• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Super deal on SPOT 3 Free!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny you post this. I don't know much about Spot but found a 1st gen Spot on closeout today for $50.00 and thought I would give it a try. Does anybody suggest I bring it back and pick up a gen 3 Spot. I am not overly tech savvy and I am looking for a basic unit with an inexpensive service plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I would return the Gen 1, and get the Gen 3. If the 3 is free with activation you just saved $50. bucks... Plus the 3 has a better battery life. I just may upgrade my Gen 2..

Smitty

What Smitty said. Definitely need to get either a 2 or 3 for battery life. You have to use the expensive batteries too. Get the free one!

My Gen 1 batteries last and last. I think in the last 5 years I've changed the batteries once.

I've had all three. The Gen 1 had goood battery life as Bungie says, the Gen2 ate batteries more quickly. The Gen3 is more efficient than Gen2 on batteries, and has the option of plugging it into a USB cord, and will use power from there as long as it's powered there. It will not charge batteries. The batteries are only there for backup. Also on any Gen, you can use alkalines in a pinch, but they don't last half as long as the lithiums.

Service contract is the same regardless of which one you have. Gen3 has better sat reception than Gen1, so yes, get the 3 if you can.

I've had all three. The Gen 1 had goood battery life as Bungie says, the Gen2 ate batteries more quickly. The Gen3 is more efficient than Gen2 on batteries, and has the option of plugging it into a USB cord, and will use power from there as long as it's powered there. It will not charge batteries. The batteries are only there for backup. Also on any Gen, you can use alkalines in a pinch, but they don't last half as long as the lithiums.Service contract is the same regardless of which one you have. Gen3 has better sat reception than Gen1, so yes, get the 3 if you can.
I stand corrected. It was the early Gen ll that was a battery whore. They did correct that, though. I think I have used two sets this year. I do have well over 20k between two bikes this year, though.

Make sure you read the fine print on the rebate form before pulling the trigger. Rebate isn't good if you're upgrading; has to be new service etc.

Make sure you read the various tracking options as well. The annual fees for a SPOT is a lot of money so you don't want to be surprised.

I've had all three. The Gen 1 had goood battery life as Bungie says, the Gen2 ate batteries more quickly. The Gen3 is more efficient than Gen2 on batteries, and has the option of plugging it into a USB cord, and will use power from there as long as it's powered there. It will not charge batteries. The batteries are only there for backup. Also on any Gen, you can use alkalines in a pinch, but they don't last half as long as the lithiums.Service contract is the same regardless of which one you have. Gen3 has better sat reception than Gen1, so yes, get the 3 if you can.
I stand corrected. It was the early Gen ll that was a battery whore. They did correct that, though. I think I have used two sets this year. I do have well over 20k between two bikes this year, though.
You are right, Bob, they did implement a fix for Gen2.... forgot about that. I wasn't one of the lucky ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have the gen 1 and I do get good battery life. I might just get the 3 just for giggles. I don't have the 1 under contract currently so I should have an issue with upgrade.

Thanks for the heads up Cota95, I got the spot 3 on the way. Now I have to return the old one and its a sunny 65 degree day in November. Looks like I will have to take the FJR out for a little ride to return the clearance Spot. I'm sure I can turn that into a nice couple hundred mile loop through the Minnesota lake country curves! Wooo Hoooo! Any ride in November is a bonus ride up here!

You are right, Bob, they did implement a fix for Gen2.... forgot about that. I wasn't one of the lucky ones.
Have you contacted them about fixing it?