Surrounded by PUSSIES!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning a trip to the VA mountains next week where the temps are in the 30's. Wife and kids are taking the Yukon and I'm taking the bike because I've got to be back in Florida a couple of days before they want to come back. So I just changed over to my winter tire for the rear, a 195/55/16 runflat on the Wing. Damn thing sticks like glue wet or dry pavement. And I must admit the Wing is much better at handling the cold air better than the FJR. So does that make me a pussy?

I woke up to 17 deg this morning, not as cold as the Eastern WA. but broke a 90 year old record. I hope there won't be snow this weekend for the motocycle show.

And I must admit the Wing is much better at handling the cold air better than the FJR. So does that make me a pussy?
If you turn your Wingabago's air deflectors to blow the cold air on you, this will eliminate pussification status. ;) :D
That won't happen until about March. Glad to see you're still out there causing trouble. :D

Anyone riding into work with me in the morning?
My name is Harald and I'm stupid (or hardcore depending on who you ask).

We can't quite get that cold over here west of the mountains, but today was my second 16 degree 25 mile ride to work this week. :cold: Wednesday was 14 or less, but I was stuck taking the kid to the dentist, so I missed out on the coldest day of the week. We're nice and dry over here also, so no much ice risk.

I might qualify for craziest rider of the week though. Last friday I left my home at 6am for a 3 hour ride to Oregon City, OR for my GP Suspension fork rebuild. It was a nice 25 degrees for most of the trip with occasional freezing fog. Yeah, it wasn't too cold but I made up for it with duration (3 hours). And we all know that duration is important. :D Dave was surprised to see me due to the snow forecast. Huh?! No one said anything about snow! But I was committed at that point.

I took the long way home to test out the new Ohlins rear shock and rebuilt forks, but had to hold back because there was frosty/icy roads in the shade between Morton and home. And then I did hit heavy rain mixed with snow in Graham just before getting home. The lengths we're willing to go to for that next farkle for our FJR's! :eek: :dribble: :rolleyes: :yahoo:

what now???
I see your

New_Orleans.gif

and raise you one

winter_haven.gif

You guys know that we have no idea what the temp was when you posted those, right?

Although it's odd that the time is different by several minutes. Yesterday it was only 1 minute. I guess Louisiana is falling further and further behind!

EDIT: One refresh later, and they're the same time (accounting for Central vs. Eastern.)

EDIT 2: What my phone says about my weather: It was cold this morning, but we still haven't dropped to freezing.

phoneweather_sm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You be one bad ass mofo, my bike is sitting in the garage and I’m over here in Portland staying in my mobile man cave with frozen drain pipes. Cant piss in the shitter, oh well. My wife just told me she is seeing snow at our house in Hermiston..

Heading for Seattle for some dark liquor and cigars, maybe I’ll be seeing you there. I bet I-90 will be a little challenging this weekend.

The bike is only in the garage because I’m in this bastion for liberal non-sense.

Does rain count for Pussyeyetis?

I won't leave on the bike if it's raining on the ride *to* work.

No big deal getting rained on the way home, like tonight.

Hot shower, dry clothes, a 7&7 at the ready... all is good then.

Here in DC the temp is supposed to be 22 when I head out for work tomorrow. I plan on taking the bike. Assuming I do, I'll be calling out the pussies tomorrow at work!

Oh and I should point out that my ride is 28 miles at speeds in excess of 75 mph!

Does rain count for Pussyeyetis? I won't leave on the bike if it's raining on the ride *to* work.

No big deal getting rained on the way home, like tonight.

