Tail Bag option for solo riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FJRChik,

With the side pockets on the CL150 rub the guard rail if you mount the bag in the same manner as Bunker did? having the extra side pockets would be nice, but not if they are going to be rubbing on the paint.

I took a variety of pics of the CL-150. First few are the way I'm using it - just on top of the seat and the guard rail.

Next few shots are with the seat off and the bag set down in there. This is loose and not bolted down. I can see why the need for some sort of support on the floor of the bag that fits down into the bike. I took a shot of the gaps showing so you can see how much lower it needs to go. The side pockets barely sit on the guard rail (I think they won't rub on the paint enough to cause damage) and when the bottom is unzipped, then not at all. In fact, unzipping the bottom helped alot and then you don't have to remove anything from the outside of the bag. The sides are unsupported when unzipped and without something in there to fill up the bag, it does become a little bit floppy. But I think expanded is the way to go for mounting it and not having to remove the handle or tie down clips.

So here are the pics without the bottom expanded:

Prolly want to remove these tie down clips.

The handle fit right under the guard rail, no problem.

And here's a shot with it unzipped and expanded:

Hope that helps! Helluva nice bag for $58!

Last edited by a moderator:
FJRCHIK,

Just a heads up....I have the same bag, slightly older model, that I use mounted on top of the back seat and attached the exact same way you are showing in your pics. On a recent trip up into Vermont, the quick releases on both of the back straps opened up and I lost them. Luckily I had another strap for added safety run through the handle on the tail trunk and wrapped around the grab rail on the rack. Just make sure the quick releases aren't contacting either the rack or the grab rail.

FJRCHIK,Just a heads up....I have the same bag, slightly older model, that I use mounted on top of the back seat and attached the exact same way you are showing in your pics. On a recent trip up into Vermont, the quick releases on both of the back straps opened up and I lost them. Luckily I had another strap for added safety run through the handle on the tail trunk and wrapped around the grab rail on the rack. Just make sure the quick releases aren't contacting either the rack or the grab rail.

Not to mention those straps eating up the paint... Yoikes!

The only part touching paint on my setup is the bottom of the bag, where it sits on the guard rail. I'm thinking of maybe some tankslapper-type material to cover that with.

Thanks for the tip Axeman, I'll put my extra bungies in there just in case!

FJRCHIK ....

Thanx for the photogs of the 150 bag. I have one I'm "doctoring up" in my garage ala Bunker. But, I like the way your set up seems to work.

Regarding the 'paint eating' problems brought up in a previous post ... a couple wraps of some soft material covered with clear packing tape will solve that. Or some other deal .... maybe just some tape over a nicely waxed paint surface? :blink:

I wonder about the quick disconnects coming loose (again from a previous post). How can this be diverted, eh? I wonder .... I'd have to hook up my stuff and see how it connects.

BTW .... I'm not into making my ride look like crap from stuff rubbing off the paint. But, I gotta tell ya ... every bike I've had .... begets scratches and chafe marks eventually. I don't wanna trash it prematurely, but it eventually happens.

Thanx for the photogs, gal ..... appreciate your efforts and help.

BAGGER

The only part touching paint on my setup is the bottom of the bag, where it sits on the guard rail. I'm thinking of maybe some tankslapper-type material to cover that with.
Huh? Looks like all 4 straps are making contact and the back hits all of the inside of the grab rail... You doin' a Jeannie on us or sumpin'? :dntknw:

Thanks for the info Bunker. Such a worthwhile farkle should automatically elevate you from your FNG status to something more befitting such a forward thinker.
Thanks Axeman. Although I obviously don't post much, I've read nearly all the posts in the FJR general & technical sections over the last 18 months or so, even before I signed on. I'm a bit surprised this mod got so much attention, but I'm glad I could contribute something useful. The FJR is pretty good right out of the crate compared to most bikes, but I'm not a complete rookie when it comes to mods... here's my Warrior

Groo, I'd say if you remove the rear seat and lay a straightedge across the edges of the bodywork from side to side, anything that will fit under that should fit under the tailbag.

