Tag-Along Aux Fuel Tank (joe2lmaker)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh and if there's a bunch of us who all want to get cell covers from Linda T, we might be able to get 'em done a little quicker if we order together so she's making several of the same pattern in a row - probably saves her a whole lot of time.

Not sure if this is an option, but on my Sampson, I think the drain is the same as the valve...
Sorry also for the late in the game input...
As long as all the participants are happy, it's a win-win.

Here is another option:

orly_549440.jpg

We can screw the male end into a bung on the bottom of the tank, put a 90° fitting on the female end and reduce the hose needed. :thumbsup:

"LindaT"... didja hear that Don? Maybe you could ride over there ...

before you have the tank filled with actual g a s o l i n e :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do put me down for a tank. No rush, just take your time and work out all the bugs with the other tanks first!

Hello Kitty, would you please advise what cell covers you are looking to have made? I would perhaps be interested in getting one also if available. Pictures would be great, but is it just to cover the tank, or does it have any additional features? Thanks!

Edit:

Oops! Wrong thread. I posted over to the buy after posting here first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do put me down for a tank. No rush, just take your time and work out all the bugs with the other tanks first!
Hello Kitty, would you please advise what cell covers you are looking to have made? I would perhaps be interested in getting one also if available. Pictures would be great, but is it just to cover the tank, or does it have any additional features? Thanks!

Edit:

Oops! Wrong thread. I posted over to the buy after posting here first.
Linga Tanner makes custom stuff for riders. I have a tank bags and fuel cell cover on my GS, would def want a cover for this cell. You can get any comination of pockets and stuff that she makes. Lemme see if I have a pic of the one on my GS. Probably not directly of it, but it's probably in another picture...

Yeah, here you can really see all my Linda T 'stuff'. My cell cover on this bike has pockets on the left, right and front sides. I'd probably put one on the top as well next time. Though that might not work as well with this cell... Have to lay eyes on it first. Maybe okay, just a little smaller, which is okay too. I keep first aid kit, tools, extra sunglasses and dorags and snacks in it. It's really quite handy.

Yes, that's me, right after I had my buddy Mike buzz my head with a #3 blade the night before leaving for Spartanburg last summer. And that's my best friend in the whole world, Lou, on my lap. Linda's web site is https://www.customtankbags.com/ She's a one woman show so sometimes the wait is long, especially around IBR time.

P8190023.jpg

I think this is best -

DSC05158-1_chopped%20up%202.JPG

If for no other reason a person could put a 90 degree elbow in place and have two straight runs. Yes, I know, a 90 degree elbow has most flow restriction, but I don't really think it will matter. I would be willing to put a 90 in place and test, in the spirit of 'taking one for the team' :rolleyes: And I'm pretty sure the zoot suit plastic tubing could make that bend no problem, meaning a 90 wouldn't be required.

On the other hand, this model -

DSC05158-1_chopped%20up%203.JPG

is probably the best. Not everyone has long nimble fingers like you, and Brodie. My hands are old and arthritic. I hate it, but that's the way it is. I'll have to run a tether from the seat latch to bike side to disengage the rider seat. IMHO, most won't be able to reach the latch as is, but that's just a guess and not scientific at all. And when the rider is sleep deprived, and common tasks become troublesome, the easier the better is the mantra. Not that I've been there, done that, but I know what stoopid feels like, just sayin'. :huh: Give me a freaking cable to pull when the headlights die at 0245 in Nevada rather than trying to reach deep into the latch area, while holding a flashlight in my teeth, then get my frozen cold arthritic finger to manipulate (womaninpulate?) the lever.. well you get the idea.

Oh and if there's a bunch of us who all want to get cell covers from Linda T, we might be able to get 'em done a little quicker if we order together so she's making several of the same pattern in a row - probably saves her a whole lot of time.
That's the plan Kitty. So far, Don & I are in for a cover. (Although, I'm opting out of the "Hello Kitty" pattern. ;) )

My fittings arrived yesterday. Ordered both from Samspon and McMaster-Carr. The Sampson, being metal are sturdier and look cool, but they are kinda long and bulky. I'm going to try the much cheaper McM-C first. The piece at upper right is one way valve to prevent back flow from main to aux tank. It has a pretty stiff pop-off point, to allow flow, and I think it might be too restrictive for a gravity feed tank. I'll try it anyway.

DSC05223.jpg

DSC05224-1.jpg

Don found something last week, but I convinced him he was seeing things; Krazy Kalifornions.

My fittings arrived in the mail yesterday and I think I see what Don thought he saw. :blink:

DSC05305.JPG

The fitting is contacting the bike's subframe.

I cut the welds, freeing the bracket:

DSC05308_cropped.JPG

I ran the tank over to the fab shop on my lunch break:

DSC05324_cropped.JPG

Much better:

DSC05312_cropped.JPG

Open:

DSC05314.JPG

Closed:

DSC05315.JPG

And I made sure the new location of the drain will work:

DSC05324.JPG

(hint: it's where the masking tape is)

Looks good Joe! I think that should be easy enough to reach back and turn real quick. I'm looking forward to getting in on the bike and trying it out. With gasoline... ;) You know, cause I'm not a pussy n shit.

Looks good Joe! I think that should be easy enough to reach back and turn real quick. I'm looking forward to getting in on the bike and trying it out. With gasoline... ;) You know, cause I'm not a pussy n shit.
OUCH! :rofl:

"Excuse me", he said, as he picked his ass up off the floor, "did somebody just slam me?" :yahoo:

"Excuse me", he said, as he picked his ass up off the floor, "did somebody just slam me?" :yahoo:
Oh, was that you? I didn't realize. Tee hee. Just bustin' chops. You know that! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, was that you? I didn't realize. Tee hee. Just bustin' chops. You know that! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually, it makes it all the better! :rolleyes:

Ok, so old Joe2Maker got me all in a tizzy about having to cut the bracket, find a welder, blah blah blah. Then I realized, WTFO, I've already had this tank on bike, valve installed, with fittings too!

How else would I drain the water out of the tank for a rate of flow test? :unsure: Well, then huh? I'm waiting! :unsure:

Unlike my Minnesotian friends, we in Kali like to only use fitting sizes appropriate to the task at hand.... (oooh, ouch)

In other words, I luckily used smaller fittings and did not, do not, have an interference problem. Check it out.

DSC05249.jpg

Unlike my Minnesotian friends, we in Kali like to only use fitting sizes appropriate to the task at hand.... (oooh, ouch)
In other words, I luckily used smaller fittings and did not, do not, have an interference problem. Check it out.

[ img]https://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i320/dcarver220b/FJR/Aux%20Tank/DSC05249.jpg[/img]
Cool!

The 1/4" fittings just take up more space, the internals of the ball valves are the same.

You have the McMaster-Carr 4118T62, the right ones.