Hot shower, dry clothes, a 7&7 at the ready... all is good then.
True dat! I'm the exact same game plan. If'n it's a steady rain when it's time to go to work then it's, "Fang, can I get a ride to the train station?" But if it's scattered showers and not really coming down at my house, then off we go. Then when it clears up and it's beautiful by day's end, I think I should've ridden in, 'cause now I have to ride the train and put my face in someone's armpit. 'Course sometimes I get drenched going in, and thanks to Aerostitch, I get wet-crotch syndrome. :glare:

Going home, hell, can't leave the bike at work. But I've been caught in some nasty poo-poo coming home. Hate it. Even tonight coming home, it wasn't raining, just heavy drizzle. But the traffic was backed up on the freeway and moving very intermittently, so it was up the middle I go. But all the water on my faceshield turned my view into an acid nightmare everytime the brake lights ahead of me went on. Raising the shield gave me the sting eye. I was glad to get home.

Ok, it was 18 when I left the house. FJR readout never got below 25 for some reason but still. "I am also NOT a pussy."

Only saw one other bike on the road, a Goldwing...I think you call them Wingabego's right?

What JB said.

Cold is OK, what "cold" I get here. Rain is OK, even heavy rain.

But sitting in traffic in the rain sucks (as the thread starter says from time to time) moist ass cheese. Literally moist ass. Gloves turn to buckets, rain suit collar loses contact with my neck, rain pants waistband rolls down my gut every time i have to put feet down and back up. But honest to God, I've never had wet feet. Tour Master Solutions FTW.

But I ride in the weather, having no alternative. The missus sold her car (which I put a hefty down payment on) to her ex for her daughter to use, and "stole" the car I had available. Now the Feej is all I got. So I ride.

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this question I rode last week two mornings when the temps were 27 and 25 and my bike was "reluctant" to downshift (2000 miles) but Thursday it was almost 70 (took a half day off from work and took a 100 mile ride) and the bike was back to normal. Could this be the start of the sticking clutch plates? We've had snow a couple of times since and I haven't been back out since last Friday. I have 10 mile ride to work.

Some utterly hilarious posts...
In the DC area, nobody that rides 95, 295, 395, or 495 can be considered a pussy. You have to ride here to understand. Having said that, there are a substantial amount of WIMPS. Won't ride below 50 = WIMP. "Wah wah, it's too cold."

I can tolerate a good deal of cold for fun. Hell, ever been skiing? I've frozen my ass off at 10 degrees and had a blast. I'm late to motorcycling so maybe it's different for me. And with HOV, the bike gets me to work WAY faster than the cage. However, I will NOT risk my life unnecessarily (notice I said unnecessarily...whatever that means) to get to work.

Heated gear and some pain tolerance will go a long way to help one realize fun!
+1 on anybody that rides 95, 495 can be considered a pussy! :dribble:

They are even more pussified here in SoCal. I rode to work thursday and it was the coldest so

far this year in San Diego 40°, not a single bike in the lot (Usually there are 3-5).

Pfffft.

They are even more pussified here in SoCal. I rode to work thursday and it was the coldest so far this year in San Diego 40°, not a single bike in the lot (Usually there are 3-5).

Pfffft.
My ride home was at 40 degrees and I enjoyed it until I hit the traffic off the highway. I think a lot of these pussies are pussies because they don't have an FJR. I wouldn't want to ride anything else in the cold!

:yahoo:

It doesn't get cold enough here to worry about (low 30's at the VERY coldest) and riding in the rain doesn't bother me but I'll cage it in the rain because my commute is too short. I've got a 9 mile commute and if it's raining hard it isn't worth the trouble to dick around with rain gear each way.

Just ordered some Gerbing micro-wire heated gloves (G3). Merry Christmas.

I'd like to hear your report on those once you've tried them out. Pretty sure the wife owes me some kind of expensive present.
$150 including shipping. Back ordered. Mailing on the 28th. My #$@^*! Widder gloves gave out for the last time, and no more Widder to send them to in SoCal. So had to get some new ones. I tried the Gerbing micowires on at the motorcycle show. Feel the heat....

I find I can tolerate down to 40 wtih my thinsulate goves and liners. Below that it's too painful. Fingers ache. Then I can't control the bike as well, and am distracted by how much pain I'm in. It's a good investment. Once I had to stop and warm my fingers by my Harley engine (before I got the Widders, and the Feejer, natch).