Tag-Along Aux Fuel Tank (joe2lmaker)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
by CBA terms, it's damn near certified!

gold_trophy_0_0.JPG

On the tank bags, I'd rather wait until the tank is on the bike. You will want to see where things are to make decisions about how you want the bag to 'interact' with the tank and bike... I know Linda, I'll shoot her an email and give her a heads up.
Make sense to me Kitty and thanks for coordinating with Linda.

BTW - Wifey saw the Hello Kitty patch...

hello_kitty_skull_crossbones_patch.jpg

...She now wants one for her jacket. That means I'm putting in an order shortly. If anyone on this group buy wants one, let me know by Friday, April 9 and I'll add it to my order. With the money 01VFR saved me, this will be my treat. (Kitty, I've already put you down for one.)

On the tank bags, I'd rather wait until the tank is on the bike. You will want to see where things are to make decisions about how you want the bag to 'interact' with the tank and bike... I know Linda, I'll shoot her an email and give her a heads up.

...She now wants one for her jacket. That means I'm putting in an order shortly. If anyone on this group buy wants one, let me know by Friday, April 9 and I'll add it to my order. With the money 01VFR saved me, this will be my treat. (Kitty, I've already put you down for one.)
Excellent! I'll do the patches if you want, even for the bride. She's awesome fun in my book! Or you can buy them and I spot the few bucks Linda charges to sew them on :)

I heard back from Linda and again, I think better to wait until the tanks are on the bikes (and possibly working well) There's a few thing about how the tank sits on the bike that are important to consider like clearance from you, clearance from the top case and how the tank will 'secure' my current cover has straps that go front to back under the tank and buckle underneath. This looks like it sits a lot lower and that might not work, or at least not easily. So another method needs to be determined or just do away with the straps if it's not possible. My existing cover is pretty snug and I doubt it would go anywhere, but I would like to have it secured.

I totally understand wanting to get the orders in because of the lead time, Linda says 6-8 weeks right now, but I think better to wait a little longer and have it right than get it quicker and have fuss with it.

Let me know if that sounds cool to everyone.

Put me down for one...Thanks! I will probably be needing a tank bag now that I am down to one tank.

BTW - Wifey saw the Hello Kitty patch... She now wants one for her jacket. That means I'm putting in an order shortly. If anyone on this group buy wants one, let me know by Friday, April 9 and I'll add it to my order. With the money 01VFR saved me, this will be my treat. (Kitty, I've already put you down for one.)
Excellent! I'll do the patches if you want, even for the bride. She's awesome fun in my book! Or you can buy them and I spot the few bucks Linda charges to sew them on :)
I'll still buy and send 'em on to Linda but if you'll take care of the sewing charge, that would be "wicked awesome!"

I totally understand wanting to get the orders in because of the lead time, Linda says 6-8 weeks right now, but I think better to wait a little longer and have it right than get it quicker and have fuss with it.
Let me know if that sounds cool to everyone.
Sounds cool to me.

A quick flow/drain update. I'm running both tanks bone dry to determine how much will xnfr from aux to main. Currently 15 miles into reserve, looked inside Aux, and the level is waay down. My hunch is most all if not all will xnfr.

Re-read, by waay down I mean it's much less than 1" in the aux remaining.

A quick flow/drain update. I'm running both tanks bone dry to determine how much will xnfr from aux to main. Currently 15 miles into reserve, looked inside Aux, and the level is waay down. My hunch is most all if not all will xnfr.
Re-read, by waay down I mean it's much less than 1" in the aux remaining.
Great write up and congrads ! The struggle is always worth the effort. BTW Carver did you perform any modifications to your fuel cap venting system ?

i will be violating my fuel tank with the bulkhead fitting next week then installing my 4.7 gallon cell

Great write up and congrads ! The struggle is always worth the effort. BTW Carver did you perform any modifications to your fuel cap venting system ? i will be violating my fuel tank with the bulkhead fitting next week then installing my 4.7 gallon cell
Tanks alot! I've not modified my main tank at all excepting the little orange grommett thing long ago disappeared - don't recall how now. Looking at FredW's excellent post, I may remove the ball bearing check valve thing just to be sure.

Okie-Dokie then, aux tank drain put to the test today!

Rode till dry, aux tank feeding main tank. Made it 56.5 miles before the main was empty. Looked in the aux tank, just a little tiny splash of gas left, maybe *maybe* a cup full. With bike on side stand, pressurized the aux tank by applying a SkooterG BlowJob ( :lol: ) and after only seconds heard air bubbles in the main tank.I was running 65-75 on the freeway then 45-85 on back roads for this test.

[SIZE=12pt]In other words, the aux tank drained fabulously! [/SIZE] :yahoo:

Actually, I was really surprised the aux tank drained as well as it did. Dare I say even better than the proven 'standard' tank design? :unsure:

I'll summarize better tomorrow, list part numbers and what not, but given that I'm running:

1. 1/4" line (not 5/16)
  2. a one way check valve
I'm really happy with the results!
Excellent Mr. Joe2Lmaker, Excellent!

Tomorrow I'll fill the completely dry aux tank and mark each gallon's level point. I think it would be handy to have a crude 'gauge', based upon a dip stick, of gallons remaining based on tank level.

PS - a lesson learned too... If'n yer going to do a test like this, and you're carrying a 1 measly gallon of replacement fuel, don't be taking 'the long way' home that's more than about, oh, say, 35 miles where there is no gas available? :unsure: I did some quick mental calcs (my Zumo is in for repair) and suddenly realized... oh shit, I'm past range! When I hit the driveway, it was surging and sputtering... :blink:

Great work Don!

I hope that I don't need to pack my promotion kit (knee pads) with this sucker. One BJ here or there is okay, but if there's to be a lot of them.... :D

Great job Don! :clapping: At least you didn't have to call your SO at zero-dark-thirty to bring you some gas.

Joe - sounds like you've made a winner. (Not that I had any doubts.)

Kitty - You may want to bring two "promotion kits" if you're in my neck of the woods. Gas stations are far enough apart that you'll wear out that first set. DAMHIK :blushing:

OK -- we're clearly going to need a Gen.I version. You guys (and gal) are killing me! "Promotion kit"?? :lol:

I can envision Joe starting a retail aux. tank business on the boards -- with promotional ads featuring all the happy customers kneeling on their "promotion kits", "servicing" their motorized steeds. :rolleyes:

WTF?

:dribble:

A half gallon short? Now I have to calculate volume using specific gravity?

I'll call the fab shop and tell 'em to hold everything.

Let you know what I find...

(I'm not sure we can trust a guy who paints his middle finger before flipping us off) ;)

Yeah, I was surprised too. Tank was bone dry when starting, full to the brim when done. Maybe Chevron at Foothill is having a rebate program? :laughingsmiley: Did you compensate volume loss attributed to the two bolt shaft tunnel thingies?

WTF? :dribble:

A half gallon short? Now I have to calculate volume using specific gravity?

I'll call the fab shop and tell 'em to hold everything.

Let you know what I find...

(I'm not sure we can trust a guy who paints his middle finger before flipping us off) ;)