SuperBrace Installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TwoWheelNut has this one and I believe TWN was involved in helping Larry design his risers.
And this is suppose to inspire confidence how? :D
Too funny. More to just show that MCL is known on this board and not someone you should be concerned about dealing with. To note MCL real job is in engineering for aerospace and defense so he is no back yard mechanic FWIW... His brace also shows to be stronger than many others FWIW
BZZZZZZZ! Wrong.

It was Ojai Roy who helped MCL prototype his brace. I did the prototyping on his risers (both standard and 6 degree). Larry is completely responsible for the engineering, machining and specifications for the risers and brace. I will only take credit for the suggestion that he develop the 6 degree risers. I have the original Superbrace on my bike from a previous buy as Larry had not come out with his yet.

To correct you there sparky, Larry does indeed have an extensive engineering education and background, however, his main business was/is the design and engineering of top notch live bait wells, hence his other nom du forums, LivebaitLarry. You are correct in stating that he ain't no back yard mechanic. He's a pretty damn smart feller...

Hey Rad? If you put a couple of drops of STP on that brace it will further smooth out the front end. True. Andy told me so. ;)
Look again TWN I said risers...

TwoWheelNut has this one and I believe TWN was involved in helping Larry design his risers.
And this is suppose to inspire confidence how? :D
Too funny. More to just show that MCL is known on this board and not someone you should be concerned about dealing with. To note MCL real job is in engineering for aerospace and defense so he is no back yard mechanic FWIW... His brace also shows to be stronger than many others FWIW
BZZZZZZZ! Wrong.

It was Ojai Roy who helped MCL prototype his brace. I did the prototyping on his risers (both standard and 6 degree). Larry is completely responsible for the engineering, machining and specifications for the risers and brace. I will only take credit for the suggestion that he develop the 6 degree risers. I have the original Superbrace on my bike from a previous buy as Larry had not come out with his yet.

To correct you there sparky, Larry does indeed have an extensive engineering education and background, however, his main business was/is the design and engineering of top notch live bait wells, hence his other nom du forums, LivebaitLarry. You are correct in stating that he ain't no back yard mechanic. He's a pretty damn smart feller...

Hey Rad? If you put a couple of drops of STP on that brace it will further smooth out the front end. True. Andy told me so. ;)
Look again TWN I said risers...
I got the engineering for aerospace and such from his website. I had forgotten about the fishing stuff though...

I looked again...

I was clarifying who did what and as to which brace I had. Could've phrased it better though...

Thanks for the help, guys...
Okay, I think I understand...just epoxy the upright portion of the OEM guard

to the back of the short Superbrace one...no problem there.

Sparky3008...Thanks for your efforts....don't know what I was thinking there.

It's clear as a bell...(DOH!!) Also, thanks for the tip with SportBikeEffects...I'll

have to order my Powerlet from him.

As far as a brace, I've already spent my cash on the SuperBrace (now I have

a 2nd and 3rd gen...the gull-wing is going on my bike, so I have one for sale).

Also, I already have the Moko's, so those will be going on as well.

Anyone recommend bar end weights? I was looking at at the Salamander,

but I'm not too sure...anyone have them? How do they look?

Radman...Unfortunately, due to my job, I don't get a chance to ride as

often as I like, so I probably wont need to change my fork oil for quite

some time, but you're right...forks off would be ideal, but it isn't needed.

Thanks again, gentlemen...always a pleasure (I love this forum). You guys

are great!!

Jim
Bar Ends.

Many types used by many but I found a quick trip to my local Suzuki shop easier. I bought the bar ends for the Hyabusa and they are black and look great. You don't save any money this way but you don't pay for shipping. :D

P8180193.jpg

I looked again...

I was clarifying who did what and as to which brace I had. Could've phrased it better though...
Thanks for clarifying. I didn't know who was involved in the fork brace as I believe Larry has a Honda ST.

WC (or whoever),

I'm not familiar with "anti-seize" compound. Is there a brand-name

someone could recommend? How much do I use on the bolts?

As I've stated before, I'm really new at this "maintain-it-yourself"

stuff.

I understand the concept of dissimilar metal corrosion, but what

would be the benefit to using an anti-seize compound instead of

Loc-Tite (or something similar)?

(My) inquiring mind wants to know (ain't no such thing as a

stupid question).

Jim

WC (or whoever),

Just ask anybody at an auto parts store for some. Just apply enough to coat the threads. You don't want that stuff oozing out all over the place.

WC (or whoever),

stuff.

stupid question).

Jim
Stuff does just what the name implies-prevents fastener and fastenee from becoming as one. Also great for spark plugs, exhaust studs and nuts, and executives in unruly foreign nations.

Last edited by a moderator:
WC (or whoever),

stuff.

stupid question).

Jim
Loc-Tite actually makes a stick anti-seize. This is the one I use. Just rub the stick all around the bolt, good to go...

Loc-Tite brand name makes the red and blue tube liquid that most think of Loc-tite and it is kind of like putting a glue on the thread. When it dries up the bolt won't vibrate loose but on dissimilar metals it can be strong enough to cause the threads to strip when removing.

The Anti-seize (whatever brand in my case Lock-tite) coats the bolts so that over time heat and rust won't cause the bolt to be difficult to remove and it won't strip the threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked again...

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't know who was involved in the fork brace as I believe Larry has a Honda ST.
Correct. He indeed does have a Barcalounger. :D