SW-Motech Extension left/right specific?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazglenn3

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
My bike has the SW-Motech mirror extensions on it. The Left side mirror looks fine but the angle of the right mirror looks off. I was wondering if any of you that bought these remember if they are left/right specific or directional when mounted on the bike? I'm just wondering if it is something that is easily fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't provide any guidance on the Motech extensions. Is it possible the bike has been dropped on the RH side?

Check the distance between the mirror stalks and say edge of windshield. Should be roughly equal...

--G

Could very well be the Motech extensions then or perhaps the assembly isn't mounted / tightened properly.
unknw.gif

--G

Chazglenn3, Three options; (1) loosen the mount nuts and see if your can re-align the mirror. (2) remove the marginally effective extenders and get FZ1 mirrors which are fully adjustable. (3) sell the extenders to some unwitting buyer to recoup some of the cost. Harsh advice but effective results.

RH measurement smaller than left? If the bike has been dropped and depending on severity, the front subframe typically gets tweaked a little. Not a big deal, but changes the angle of the mirror and stalk measurement.

Good luck!

--G

Best advice I can give to check the mounting frame is to remove the extenders, mount the mirrors as OEM, measure the gap between stems and the edge of the screen. This will tell you immediately if the mounting frame has been "tweaked", it's only about quarter of an inch, very easy to spot if it's wrong..

After my bike fell over (blown over by the wind) ...
(Click on image for larger view)

... I had to straighten my mirror mounting frame.

(No need to take the fairing off if there's no other damage.)

After straightening:

I've put three sets of these mirror extenders on my and my buddy's bikes. They can be turned a couple different ways when being installed which makes a subtle difference aesthetically. If flipped one of the ways, the base of the mirror doesn't line up perfectly with the edge of the extender and protrudes slightly on one long side. On the different sets I've installed, the stickers on the extenders have not been consistently on the top or bottom, and with one set one sticker was top and one was under. I peeled those stickers off with my finger nail and used goo gone to clean it up. Anyway, I don't think any of this will make any difference to the functionality so ... see above.

Okay. This morning I had a little free time, so I decided to install my Battery Tender pigtail on the Feejer. Since I was in the area, I also thought I would look at the mirror. Found the smoking gun. One of the two mirror mounting bolts is sheared off in the spacer that installs with the extender. So, the torque is uneven causing the weird angle. The mirror appears to be a two-part affair...hopefully I can get just the base from Yamaha. And if I can't get the broken bolt out of the spacer, hopefully SW-Motech sells parts.

... The mirror appears to be a two-part affair...hopefully I can get just the base from Yamaha. ...
I think you will be unlucky, I believe they only come as a whole assembly.

Last edited by a moderator:
find a used 08 mirror for that side....

Ebay..... or post up here WTB 08 mirrors.....

Thought I saw a few mirrors (not sure year) no too long ago.....

Get rid of those extenders, spend the equivelant of one FJR mirror and buy a set of FZ1 mirrors. Ride happily into the sunset. Sell those extenders to someone else and be out a total of about $40.