Switching to Canam Spyder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polaris is selling tons of these things around here and especially in Quebec where every 15th 'bike' I saw on the road was a Spyder. But I think they get those to get around crazy high insurance rates with those.
Bombardier is making the Spyder, not Polaris. Didn't want someone judging the Spyder by thinking POS Polaris is making them! ;)

I agree with the point that your buddy Tom can like what he likes and ride what he wants to ride. And obviously he'd be the only person who can tell you why his taste has apparently changed so abruptly.

I know that if I were unable to be stable on two wheels, I would look into a traditional trike rather than a Can-Am. I test rode the Spyder at the 2008 International Motorcycle Show in Phoenix and totally hated the experience. (I also test rode the Victory Vision and hated that too. But I loved the Kawasaki Z1000. Just to give you an idea how my tastes run.)

We do see the Spyder on the streets here in the Memphis area. They are generally owned by black guys who want a distinctive ride...the "see and be seen" crowd. Again, people can have their own motivations for what they buy and what they ride, and there are a lot of people here who go for wild custom paint jobs, lights, etc. to make their bike very attention getting. But you just don't ever see them getting ridden to work or out on the backroads.

Polaris is selling tons of these things around here and especially in Quebec where every 15th 'bike' I saw on the road was a Spyder. But I think they get those to get around crazy high insurance rates with those.
Bombardier is making the Spyder, not Polaris. Didn't want someone judging the Spyder by thinking POS Polaris is making them! ;)
It's the same corporation - Bombardier has operating divisions including Polaris and CanAm. The sales distribution for the CanAm line was first offered to existing Polaris dealers.

Polaris is selling tons of these things ...every 15th 'bike' I saw on the road was a Spyder...
It's the same corporation - Bombardier has operating divisions including Polaris and CanAm. The sales distribution for the CanAm line was first offered to existing Polaris dealers.
Jeez..., I don't think so..? :unsure:

Could you link me to something that verifies their connection?

A lot has changed for these two companies (BRP and Polaris Ind.) over the years -- but I think they're still competitors?

Polaris is selling tons of these things ...every 15th 'bike' I saw on the road was a Spyder...
Jeez..., I don't think so..? :unsure:

Could you link me to something that verifies their connection?

A lot has changed for these two companies (BRP and Polaris Ind.) over the years -- but I think they're still competitors?
My bad. I was confusing polaris and sea doo. Sea Doo is in Bombardier's family. Polaris is separate and they own the victory motorcycle line.

I checked: in Oregon it is licensed as a motorcycle and an endorsement is necessary on your license. There are many people (Tyler comes to mind) that can't ride on two wheels currently. Others just prefer the stability of a trike or hack. They are motorcyclists. This is just another version of the bashing of the motorcycle brand selected by another person, the "They don't belong to my tribe, therefore they do not count." mentality. And yes, I believe you are confused.
You asked.
+1 No they are not the typical motor cycle but, they still meet my definition of a motor cycle. In fact I believe they could be very exciting to ride. 2 wheels or 3 you can still fall off the damn thing.

I bought a Spyder last week to add to my collection of bikes, both 2 and 3 wheel. I can tell you that the Spyder is no whimpy ride, the 990cc twin moves that baby right along. It is a lot of fun and everyone that tries it is impressed.

I had an FJR and being 70 the FJR was feeling heavy and awkward moving it around..afraid was going to drop it.. so I got a good deal on the CanAm Spyder..it was different but fun for awhile..it was physically more demanding to ride than a motorcycle..when you rode a lot of twisties it was a workout.. had it for 3 months and 4000 miles when I hit a trailer jack in the road that damaged the frame and my insurance totaled it..truth being said I was happy that it was gone...got a Kawasaki Versys...lighter than the FJR...fun to ride.. I never felt that the Spyder was safer than my motorcycle..

I was wondering if you were still lurking here. I'm surprised to hear that the spyder is harder to ride an a 2 wheeler. Good info.

Came across a skinny old cowboy riding a Spyder.. Said his legs were too frail for a motobike so reluctantly a Spyder he bought. I followed him. Ugg, I tried to follow him on a gravelly goat road.. He was leaving 30 foot long darkies and hooting it up while I was attempting to maintain traction and not tip over. I get it..

Came across a skinny old cowboy riding a Spyder.. Said his legs were too frail for a motobike so reluctantly a Spyder he bought. I followed him. Ugg, I tried to follow him on a gravelly goat road.. He was leaving 30 foot long darkies and hooting it up while I was attempting to maintain traction and not tip over. I get it..
Admit it, you left your own 30 foot long darkies of your own.

They were in your pants trying to keep up...

