SW-MOTECH rack and Givi case install with pic's!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty141

My name is Smitty.. And I have a motorcycle proble
Reaction score
I received my rack and givi top case with adapter plate and here is how it went...

Stock rear rack...

155mjno.jpg

Heres the brackets that hold the new sw-tech plate on..

155mlpk.jpg

Be sure to put the 1/4 turn nuts on the bottom before you bolt the plate on, or like me you will have to remove it...and re install it...

155mn0x.jpg

Here's the rack installed...

155mpnq.jpg

Here is the adapter plate that can be removed for a

cleaner look when the trunk is not on..

EZ on EZ off

155ncc3.jpg

Here it is with the box on...

155nech.jpg

155nex0.jpg

and with out it...

155niiv.jpg

Is is solid, and sits very nice...Time to sit back

and enjoy!!! :yahoo: :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job smitty, looks good! For those who have asked, the givi adapter plate that bolts onto the SWmoto rack does indeed appear able to accept the tail-light connection kit. The hole to the left of the lock 'stub' is the recepticle for the connector that fits to the bike. You would have to cut the wiring and mount an SAE or other waterproof quick connector so as to remove the adapter plate, but it's do-able.

You planning on going somewhere, Smitty? Didn't think you were the "Top Case" kind of guy. Have to admit that Adam knows what his is for, though. Not rain suits, but BREWSKI!!!!!!!!

Really don't need it. But my wife needs something to lean back on. Plus next time we go to Arkansas, I can ice down the cool drinks in it... :p Smitty

smitty,

Wondering where you purchased the adapter plate and how much. I already have a Givi monokey rack and need only the adapter plate.

BMort

smitty,

Correction, I have the Givie Monokey case and need the rack and adapter plate.

BMort

smitty,Wondering where you purchased the adapter plate and how much. I already have a Givi monokey rack and need only the adapter plate.

BMort

smitty,

BMort
BMort, I bought it from a place on the east coast. The name of the place was twisted throttle. Great service and had it in a few days... Smitty

twisted throttle

smitty,Wondering where you purchased the adapter plate and how much. I already have a Givi monokey rack and need only the adapter plate.

BMort

smitty,

BMort

Is that a 52 or 46 Givi?

I was looking at Twisted Throttle web site, and the rear plate also comes in black(I think would look better on the FASTER Blue bike..my mistake)..

Cost for the bike plate.. $114.99

Adapter plate $30.00

DCarver, it is a 46L top box. Hope this helps, Smitty

Doesn't appear as though they have it in for the 2006 model yet.

BMort

Smitty, your bag really doesn't move at all?

I just installed mine today, and it is anything but secure. If I poke at it it

wobbles around. Im really disappointed in the rack so far.

I can't think of what I could have done wrong since the install is pretty straight forward. Any ideas???

Just curious, why get this rack as opposed to the Givi setup?
The Givi setup is UGLY and causes you to lose your factory grab rail. (or did) maybe that's changed.

This is a very nice looking change of pace. I think I'll go this route for the 06 model when it's available.

MD

Just curious, why get this rack as opposed to the Givi setup?
The Givi setup is UGLY and causes you to lose your factory grab rail. (or did) maybe that's changed.

This is a very nice looking change of pace. I think I'll go this route for the 06 model when it's available.

MD
What Renegade said, the Givi mount to me looks bad. Plus with this setup I bought a rear rack that goes on the same quick way. On or off in seconds. And there are 2 sizes, with lots of holes for bungies, tiedowns, ect... Hope this helps, Smitty

I can't think of what I could have done wrong since the install is pretty straight forward. Any ideas???
I have a friend who just purchased one of these racks for her VFR about 2 months ago. She was riding in front of me & I thought that her Givi trunk was going to bounce off into my travel path. It was that bad.

She did some alterations such as replacing plastic fasteners w/ metal & adding rubber bumpers so that the case's latch would come in solid contact with the Mo-Tech latch. No go... it was definitely better than completely stock but it was still bouncy. She decided to bite the bullet & buy Givi's rack to replace it. She decided to chock it up to a monetary loss in the name of safety since it was too late to get a refund for the rack.

Not saying that this is a problem w/ all of their racks but you might agree that quality control isn't job #1.

Heidi

I was out in the shop playing with my bike. I put the trunk on just to see how much moving around it really does. It was fine with my wife leaning back on it. Just thought I would really check it out before my trip to Atlanta. It is alittle wobbly.... So what I ended up mounting it like a factory top case. Drilled the bodywork used some 110mm bolts and made spacers to fit. After doing that the rear bracket I left it off. It is solid now, plus it still goes off and on quick and easy. Not the way it should be, but the way it is now I won't worry about it going anywhere... So if your thinking about this setup, you might do it this way... Smitty

Whether or not it is ugly I guess is a matter of opinion. The color that it comes in probably clashes with every year other than the '03. As far as the grab rail, the Givi rack has a better grab rail in my opinion. Not to mention that it is actually made of steel not plastic. But I guess if you are interested in being able to remove the entire rack and not just the case then the Givi rack definietly won't work.