Surrounded by PUSSIES!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn the news outlets and creating shit.. Never heard of this stuff till about 15 or so years ago ;) Doods, I've chipped out pieces of this "black ice" you speak of.. 'An unbelievably, it was infact relatively clear :blink:

Might it just be ice over a black surface? Or is it some mysterious conspiracy by an alien life form? Or worse... The gumment?

Hey I'm just gonna be "Old Fashioned" an call it ice..

ok?
I believe it's only called "black ice" because it's very thin and difficult to see, making it more hazardous. If you could chip it off and pick it up, it's probably not the kind of thing people are referring to as "black ice".

Either way, it's a pain in the ass and I hate it. May have to move farther south again.

Damn the news outlets and creating shit.. Never heard of this stuff till about 15 or so years ago ;) Doods, I've chipped out pieces of this "black ice" you speak of.. 'An unbelievably, it was infact relatively clear :blink:

Might it just be ice over a black surface? Or is it some mysterious conspiracy by an alien life form? Or worse... The gumment?

Hey I'm just gonna be "Old Fashioned" an call it ice..

ok?
I believe it's only called "black ice" because it's very thin and difficult to see, making it more hazardous. If you could chip it off and pick it up, it's probably not the kind of thing people are referring to as "black ice".

Either way, it's a pain in the ass and I hate it. May have to move farther south again.

Black Ice is when it is just barely cold enough to freeze, and so people aren't expecting the 'wet' looking spot on the road to be wet, but it is in fact Ice. Here in the frozen north, we are expecting it to be ice, because why would the road be wet when it is 20 below 0? So we just call it ice. Of course, we usually don't see the ice (or the road) because it is covered in snow, so we just assume that the entire area between the plow drifts is 1) the road and B) covered in ice. We also assume that a break in the drift is either another road, or perhaps a driveway. Sometimes this is not true, and this can lead to getting stuck in a ditch. Or it can lead to driving across a field. Sometimes, this is preferable to driving on the road anyway, because the field doesn't have as much ice. On very rare occasions, what someone thought was a break in the snowdrift and a road running down down to a parking lot is, in fact, a boat ramp leading to a frozen-over body of water. We call that "oh crap", or if the ice is thin, "oh f*ck".

Black Ice is when it is just barely cold enough to freeze, and so people aren't expecting the 'wet' looking spot on the road to be wet, but it is in fact Ice. Here in the frozen north, we are expecting it to be ice, because why would the road be wet when it is 20 below 0? So we just call it ice. Of course, we usually don't see the ice (or the road) because it is covered in snow, so we just assume that the entire area between the plow drifts is 1) the road and B) covered in ice. We also assume that a break in the drift is either another road, or perhaps a driveway. Sometimes this is not true, and this can lead to getting stuck in a ditch. Or it can lead to driving across a field. Sometimes, this is preferable to driving on the road anyway, because the field doesn't have as much ice. On very rare occasions, what someone thought was a break in the snowdrift and a road running down down to a parking lot is, in fact, a boat ramp leading to a frozen-over body of water. We call that "oh crap", or if the ice is thin, "oh f*ck".
I'm with ya. I grew up in South Dakota. Your description fits my memory nearly exactly. My school was at the top of a hill and I remember one day it rained all morning, then froze and snowed all afternoon. When we left school it was all downhill on a sheet of ice covered in snow.

I'm probably never going back. Snow is proof of an angry god.

Since my friggin' FJR is sidelined with a fork leaking oil all over my garage floor I had to ride the old Shadow this week. 13 degrees with no windscreen or electric on that thing is brutal for 65 mile roundtrips. I swear, just as my fingers started to regain some feeling and quite tingling it was time to ride home again.

Damn, I gott get that fork fixed, and fast.