Hello Rick,
I found this: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/motorcycles/motorcycles.htm. Note the second line of the first paragraph: Three wheeled motorcycles or motorcycle with a side car require only a Class C driver license. CVC Sec. 400.

I wonder if you would be kind enough to direct me to the source of the new law regarding three wheeled MC's.

Sam

Sam,
I will look for you. I know that DMV doesn't keep that site up to date with the newest law changes.

Rick
I had the same thought, Ricky. Like all state agencies, the DMV has a "lag time" on everything, including updating their website. Not so the legislature; they're on top of all changes in their website, www.leginfo.ca.gov. The DMV link references Cal Vehicle Code section 400, which now reads in part ". . . (a) A "motorcycle" is a motor vehicle having a seat or saddle

for the use of the rider, designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground. (my emphasis).

For anybody who was thinking of switching to a Spyder. Of course, you already have a class M1 license, don't you? ;)

This is a fairly confusing topic. Even though 3 wheeled "motorcycles" meet the definition of a motorcycle, in California a motorcycle endorsement is not required. The section that needs to be looked at is 12804.9(4) of the Ca. Vehicle Code. (examination and driving test classification). It is essence relates that only 2 wheeled motorcycles need a M1 endorsement.

So, for three wheeled "motorcycles" no M1 is required, but you do need to wear a helmet, since it is still considered a motorcycle. A confusing topic.

[SIZE=10pt]Who cares how many wheels are under you!? I'll bet the first time you drove a car you were loving life...and what kind of pos car was it? I will agree there is not much that compares with a m/c but I've ridden quads and trikes and sidecars and I even own a unicycle.....all are different and all are fun! Maybe I dont have the right attitude about this but m/c's are dangerous and not for everyone. If you are more comfortable on a trike then hop on and let it move you. If you are hangin out there on the ragged edge on your Vespa then go for it! You might look a dork but if you're having fun I'm saying thats a good thing.[/SIZE]

In talking to a couple of owners and the BRP reps (at different times), they said if you test ride it for half an hour you won't get the right impression. You have to adapt and learn to weight shift (similar to riding a snowmobile), and yes the steering can seem a bit heavy...... I wouldn't mind a Spyder as a second bike for LD touring or similar, but nothing like two wheels in the twisties.

Hello all,
I consider myself a motorcycle enthusiast. I love riding, reading and talking motorcycles. I don't see myself quitting this until I am too old and weak to handle a two wheel. But here is my dilemma: Tom, a friend of mine (OK he is 15 years younger, but we have similar riding styles) had a Ducati 848. He was in love with that bike and could not stop talking about it. He also spent top dollars on aftermarket stuff (the Termignone slip-ons alone cost close to $2500). I thought Tom is also a bike enthusiast. So, Im riding back from Cambria a couple of weeks ago ad Tom calls to tell me he sold his Ducati (and Victory vegas) and bought a Canam Spyder . I was shocked. What happened to the love of his life? When I got him I stopped by his house o see his new toy. It's no motorcycle, or even close. But, you wear a helmet and a motorcycle jacket when you ride it and look loosely associated with motorcycling. He said he got worried about getting hurt. He has three little kids and didn't want to orphan them. Tom is a rehab doctor and he sees his share of injuries.

I m a little confused. Can you just give up your passion for motorcycling that quick. His "switch" happened in a matter of days. I am not ready to hang my helmet anytime soon, but I see my self on one of these things in 10 or 15 years (health allowing). I like leaning, accelerating and all the emotions associated with riding a motorcycle that you don't get with that freaky looking thig with the three wheels and I won't give that up yet :rolleyes: . Any thoughts or comments.

Sam

I would love to get one for the wife so she can carry all her stuff and it something she would feel much more confident on.

As for me when i get to that point where I lost my continence, uh, i mean confidence i might go that route as well.

Ride what you like. I'll ride what I like. If you don't like it, tough. A lot of Harley riders won't give "the wave" because they think Harley is the only motorcycle. I for one am not going to lower myself and start having that kind of attitude toward other riders. If you want to ride your Harley, Moto Guzzi, Honda, Triumph, Victory, etc. ad naseum next to me, bring it. Get that Vespa up here! I'm no better than others. Maybe luckier than some, but that's another story.

I say tell your friend to rock that Can Am. Heck, if I were you I'd be begging for a shot to ride it myself. Maybe there's something to it!

Does anyone think that a Spyder is actually safer than a motorcycle?

I don't get it. You have all of the inherent dangers of a motorcycle (out in the open, no restraints, airbags etc.), but none of the advantages of the superior handling of a bike to avoid idiot drivers. It seems to be basically a three wheeled car with no body.

Just wait until you hit your first heavy corner and try to get the thing to lean.