SWFOG

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Living in southern Utah I would be in for a central, northern Arizona meet. I would say end of September around Payson would be nice. My buddy and his mother owned the Oxbow bar in Payson for a few years, they've now sold it. It's a nice little town with cool temps, great roads all around.

Really, anywhere in the central mountains would be nice. Excellent roads (sometimes very crowded), cool temps, lots of scenery.

I avoid Phoenix like the plague........as I do all big cities. Big traffic and busy, bitchy people are no place for a bike ralley. IMHO

ScooterG & Vectorvp,

How about ending up on the North rim of the Grand Canyon? There's great camping up there, neat old log cabins you can rent, and a really cool lodge overlooking the Canyon that's not nearly as busy as the South rim.

Also, I'd be willing to put together the raffle again this year. I raised $800 for a non-profit and would like to help them out again this year. I've already got the contacts for raffle items from last year. For those who weren't there, the raffle included a lot of goodies ranging from Super Braces to gift cards worth $100 from a local Yamaha dealer. That said, you're organizing the FOG & if you want to do the raffle too, that's OK with me. B)

Camping? CAMPING?! Old cabins? CABINS!? The only camping I do is at Camp Marriott and the last time I checked, old cabins didn't have room service and 400 TC sheets. :unsure:

Ooooh, the North Rim. There is a road that turns left from HWY 67 (the main road to the rim) that takes you to Cape Royal and Walhalla Overlook. I don't know what the name of this road is but it's the only paved road that turns left once your in the park. Anyway.............it's a curvey bastard. The first part of it has lots of cool 2nd gear banked turns....... some similar to what you would find at Deals Gap.

Probably see a park ranger in there somewhere since it's a deadend, but at the most you would probably only get a "too fast for conditions" ticket. I doubt there is any straight away long enough to run radar. :D

ALT 89 across the Kaibab Plateau past Jacob Lake and down the mountain to the bridge over Marble Canyon is really fun as well. Couldn't really avoid this road if you were going to the North Rim anyhow.

Probably see a park ranger in there somewhere since it's a deadend, but at the most you would probably only get a "too fast for conditions" ticket. I doubt there is any straight away long enough to run radar.
Careful inside the park. The rangers do run radar and don't have a great sense of humor. Don't ask me how I know this. That being said, the North Rim is Way nicer than the South Rim. :eek:

Don't really care when or where, with enough lead time I will be there. Glad to help if I can. I would sure like to converse or swap e-mails with someone who has put on a rally. My club is looking at doing one, and we have zero experience. I seem to be the lead dog on this particular run so any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. BTW I am in the DFW area.

Any new words on SWFOG? We seem high centered no both when and where. Leadership, guidence, decisivness. Maybe a leader?

Sorry guys, life seems to be kicking my ass lately.

SWFOG is still a go. I'm leading it up with the assistance a few other forum members. Right now I havent published an official date or route due to various complications. For example, one of the hotels I wanted to use it booked the entire month of September!

Stay tuned, I'll be posting some more definate information within the next week or so.