SuperBrace gets two thumbs up!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO the FJR does not need a fork brace, in fact IF the fork brace isn't made very accurately to match the forks, it could tweak the forks and the forks would not move freely, putting more pressure/wear on the seals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put one one way back in (when did Superbrace start making them for the FJR again?) and I never really could tell much of a difference. It's still on the bike though. Hey, it's a nice polished chunk of aluminum that looks important and who doesn't need some extra unsprung weight on the front of their bike?

Good point!! I have installed one recently, the polished version. I find that the bike handles much stiffer. Probably due to the more powerful clamping connection of the two fork tubes. There is no vibration, however, or any other negative reaction in the machine. Everything is rock solid. I will soften the front suspension somewhat and see what the result will be. Since each fork tube has a separate function (I.e. one does preload and the other does rebound) the system might get a bit confused if you tie them together too much.

Good point!! I have installed one recently, the polished version. I find that the bike fells much stiffer. Probably due to the more powerful clamping connection of the two fork tubes. There is no vibration, however, or any other negative reaction in the machine. Everything is rock solid. I will soften the front suspension somewhat and see what the result will be. Since each fork tube has a separate function (I.e. both do preload and the one does rebound) the system might get a bit confused if you tie them together too much.

My experience was also that the suspension felt stiffer. It felt stiffer because the forks were being "bound" by the brace causing increased friction in slide bushings. This caused the forks to not be able to respond to the smaller variations in road surface. Removing the brace cured that.

Stiffer is not always better. YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience was also that the suspension felt stiffer. It felt stiffer because the forks were being "bound" by the brace causing increased friction in slide bushings. This caused the forks to not be able to respond to the smaller variations in road surface. Removing the brace cured that.
Stiffer is not always better. YMMV
Good point.

I see no one with a 2014ES has expressed a need to brace the forks. As an old guy who wants to extend his riding days, I think I'll just take it easy going into the great twisties offered here in the west.