Sorry this particular bag didn't work out for PRE '06 bikes. I know there's enough differences with the seat and bodywork that I didn't even want to hazard a guess in that regard. But perhaps a smaller bag (especially a strap-mount tankbag) might work in place of the seat for the earlier FJR's. BTW, when the tailbag is massaged into place and bolted down using the vinyl "floor", the bottom of the bag will follow the contours of the bodywork fairly well so the gap between the bag and bodywork is much less than those shown in fjrchik's pictures.

If you want to regularly use a tailbag on top of the rear seat, consider this idea that I have used on other bikes: Position the bag on the seat where you want it, then remove the seat from the bike and, with the bag in the same position on the seat, run all 4 nylon straps (or bungees) from the bag around and under the seat. (The front straps might possibly work well if positioned in front... that is, between the two seats rather than to the sides.) Mark the location and length of the straps when taught. Remove the seatcover and foam, and rivet or bolt the nylon straps to the underside of the seat so they are in the same positions you marked. (On the sides, you will have to fasten the straps to the seat right near the edges so the straps don't interfere with the bodywork when the seat is put back on the bike.) Replace the foam and cover. Now the bag can be quickly and neatly hooked on to the seat without running the straps over any bodywork. If you need to access under the seat, the bag easily comes right off with the seat. And when not using the bag, simply lift the seat and tuck the nylon straps under the seat and out of view. (Alternatively, you can similarly attach nylon straps with loops on the ends that can be used as bungee hook anchor points if you have the type of tailbag with it's own adjustable/retractable bungees.)

Now the bag can be quickly and neatly hooked on to the seat without running the straps over any bodywork. If you need to access under the seat, the bag easily comes right off with the seat. And when not using the bag, simply lift the seat and tuck the nylon straps under the seat and out of view. (Alternatively, you can similarly attach nylon straps with loops on the ends that can be used as bungee hook anchor points if you have the type of tailbag with it’s own adjustable/retractable bungees.)
Now why didn't I ever think of that! The local hardware store sells the web strapping in any length you want and the quick releases in a bunch of different sizes. I've also seen them in some camping and sporting goods suppliers. Looks like a good project for tomorrow.

Groo, I'd say if you remove the rear seat and lay a straightedge across the edges of the bodywork from side to side, anything that will fit under that should fit under the tailbag.
Thanks. Per Nut's comments, I'm probably out of the game, since I have an '05. And the search continues...

Pretty cool tailbag, Bunker. B)
I use a so-called FastBag and I'm pretty happy with it. The sandwich-fiber top tends to become scuffed after a while, though, unless you can do splits everytime you throw a leg over :rolleyes:

Stef

Fastbag4.JPG
Nice paint job on the bag Stef ... looks like you had help ... :lol:

BTW, Dave just finished painting that V-tailed Bonanza at my field - it's beautiful

JW

Dude, that kicks ass... Would be sweet to get a rear Seatpan to affix it too, or at least the parts needed to keep the underneath water tight and locked with the key.
How come you didin't link to a pic?

Tailbag6.JPG
anybody mounted on seat pan yet? if so did you like the results? the orginal application sure looks good-wondering if the seat pan mount looks as slick-trying to decide if I want to strip down a seat to mount the tail bag

Bought it, installed it following your directions and LOVE IT! She's a little too broad in the beam to fit easily through my fence with the hard bags on, and this makes it much more convenient for daily use. Thanks for a wonderful idea!

Something similar that might be of interest.

www.luggagelocker.com

It fits on the passengerseat, leaves room under, attaches without straps

looks similar to the above Cortech units.

Glenn

PS Its model specific so it fits the FJR perfectly.

Thanks Bunker for the idea and taking time to share sure worked good I added a rubber lip seal all the way around on plastic top edge and added a second piece of vinyl to expand rear of bag tight against rear seal but overall used your basic idea and like others have said looks factory