Suzuki Bandit vs FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Blue Thunder

I'm still waiting for my 06 FJR. My dealer says it arrive in "May". Anyway, I sold my 99 Bandit 1200S this Spring so I guess I'm one of the waiters.

I've taken the leap of faith by purchasing the FJR primarily with recommendations from other riders, rider reports from various mags and website postings. I'm used to riding sport bikes so I doubt the horsepower and riding position of the FJR will prove overwhelming for me. I'm wondering if anyone in the group has owned a Suzuki Bandit in the past and can opine on the major differences I can expect.

I have a 2003 Bandit and I just got an 06 FJR. You will definitely be able to ride greater distances in comfort. The FJR sits better and has more wind protection. The FJR has more power, but since it is heavier they are about equal. The lighter Bandit is more nimble but anything short or pure twisties I enjoy the FJR more. Plus no chain to mess with is great. I am actually getting better gas mileage with the FJR too. The wife likes the rear seat on the FJR over the Bandit. Any other questions? :assassin:

I owned a 91 Suzuki GSX1100G (the predessor to the Bandit) w shaft drive. It was a good bike, but the FJR uses the available technology to make a great motorcycle. I initially kept the G (a 91 w/ about 4K miles) but found that with the FJR ownership, never really wanted to ride it anymore. I took two identical rides, one on a Saturday w/ the FJR and on Sunday w/ the G. It made up my mind to let it go. Another reason that the decision was hard was that the G got me back into motorcycling after about a 10 year absence. I really think you won't look back w/ the FJR.

Hi Blue Thunder,

My comparison.

I own a 2001 B12S. I love the bike. I have ridden the 04' and 05' FJR. I would say the power (acceleration/torque) is about the same. The FJR is smoother and the seat is a little more comfortable. The FJR's suspension is more harse than the Bandit. The fairing on the FJR offers better chest protection but the same amout of helmet buffetting than the Bandit, I'm 5'9". With the shield up its just as noisey in my helmet than on the Bandit and with the windshiled down its a little better but not much. ALOT more heat coming from the engine on the FJR than the Bandit.

I am really torn because I don't see a great difference in overall performance between the two bikes with the exception of the features. The FJR has a shaft, ABS, FI, larger tank and hard bags but from a performance/handling stand point the bikes are the same with the FJR not as good in the suspension department. The Bandit is more nimble and easier to flick around both at speed and slow riding.

I will ride the 06' FJR at Lake George this year so I will have to see how much better it is over the 05'.

If the 06' is still not a big improvement over the 05', I may just wait until the 07' FJR comes out in October of this year. I love my B12S so I would have no problem waiting for what I think is the bike to beat the Bandit more than the 05' did.

Rob

I had a 2001 Bandit 1200 naked version that I sold and then picked up an 05 FJR. As mentioned the windprotection on the FJR is great as well as the seating position. I had a Corbin on my Bandit and I'd say it was just as comfy as my Corbin on my FJR. The main thing I miss about the Bandit is it's sport riding potential. The FJR is really heavy in comparison, but hey, you can't have you cake and eat it too right. If I had to do it again, I would've kept the B12 and then bought an FJR. Different bikes for different purposes.

p.s. Bandit had Racetech suspension up front and a Busa shock in the rear. The FJR is stock. I'm sure this is why I feel the B12 handled so much better.

Mike

I had a 2001 Bandit 1200 naked version that I sold and then picked up an 05 FJR. As mentioned the windprotection on the FJR is great as well as the seating position. I had a Corbin on my Bandit and I'd say it was just as comfy as my Corbin on my FJR. The main thing I miss about the Bandit is it's sport riding potential. The FJR is really heavy in comparison, but hey, you can't have you cake and eat it too right. If I had to do it again, I would've kept the B12 and then bought an FJR. Different bikes for different purposes.
p.s. Bandit had Racetech suspension up front and a Busa shock in the rear. The FJR is stock. I'm sure this is why I feel the B12 handled so much better.

Mike

Hi Blue Thunder,
My comparison.

I own a 2001 B12S. I love the bike. I have ridden the 04' and 05' FJR. I would say the power (acceleration/torque) is about the same. The FJR is smoother and the seat is a little more comfortable. The FJR's suspension is more harse than the Bandit. The fairing on the FJR offers better chest protection but the same amout of helmet buffetting than the Bandit, I'm 5'9". With the shield up its just as noisey in my helmet than on the Bandit and with the windshiled down its a little better but not much. ALOT more heat coming from the engine on the FJR than the Bandit.

I am really torn because I don't see a great difference in overall performance between the two bikes with the exception of the features. The FJR has a shaft, ABS, FI, larger tank and hard bags but from a performance/handling stand point the bikes are the same with the FJR not as good in the suspension department. The Bandit is more nimble and easier to flick around both at speed and slow riding.

I will ride the 06' FJR at Lake George this year so I will have to see how much better it is over the 05'.

If the 06' is still not a big improvement over the 05', I may just wait until the 07' FJR comes out in October of this year. I love my B12S so I would have no problem waiting for what I think is the bike to beat the Bandit more than the 05' did.

Rob

Thanks for all your responses. I also liked the performance and handling of the bandit. I modified the Bandit with Yoshimura exhaust and separate air pods so the bike really moved out. However, the RPM at highway cruising speeds, 80-85 MPH, was too high at 5200. The gas mileage, due to my mods, at 30 MPG was ridiculous too. The powerband on the Bandit was not linear either. It did move out from 5000-9000 RPM. Finally, the carbs were fickle and easily clogged despite using gas additives. Yes, the carbs were taken out and cleaned during the off season.

While the HP to the rear wheel on the FJR is a little better, the stated torque of the FJR appears greater. So, I'm hoping the "roll on" power in 5th gear will be noticeably different. The top end on my Bandit was only 140 MPH on the odo so I think the FJR has a little power at high speeds. I'm not a speed demon, but the lowlands in mountainous regions come calling from time to time.

I'm definitely looking forward to shaft drive, fuel injection and a more comfortable ride for long distances. I generally keep bikes for many years. I'm hoping to get 100K on the FJR while I had serious doubts about the reliability of the Bandit.