brace is a good example on the FJR.

BTW - Isn't the "Superbrace" the one that there was a huge bitchfest over because the original didn't work too well with the ABS bikes and the customer service on the swapout was by all accounts less than stellar?

Now they have another cool looking brace and everyone is queueing up to buy one sight unseen? I think the new one is very cool in appearance but I'm sticking with my MCL brace.

I've learned my lesson with the HI/LO xenon upgrade. From now on I'll let the "early adopters" buy and test stuff, then I'll jump in if it turns out to be a worhwhile mod. I should have followed WC's original advice to let him test the bilevel lights but nooooo, I had to have 'em. ;)

Cheers,

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone considering this group buy should also consider the Motorcycle Larry brace.

While it is not a 'gull-wing', it does it's job, looks great and MCL is the type of company that you should patronize, while Superbrace is not.

They botched the ABS brace design/testing, then botched the way they dealt with it as a return/recall. Search through other threads for specifics, and consider this before you buy.

My 2 cents...

I'll not be participating in a group buy from Superbrace.

While I was a waiter, I purchased a Superbrace for my farkle box. Then, read on the "other forum" that it had been recalled due to interference w/ the banjo bolt on the ABS. I contacted Superbrace via e-mail (not the other way around) and asked if the recall was true. "Yes. Send it back." they said. So, I sent it back at my expense (and was never reimbursed). They returned a wimpy looking brace w/ a notch cut in the front. To this day, that brace still resides in my farkle box. And, now, they want me to pay more for another new brace. No, thanks.

Since my mother told me "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all," this is what I have to say abt my dealings w/ Superbrace...

I hope I haven't jumped the gun but I emailed Superbrace to see if they had any particulars yet. ( The have a link to group buys on their web site.) Apparently, this group buy is for ABS ONLY.

The reponse to my first query was:

"Yes there will be a Group Buy for the completely redesigned FJR w/ ABS (part# 1129) starting December 1st and running through the end of the month. We haven't determined the pricing yet. Please log onto www.superbrace.com on December 1st for more info."

My reply: "How about the non-ABS model ?"

"The December Group Buy will be for the [non-ABS] model (1129). We had a Group

Buy for the non- ABS model earlier this year. "

It appears that his reference to non-ABS in brackets above is in error as he is referring specifically to the 1129. The 1128 is for non-ABS models.