Tail bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teague_22

Reaction score
I need some opinions on tail bags both soft (Firstgear, Dowco, etc...) and the hard ones (GIVI) and if it is worth it to spend a ton of money on the hard tail bag? I currently ride an 08 and don't do a ton of long distance stuff, but has anyone used the soft bags and found them to be ok, or do they flop around and scratch the bike? Just trying to get a feel for what works and what doesn't thanks all!

Great question. I was going to post a similar one, glad you did. I am more interested in a soft tail bag. I only need in once in a while. I have a Gen1 (04). I have been shopping around online so far, but still have alot of questions. I am sure the veterans here can add some insight for us.

I have a Cortech sport tail bag leftover from my FZ6 days and it looks like it would be perfect on the PCA rack I have on the back, but I've never tried it (maybe I'll try it out tonight when back from work). I seem to recall seeing someone here with a pic of their FJR with a Cortech sport bag on the back. I also have a larger duffel sized Cortech bag that I have used on the PCA rack when 2up...it worked out pretty well although I think it would be more suited for the pillion seat when not 2up (the bungies created a challenge when securing it to the PCA rack as the bag is bigger than the rack). I'd love to have a hard case on the back, but I don't really have a need for it at the moment, so a soft bag works just fine.

IMG_1966.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth. I just made a trip to Bike Week in Daytona from Maryland. Needed extra space, hadn't gotten a givi yet. I used an old tank back and "mounted" it on top of the back seat. The quick disconnects just tock under when not used and the bag held all of the stuff that I needed on the road (rains, extra gloves, etc).

Martin

also fwiw, and to answer the question as to a soft bag flopping around or not, I used a standard gym bag on a 600 mile 9 hour trip from Portland, OR to Folsom, CA and had no issues whatsoever, so that tells me a soft bag would not be an issue. For me, the reason to do a hard bag would be to keep things dry in the rain, if your trip is dry, then a soft bag is fine.

I have/had a Premier Cycle Accessories rack (the smallest one) and backrest on the bike, and just used a single bungie cord to strap the standard cheapo gym bag down onto the rack going around the backrest's post and then hooking in the back to the rack. Easy-peasy and worked great. Of course the rack and backrest aren't cheap, but I wanted the backrest for pillions anyway, and the rack is VERY handy, I haul all kinds of stuff on it that wouldn't otherwise fit in any tail bag. I've even strapped a 24" monitor back there :)

It all depends on what your needs are. Will you ever have a passenger? If so, you will need to get a rack to attach the bag to. I purchased an RKA bag My linkhttps://www.rka-luggage.com/A03%20Seatbags/XCA_R/xca36rack.html

The bag is made very well. I have a passenger at times so I bought one of Garuald's Backrest and rack, which is also very high quality.

079.jpg

Where I'm at now: I wish I would have bought a Givi top case! I have almost spent the same amount of money, plus whenever I make a stop I am always concerned about someone stealing the bag. With a topcase you can lock it and would be less likely to have an issue with theft. They also look more stock than a soft bag. If you won't have a passenger you can buy just the bag and attach it to your rear seat which will save you a lot of money.

I personally have a color matched Givi top case with the incorporated brake light. This farkle was on the bike when I purchased it and don't know if I would of bought one new because of the price. However, because I do have one that came with the bike, I love it. I don't ride without it. It is secure and waterproof. I personally think that the FJR looks better with a trunk, either Givi or Yamaha. Again, just my personal opinion.

When I travel with my tank bag, I always take it inside a restaurant with me because I am paranoid about somebody stealing it. If I had a tail bag instead of a trunk, I would probably feel the same way about it.

So with all that said, knowing what I know now from personal experience, I would purchase a Givi trunk.

Over the years (30) I have always used a soft, seat bag which I either mount on the pillion, or the luggage rack. My current bag is an expandable bag that simply unzips to create extra storage space. These bags are primarily used for day rides, and I have always left them on the bike when stopping for food. No problems so far. For longer trips, I will use the saddle bags, or a Givi top case - depending on how long the trip is and who is going. I can pack for camping, longer trips, potential wet weather, - almost any eventuality. YMMV.

In the interest of full disclosure, I think tail bags are a good thing but I really don't like the looks of any of the hard ones. I just think they look awkward on an FJR. I do like having the extra cargo room, mostly for spur-of-the-moment store runs, so I use an expandable soft case from my old KLR mounted on a Garauld rack. Of course, it doesn't lock, and isn't waterproof. A garbage bag inside the tail bag takes care of water. As to the worry about theft, well, keep the high-value stuff in a side case or carry your tank back inside, I guess. I haven't had a problem.

For camping, I add a rubberized duffel I got at REI on the passenger seat. Frankly, every time I get ready to leave on a long trip and look at the HUGE pile of crap I have to load on the bike, I really can't believe it's all going to fit. But it does. And don't use bungees. Get yourself some Rok Straps (notice I keep a pair crossed over the passenger seat all the time. They come in handy a LOT.)

I have the backrest that came with the Garauld rack, but almost never put it on. For one thing, the bag itself acts as a backrest if I have a passenger. Also, the KLR bag I use needs more room to sit flush on the rack, so the backrest would be in the way. Easy to remount if I want to though.

IMG_1226.jpg

I have had an Elite Seat Sak by LuggageLocker on my FJR for about 7 years now. I can't imagine living without it. It allows me to run without my sidebags and still have some lockable safe storage. (Relatively)

elite4.jpg

Good:

- Holds a good amount of stuff. Will fit a full face helmet.

- It attaches underneath the passenger seat so is effectively 'locked' onto the bike.

- Zippers have little eyelets so you can lock them (like a suitcase). I keep my slime compressor, Rok straps, and tire repair kit in the two side pouches 'locked' with a small lock. Don't have to worry about the stuff walking off.

Bad:

- It doesn't maintain it's form when empty so looks kind of dumpy when there is nothing in it.

Clicky HERE for Elite Seat Sak from LuggageLocker.

They also have a cool new 'Light Locker' which is a tailbag with 30 LEDs that you can wire as always on, or a brake light function: Clicky.

closeup1.jpg

If I didn't use a LuggageLocker product, the Cortech bag posted about above is pretty nifty. It fits really well on a Garauld rack, or you can do as some folks have done and mount it where the passenger seat goes.

Edit: I found the info. It's not a Cortech bag but a Nelson-Rigg.

Tailbag6.JPG

Clicky HERE for the info.

And in THIS THREAD you can see the popular Moto-Fizz tailbag and twowheelnut's Chase Harper bag that fits on the Garauld rack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the great ideas fellas! This is making my choices very difficult but a more more informative decision, and thanks for adding the pictures on the bikes it really helps trying to figure out which I can live with as far as looks go.

TJ

After considering the Cortech tail bags I already have, I'd probably go with the Medium Motofizz or a large Ortlieb Dry Duffel.

Thanks SkooterG, I just ordered the Elite Seat Sak with lights as I think that's the best one I have seen and I look forward to coming back on here and writing a report so that maybe it will help other riders. Thanks again everyone for all the help its very much appreciated!

I use a Lee Parks seat bag every day. It holds plenty of gear, has a fleece lined laptop pocket and integral mounting hooks. It came with a rain coat but rarely does it rain hard enough to need it. I just works.

DC