Suzuki hand guard installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockmurf

IBA #31100
Reaction score
My question is what are the small nuts and bolts for on installation of the handguards. If anything is looks like longer bolts are needs to thread thru the handguard and the levers. So any assistance you can be would be appreciated and I did do the search and I read the instr. and looked at the pictures but other than dremeling out the bar end side I couldn't tell how they did the other side of the guard installation. Bolted to what? Thanks

Did you get Suzuki 650 or 1000 handguards? When I bought some, I mistakenly bought the ones for a 650. The clutch side took some considerable modification since it was made for a Suzuki with a clutch cable.

Did you get Suzuki 650 or 1000 handguards? When I bought some, I mistakenly bought the ones for a 650. The clutch side took some considerable modification since it was made for a Suzuki with a clutch cable.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that did that!

rockmurf, can I assume you bought the install kit from FJRGoodies? Mine came with a little paper bag full of nuts and bolts. The two long bolts replace the bolts holding the clutch and brake lever. The clutch lever bolt will thread all the way in, the brake will not. If you want the handguards to be level you need to fab up a spacer. Here is a blurry pic:

fjr.jpg

The red box shows the long bolt with the spacer in the green box. I chose to reuse the black nuts from the stock bolts, you will find chrome replacement locknuts in the bag. There are two chrome phillips head screws, you can see mine in the top of the bolt, these will hold the handguard on with washers. There are two more larger nuts in the bag, use these to fasten the bottom of the handguard to the long bolt in the pic, also with washers.

Last edited by a moderator:
the referenced article says a little bit about the 2003 Suzuki DL-1000 V-Strom ones, but then goes into great detail abou the 2004 ones. Did anyone do the 2003 ones? how much cutting is needed? do I need a parts bag of screws and bolts?

thanks

the referenced article says a little bit about the 2003 Suzuki DL-1000 V-Strom ones, but then goes into great detail abou the 2004 ones. Did anyone do the 2003 ones? how much cutting is needed? do I need a parts bag of screws and bolts?
thanks
Good question, I called FJRGoodies and told them I needed a V-Strom handguard kit for an FJR. They shipped the guards with a bag of fasteners, no clue what year they fit.

rockmurf, can I assume you bought the install kit from FJRGoodies? Mine came with a little paper bag full of nuts and bolts. The two long bolts replace the bolts holding the clutch and brake lever. The clutch lever bolt will thread all the way in, the brake will not. If you want the handguards to be level you need to fab up a spacer. Here is a blurry pic:
fjr.jpg

The red box shows the long bolt with the spacer in the green box. I chose to reuse the black nuts from the stock bolts, you will find chrome replacement locknuts in the bag. There are two chrome phillips head screws, you can see mine in the top of the bolt, these will hold the handguard on with washers. There are two more larger nuts in the bag, use these to fasten the bottom of the handguard to the long bolt in the pic, also with washers.
It appears to me that all that is needed are two longer bolts for the clutch and brake levers with washers and nuts. I don't know what the smaller screws are for.

The only screws that came with mine are the phillips head screws that go in the top of the long bolts. They are short, have a large head, and are chrome. You can see them in the pic.

I bought what they spec'd out in the article, fjr tech and it didn't include any long bolts(l" or longer), just a couple of 1/4 inchers. that I think is my problem

I bought what they spec'd out in the article, fjr tech and it didn't include any long bolts(l" or longer), just a couple of 1/4 inchers. that I think is my problem
Um..... no, that is incorrect.

The FJRTech article does, in fact, list the two main hardware fasteners that are CRITICAL to a proper Hand Guard installation/operation.

The Suzuki part number you need: 57431-06G00

As the FJRTech article correctly states, you need two (2) of these bolts.

These truly are the only really "special" attachment hardware that you need to obtain from FJRGoodies/your dealer/whomever. All other attachment hardware - washers, nyloc nuts, etc - are easily sourced at your local Ace Hardware or equivalent.

All the above having been said, the data that FJRForum member Rick Martin provided for this FJRTech article does indeed use the nomenclature "screw" for part number 57431-06G00, which may be part of the confusion here. Suzuki refers to this part in their fiche as "BOLT,LEVER", so I have amended the name change to reflect that.

Um..... no, that is incorrect.

The FJRTech article does, in fact, list the two main hardware fasteners that are CRITICAL to a proper Hand Guard installation/operation.

The Suzuki part number you need: 57431-06G00

As the FJRTech article correctly states, you need two (2) of these bolts.

These truly are the only really "special" attachment hardware that you need to obtain from FJRGoodies, your dealer/whomever. All other attachment hardware - washers, nyloc nuts, etc - are easily sourced at your local Ace Hardware or equivalent.

All the above having been said, the data that FJRForum member Rick Martin provided for this FJRTech article does indeed use the nomenclature "screw" for part number 57431-06G00, which may be part of the confusion here. Suzuki refers to this part in their fiche as "BOLT,LEVER", so I have amended the name change to reflect that.
You are indeed correct. When I went back over the shipping order it also appears that they sent the wrong hand guard and did not send the nuts and screws that i need for the install which is the source of my frustration and my apparent stupidity. I still don't know what the smaller nuts and screws are for. I also have 4 washers. Oh well. Thanks for the info. Everett

I still don't know what the smaller nuts and screws are for. I also have 4 washers. Oh well. Thanks for the info. Everett
I just found my close-up of how I ended up installing mine. I did use a couple different parts (extra washers) than came in the bag, but it might be of help. Source is here including additional pictures. And also a more modern thread on the later generation of handguards.

20051212068.jpg

I still don't know what the smaller nuts and screws are for. I also have 4 washers. Oh well. Thanks for the info. Everett
I just found my close-up of how I ended up installing mine. I did use a couple different parts (extra washers) than came in the bag, but it might be of help. Source is here including additional pictures. And also a more modern thread on the later generation of handguards.

20051212068.jpg
Outstanding photo, Iggy; I must add this to that FJRTech article.

FYI: the hardware labeled "custom piece" is indeed that special Suzuki bolt, p/n 57431-06G00.

Now that you have the FZ6, do you think the 650 handguards will fit it. I have just ordered the DL1000 guards for my FJR but

I'm thinking of ordering the 650 guards for fitment to the SO's bike.

Hi all, can someone confirm that these P/Ns (57541-06G10-291 & 57341-27G00-291) as found on FJRTech site are indeed the hand guards with the tabs that attach to the barends. The reason I ask is that the image shown on the Suzuki parts fiche do not show the tabs - I suspect they reused the earlier tabless image...

BTW, these guards cost $13.43 & $11.91 respectively at Babbits Sports: Babbitts

The required longer bolts are also $10.70 each.