Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harlonbrando

Reaction score
2007 fjr, had all updates, had spyder problem, fixed that last year. Now sometimes won't start. Turn ignition on, gauges do their thing with sweeping needles, hit starter button, nothing. Sometimes have to push starter button 3-5 times before engine turns over and when it does it immediately starts. Checked battery 12.4 volts, cables clean and tight. Don't want to get far from home and have bike fail to start. This is an intermitant problem, has happened 3-4 times in the last 20-30 attempts to start. Thanks, Don

Don,

After fixing the spider problem last time, did you install auxiliary grounding help, the Brodie harness or something similar? If not, the spider problem will return and you may be seeing the beginning of it again. As you know, it will eventually lead to total failure.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got sort of the same thing going on. It's my start button. Sometimes I press it, nothing, but if I wiggle it around or press harder, it starts. I've sprayed WD-40 into the switch, same thing. Seems it's next on my list of things to fix.

if it is a recurrence of the spider the turn signal indicators will be lighted while it is refusing to start.

if it is a recurrence of the spider the turn signal indicators will be lighted while it is refusing to start.
They don't light but I noticed the check engine and abs lights on when engine is turning over before it starts. They go out immediately when engine starts running. Thanks, Don

I've got sort of the same thing going on. It's my start button. Sometimes I press it, nothing, but if I wiggle it around or press harder, it starts. I've sprayed WD-40 into the switch, same thing. Seems it's next on my list of things to fix.
I found some moisture in mine and cleaned and dried it. Still have intermitant problem. I'm thinking it my be the button but not convinced yet. Thanks, Don

...Checked battery 12.4 volts...
Not that it applies to the problem/s you're trying to solve:

But, 12.4 volts -- at the terminals of the FJR's OEM, factory fill, battery -- is only about 50% charge.

12.8V (min.) is what you should have (many good FJR batteries read 13 volts).

Good luck.

Relay is behind the battery on the left side, under the upper fairing. Follow the big positive cable from the battery, next stop is the starter relay. You should have an audible click when you press the starter button with the key on.

Make sure all those terminals are tight. Remove the ground wire from the battery before you go checking them, nothing sucks like grounding a wrench while working a 12-volt terminal!

It's also possible but less likely that there is an issue with your interlock relay, the device which checks the neutral switch, clutch switch, and sidestand switch to make sure conditions are correct to allow the starter to engage.

...Checked battery 12.4 volts...
Not that it applies to the problem/s you're trying to solve:

But, 12.4 volts -- at the terminals of the FJR's OEM, factory fill, battery -- is only about 50% charge.

12.8V (min.) is what you should have (many good FJR batteries read 13 volts).

Good luck.
Thanks, I thought anything above 12 volts was good. I'll charge the batery. It's the original from 2007.

Relay is behind the battery on the left side, under the upper fairing. Follow the big positive cable from the battery, next stop is the starter relay. You should have an audible click when you press the starter button with the key on.

Make sure all those terminals are tight. Remove the ground wire from the battery before you go checking them, nothing sucks like grounding a wrench while working a 12-volt terminal!

It's also possible but less likely that there is an issue with your interlock relay, the device which checks the neutral switch, clutch switch, and sidestand switch to make sure conditions are correct to allow the starter to engage.
Thanks, I will clean all switches and check tightness at the relay terminals, Don

Harlonbrando,

Read your post and had to laugh.

My 07 just started doing the same thing.

Turn the key on, everything that should light up does, gauges sweep, push the start button and nothing!

For me, cycling the key seems to be the ticket.

That new ignition switch they gave us is looking like the culprit.

I have the Brodie relay installed, I think sometime this week I'll pull out the ign switch, disassemble, clean and see if it makes a difference.

Good luck with yours!

Kevin

Harlonbrando,

Read your post and had to laugh.

My 07 just started doing the same thing.

Turn the key on, everything that should light up does, gauges sweep, push the start button and nothing!

For me, cycling the key seems to be the ticket.

That new ignition switch they gave us is looking like the culprit.

I have the Brodie relay installed, I think sometime this week I'll pull out the ign switch, disassemble, clean and see if it makes a difference.

Good luck with yours!

Thanks, at first I tried cycling the switch, still had to press button several times to start. Lately I've not cycled the switch and still have to press starter button several times. So I'm not sold on it being the switch but would like to know how your problem gets solved.

Kevin

2007 fjr, had all updates, had spyder problem, fixed that last year. Now sometimes won't start. Turn ignition on, gauges do their thing with sweeping needles, hit starter button, nothing. Sometimes have to push starter button 3-5 times before engine turns over and when it does it immediately starts. Checked battery 12.4 volts, cables clean and tight. Don't want to get far from home and have bike fail to start. This is an intermitant problem, has happened 3-4 times in the last 20-30 attempts to start. Thanks, Don
Thanks to everyone who replied to my problem. I found the switch on the clutch lever to be extremely dirty with grease and grime. I've cleaned it and had no problems since. I've started the bike approximatly 12-15 times since cleaning the switch. I also cleaned the kick stand switch. Thanks again.