Switching to Canam Spyder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LancasterFJR

Reaction score
Hello all,

I consider myself a motorcycle enthusiast. I love riding, reading and talking motorcycles. I don't see myself quitting this until I am too old and weak to handle a two wheel. But here is my dilemma: Tom, a friend of mine (OK he is 15 years younger, but we have similar riding styles) had a Ducati 848. He was in love with that bike and could not stop talking about it. He also spent top dollars on aftermarket stuff (the Termignone slip-ons alone cost close to $2500). I thought Tom is also a bike enthusiast. So, Im riding back from Cambria a couple of weeks ago ad Tom calls to tell me he sold his Ducati (and Victory vegas) and bought a Canam Spyder . I was shocked. What happened to the love of his life? When I got him I stopped by his house o see his new toy. It's no motorcycle, or even close. But, you wear a helmet and a motorcycle jacket when you ride it and look loosely associated with motorcycling. He said he got worried about getting hurt. He has three little kids and didn't want to orphan them. Tom is a rehab doctor and he sees his share of injuries.

I m a little confused. Can you just give up your passion for motorcycling that quick. His "switch" happened in a matter of days. I am not ready to hang my helmet anytime soon, but I see my self on one of these things in 10 or 15 years (health allowing). I like leaning, accelerating and all the emotions associated with riding a motorcycle that you don't get with that freaky looking thig with the three wheels and I won't give that up yet :rolleyes: . Any thoughts or comments.

Sam

Hello all,
I consider myself a motorcycle enthusiast. I love riding, reading and talking motorcycles. I don't see myself quitting this until I am too old and weak to handle a two wheel. But here is my dilemma: Tom, a friend of mine (OK he is 15 years younger, but we have similar riding styles) had a Ducati 848. He was in love with that bike and could not stop talking about it. He also spent top dollars on aftermarket stuff (the Termignone slip-ons alone cost close to $2500). I thought Tom is also a bike enthusiast. So, Im riding back from Cambria a couple of weeks ago ad Tom calls to tell me he sold his Ducati (and Victory vegas) and bought a Canam Spyder . I was shocked. What happened to the love of his life? When I got him I stopped by his house o see his new toy. It's no motorcycle, or even close. But, you wear a helmet and a motorcycle jacket when you ride it and look loosely associated with motorcycling. He said he got worried about getting hurt. He has three little kids and didn't want to orphan them. Tom is a rehab doctor and he sees his share of injuries.

I m a little confused. Can you just give up your passion for motorcycling that quick. His "switch" happened in a matter of days. I am not ready to hang my helmet anytime soon, but I see my self on one of these things in 10 or 15 years (health allowing). I like leaning, accelerating and all the emotions associated with riding a motorcycle that you don't get with that freaky looking thig with the three wheels and I won't give that up yet :rolleyes: . Any thoughts or comments.

Sam
Simple- Tom is a poser.

Do what feels right for you. Perhaps there is more to it than your friend lets on? Like a very close call that made him question his passion Vs his longevity.

I checked: in Oregon it is licensed as a motorcycle and an endorsement is necessary on your license. There are many people (Tyler comes to mind) that can't ride on two wheels currently. Others just prefer the stability of a trike or hack. They are motorcyclists. This is just another version of the bashing of the motorcycle brand selected by another person, the "They don't belong to my tribe, therefore they do not count." mentality. And yes, I believe you are confused.

You asked.

Do what feels right for you. Perhaps there is more to it than your friend lets on? Like a very close call that made him question his passion Vs his longevity.

I tend to agree with you. Something must have happened. I am not ready for such a move, and I have had a few close calls as well as accidents. Cheers. Sam

He didn't give up his passion for motorcycling. He's just found a new way to do it. I say good for him!

I met a gent at the CanAm dealer when I took mine for a test ride. He was young and obviously in good health. I asked him why he was riding a Spyder. He replied simply,"Because they're fun!" :)

He didn't give up his passion for motorcycling. He's just found a new way to do it. I say good for him!
+1

I've known a few folks like that; they get way into something and I guess get tired of it and next thing you know, into something else.

This isn't exactly like that as the CA Spyder is sorta still like a motorcycle, but still...

The trick is to keep tuned to the changes these folks make, have you money ready, and stuff that tricked out Duc in your garage for a discount! You know if he traded it he only got wholesale for it...

I used to work with these two guys - both long retired now - but hey had known each other for yrs. The one guy was like your friend (altho not into bikes), then he'd regularly change/sell/get something else, and the other one would show up Monday at work with the first one's truck, car, or whatever! I never could get into those deals, and he had a couple of sweet Nissan trucks that I tried to jump on...

