Suzuki salesmen drooling over my '05 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about the 2006 euro XJR1300 ???

2006_XJR1300_Color_Galaxy-Blue_tcm26-87200.jpg

It isn't a six cylinder...but a rather retro designed air cooled naked version of the super-sport tourer we all love.

It isn't available in the U.S. market YET!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhhhh The Repair Man…I think you must have arrived about 30 years too late to the party. That naked Yammie is limp-dick material. Back to some “schwwwwwwwwing"! :dribble:

ezmmph.jpg

Thanx RM, that makes sense.  It also explains why the wifey's old BMW straight 6 and the V6 in her crap '95 Camry run so good (and sound like a sewing machines).

I have the CW mag article and the bike looks OK, I like the half naked look. The front faring looks like an effective forest rat rake, but I doubt it would last longer than one kill :D
Careful there, like I said, the V-6 is a whole different animal than an I-6. The V-6 is inherently a shaker. To smooth them manufacturers have used balance shafts, as well as offset rod journals to quell the vibes. The original GM 3.8 V6, first made in the mid-60's, and now arguably one of their best engines, was a low horse piece of shakin' shit until a balance shaft running above and in line with the camshaft was introduced in the late 80's, a few years after they seperated the rod journals, evening the power pulses. They distinguished them by calling the older version the "odd-fire", the newer one the "even-fire". This article illustrates the difference, and will further muddle the waters concerning engine balance.... :D

https://home.off-road.com/~merls_garage/oddfire.html

Any comments on how a motorcycle inline-6 would compare in smoothness to Hondas flat/opposed 6 they use in the GW/Valk?

Ahhhhh The Repair Man…I think you must have arrived about 30 years too late to the party. That naked Yammie is limp-dick material.
True ...I guess I always want what I can't have. Like the Yamaha 900TDM.

2006_TDM900A_Color_Diamond-Black_tcm26-87146.jpg

I would like to see a naked FJR though! :rolleyes:

Any comments on how a motorcycle inline-6 would compare in smoothness to Hondas flat/opposed 6 they use in the GW/Valk?
I think an engine's primary vibs can be engineered out of any cylinder configuration.

A flat six SHOULD have a much lower center of gravity which MAY equate to better handling.

Honda has an awful lot of those cc thingys in their power plant too, 1800 I think which MIGHT make a bunch more horse pressure. :blink:

... BUT are probably there just for the extra torque!

A flat six SHOULD have a much lower center of gravity which MAY equate to better handling.
Honda has an awful lot of those cc thingys in their power plant too, 1800 I think which might make a bunch more horse pressure.
CCs don't mean a lot today....Interestingly, Suzuki’s concept Inline-6 1100cc (with todays tech they are using in the liter bikes)…I see no reason they can’t produce upwards of 200 HP to the crank. Very cool.

Help, my thread has been hi-jacked. I've fallen and my wife's Camry V-6 can't get it up ;)

OK, back to the original topic. Around here I don't know of a single Suzuki dealer that doesn't also sell Yamahas and a couple of other brands. If they feel they could sell some FJRs then they should either get one for the floor or at least hang a poster or two so prospective customers would know that the FJR exists.

I really think there is something here, for marketing and sales. My wife has a Bergman 400 for zipping to the store and back (900 miles in two years, two miles at a time). She also has a Ridley for going more than 10 or 15 miles, and to ride with my daughter and me. She has often said that she wants a 1000cc plus engine, the zip of a CBR1100XX, and the comfort of an FJR. She has also often said that it MUST have an automatic transmission; there is no FUN for her in the shifting. I have no idea what the depth of this market might be, but I am sure some major manufacturer will find out.

I really think there is something here, for marketing and sales.  My wife has a Bergman 400 for zipping to the store and back (900 miles in two years, two miles at a time).  She also has a Ridley for going more than 10 or 15 miles, and to ride with my daughter and me.  She has often said that she wants a 1000cc plus engine, the zip of a CBR1100XX, and the comfort of an FJR.  She has also often said that it MUST have an automatic transmission; there is no FUN for her in the shifting.  I have no idea what the depth of this market might be, but I am sure some major manufacturer will find out.
Both Honda and Victory are planning 8-900 cc versions of what your better half is looking for.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?page=mot...=NEWS_NEW-BIKES

https://news.motorcycle.com/article.motml?sid=3484

I have a Burgman 650 and am switching my 05 FJR for the AE as soon as available. I have other manual transmission bikes for trips into the past!