I checked: in Oregon it is licensed as a motorcycle and an endorsement is necessary on your license. There are many people (Tyler comes to mind) that can't ride on two wheels currently. Others just prefer the stability of a trike or hack. They are motorcyclists. This is just another version of the bashing of the motorcycle brand selected by another person, the "They don't belong to my tribe, therefore they do not count." mentality. And yes, I believe you are confused.
You asked.
Thank you Skinny,

No bashing intended. Tom is a great friend and I respect his choice. We still ride together. No "tribes" here. I was just trying to understand why the switch since I believe the two vehicles are different. He does seem to have fun on his. In Cal no MC license is needed to drive a Canam. I hope you have a nice and relaxing weekend. Sam

I had an FJR and being 70 the FJR was feeling heavy and awkward moving it around..afraid was going to drop it.. so I got a good deal on the CanAm Spyder..it was different but fun for awhile..it was physically more demanding to ride than a motorcycle..when you rode a lot of twisties it was a workout.. had it for 3 months and 4000 miles when I hit a trailer jack in the road that damaged the frame and my insurance totaled it..truth being said I was happy that it was gone...got a Kawasaki Versys...lighter than the FJR...fun to ride.. I never felt that the Spyder was safer than my motorcycle..

We'll never know why he made the decision, but as long as he's doing what he likes..... some people have other kinds of trikes.

I happen to think the Spyder is neat, but it would be a second motorcyce, not a primary. More for LD travel or 2-up than sport. Tires last forever. As Hamie says, it's work to ride one of those, have to ride it like a snowmobile.

As for safety, I'm not convinced it is safer than two wheels, maybe even less so if pushed in the twisties to the limits. And there would be no such thing as a low sider......

I still have issues waving at trike "bikes" - just go ahead & buy a miata - but my wife tells me she thinks it's great that the old folk's riding them still have the motorcycle spirit. She says one day I may not be able to handle a two wheeler due to a stroke or something and I might beg for a trike. So I try to wave a little more now.

IF I was going to get a trike, it would be a canam spyder.

Polaris is selling tons of these things around here and especially in Quebec where every 15th 'bike' I saw on the road was a Spyder. But I think they get those to get around crazy high insurance rates with those.

In Cal no MC license is needed to drive a Canam. I hope you have a nice and relaxing weekend. Sam
Sorry, but that is not correct. The law was changed an MC endorsement is now needed for a CanAm.

Rick

I ride in a club that has several members on trikes, mostly Goldwing and 1 Spyder. They all still have a motorcycle attitude. One of them gave me a good answer that made good sense. He had dropped his Wing in a parking lot and had to get help to pick it up. He decided that he would switch to a trike so as to not have to go thru that again. He figured if he could not "right" it by himself he needed another alternative. OCfer sais it best, "Do what feels right for you." Everyone makes their own decisions. I have known many people who give up motorcycles completly when they have a young family and have a close "wake up" call. Bottom line is he is still riding and enjoying himself and the two of you will have many more good rides together.

In Cal no MC license is needed to drive a Canam. I hope you have a nice and relaxing weekend. Sam
Sorry, but that is not correct. The law was changed an MC endorsement is now needed for a CanAm.

Rick

Hello Rick,

I found this: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/motorcycles/motorcycles.htm. Note the second line of the first paragraph: Three wheeled motorcycles or motorcycle with a side car require only a Class C driver license. CVC Sec. 400.

I wonder if you would be kind enough to direct me to the source of the new law regarding three wheeled MC's.

Sam

My wife enjoys riding with me, but does not embrace motorcycles as much as I do. She did take a Rider's Edge class and began riding her own bike. Then we sold it when she got pregnant with our second daughter. She likes to ride, but leaning scares her...Donno why, it just does. She's really interested in the Spyder, and one of these days, I'm gonna bring one home for her.

I say people should be able to ride whatever they want. I'm sure there are groups that think Sport Tourer riders are a bunch of jackasses. Who cares what they think of them or what we think of them? So long as each person is happy with their choice, life should be good.

You asked.
Thank you Skinny,

No bashing intended. Tom is a great friend and I respect his choice. We still ride together. No "tribes" here. I was just trying to understand why the switch since I believe the two vehicles are different. He does seem to have fun on his. In Cal no MC license is needed to drive a Canam. I hope you have a nice and relaxing weekend. Sam
Sounds like I got it wrong. Sorry.

I met a gent at the CanAm dealer when I took mine for a test ride. He was young and obviously in good health. I asked him why he was riding a Spyder. He replied simply,"Because they're fun!" :)
Yup, 1, 2, 3, or 4, or more? wheels.....

Have fun!

Life's short.... :thumbsup:

Like the others, I'm glad your friend is still riding and would wave.

But Hamie makes the 3rd person I know to get a Spider and go back to a motorcycle.