Talk about Hi-Viz Helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought a Neon yellow Fieldsheer Quattro Hi-Viz, jacket from zzzip over in the classifieds. I've always been a (regular) yellow gear wearer for the added visibility, but this is my first real neon gear. I really like the whole idea of it for safety sake, and I'm not a very snappy dresser anyway, so fashion ain't a big problem for me. ;)

In discussing HiViz gear in other threads it became apparent that only one helmet is currently available in HiViz Neon Yellow/Green. That is the Scorpion EXO-700.

41kFdm6WwoL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

According to the on-line reviews I have read, this is supposed to be a very nice helmet. I know there are a bunch of other folx out there sporting the (old-faht) HiViz look, but never seen anyone with one of these matching bright Scorpion helmets. From a visibility standpoint a bright colored helmet is probably better than other gear.

I do plan on trying to find a brick and mortar helmet shop and try on an EXO-700 (regardless of color) as I am between a M and L in most helmet makes and want to be sure about size and head shape, though these are reported to be a fairly neutral shape, and I have never yet had a problem in that area with any other helmets

Searching for a "best deal" on-line for one, I find that everyone is selling them for the same price: $209.95 shipped seems to be the going rate. Now that's not bad at all, but I was wondering, because of the uniqueness of these helmets, if there was enough people that would be interested in buying one maybe we could find a Scorpion dealer willing to do a group buy on them. I do not have any helmet sales contact whatsoever, but would be willing to do some research if there is enough interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an EXO-700 and I have been happy with it. It is DOT and Snell M2005 certified, but the Motorcyclist mag test knocked it for having to stiff a shell, so you may find people here who may shy away as a result.

-BD

Yes, it seems to be rated DOT and Snell, so would be comparable to other Snell helmets.

Of course not getting hit in the first place may be worth as much (or more) than a soft bucket if you do go down... Still I would also prefer if it was of the new Snell rating.

I love my scorpions and have crash tested both the 400 and 700.

If you proceed with the GB, contact Sportbike track gear as they generally have the best price on most everything. I have bought 3 helmets from them off the closeout rack.

I don't need another helmet at the moment, so i will not be joining the GB if you proceed

Like Fencer said: I personally crash tested 2 EXO 700 helmets at 100+ mph at Tally (I fall down a lot). One of the crashes had 2 somersaults thrown in for good measure w/ accompanying head strikes. Not so much as a headache. Great helmets that are comfortable and truly fog free. I've ridden in the high 30's in 'em and had no fogging issues.

Mrs. BG and I both have this helmet. We got lots of comments about 'em at EOM - they're definitely hi-viz, but beware - they will eventually fade. I bought mine knowing this ahead of time - hasn't faded yet, but it will, and I'm OK with that.

If you get a groovy GB price I will prolly buy another one for the Harley.

I would have to assume that the fading is related to exposure to UV, right?

They'll probably be OK as long as they are kept inside out of the sun when not in use?

So far looks like we are up to an interest level of 2!

Me and the Geek!! (I knew I would be in this kind of company... ;) )

After 2+ hours of trying on helmets at a helmet specialty shop in Phoenix, I settled on the EXO 700. Went in looking for Shoei or Arai, but the fit for me was best with Scorpion. I've been happy with it. Their Anti-Fog windscreen works really well. As for sizing, the Scorpions run small. I went with a L, which fits me quite tight, and was equivalent to M in other brands.

I would have to assume that the fading is related to exposure to UV, right? They'll probably be OK as long as they are kept inside out of the sun when not in use?

So far looks like we are up to an interest level of 2!

Me and the Geek!! (I knew I would be in this kind of company... ;) )
geez... I just bought a new Shoei two weeks ago :angry2:

This would be right up my alley. I still may buy one of these if you get enough people, just don't put me down as a yes

I've been running this helmet for three years now. Probably due for a replacement.

In my experience, the "fog free" only lasts for some months, before it looses its foggy-freeness in cold weather.

And as Spud said, the line does run small in sizing. Got the large size and ended purchasing the XL liners a few months later.

I've been running with helmet for three years now. Probably due for a replacement.
In my experience, the "fog free" only lasts for some months, before it looses its foggy-freeness in cold weather.

And as Spud said, the line does run small in sizing. Got the large size and ended purchasing the XL liners a few months later.
My helmet was in for warranty work and Scorpion told me not to use any cleaners on the inside of the scorpion visors, just a very soft cloth. They recommend plexus for the outside. Cleaners used on the inside of the shield will eventually take off the fog free coating.

Tx Nightshine,

I wonder if there is any behavior one can adopt to extend the fog-free-ness? Like not cleaning the visor with any particular stuff.

Ooops, looks like J 80's answered that already. So, no cleaners at all? How does one remove the bug guts that invariably show up on the inside of a visor cracked open for ventilation? In any case, I'm not after the fog free-ness so much as the visibility.

Fog free-ness would be a nice bonus though. Never experienced anything close in any of my prior helmets.

Very good to know about the sizing oddity. I would guess I'll likely end up in a large then. Still need to find a Scorpion dealer locally to try one on. Anyone in New England know of a dealer with a lot of Scorpions?

Tx Nightshine,
I wonder if there is any behavior one can adopt to extend the fog-free-ness? Like not cleaning the visor with any particular stuff.

Ooops, looks like J 80's answered that already. So, no cleaners at all? How does one remove the bug guts that invariably show up on the inside of a visor cracked open for ventilation? In any case, I'm not after the fog free-ness so much as the visibility.

Fog free-ness would be a nice bonus though. Never experienced anything close in any of my prior helmets.

Very good to know about the sizing oddity. I would guess I'll likely end up in a large then. Still need to find a Scorpion dealer locally to try one on. Anyone in New England know of a dealer with a lot of Scorpions?
Get the soft cloth a little wet for the bugs. Never had bugs inside my shield yet.

M'kay. I didn't envision that this would be quite so difficult.

First off, I have come to the conclusion that I am, apparently, a one percent-er. One of the wild ones. A rare breed.

I'm one of few people willing to put a butt ugly, eye-shockingly fluorescent, HiViz helmet on my head if it means that I will gain even a small added margin of safety (real or perceived) from getting flattened by some brain dead booger-head cager.

So, I've been looking for local stealerships that would have a Scorpion EXO 700 (any color will do) in stock for me to test fit on my melon. If I could find one with a Neon in stock that fits, I'd probably spring for it and, ya know, support the local bidnessman. Guess what? Nobody has anything, never mind neon. Not a single EXO 700.

I even travelled to a BMW store that was listed on the scorpion web site as having a good selection of their product only to be told "We haven't carried that line for years." Swell... Another scorpion dealer only had the bottom of the line EXO 400 and that doesn't come in the HiViz color.

I guess I'll just have to order one from some reputable intarwebs dealer that will do an exchange if my size guess misses.

I am dismayed that more helmet makers and purveyors aren't concerned enough about rider safety to offer bright colored helmets. If I wanted a flat black helmet I could get them all day long. :angry:

Maybe I should just go to walmart and buy some florescent marker paint and make my own?

haha

Although those are very, very nice accessories, they may make the helmet way too hot. :dribble:

I am definitely not interested in any kind of transformer or modular helmets. If I wanted convenience I'd go helmet-less like all the other jack-holes up here in the live-free-and-die state. :glare:

...and they don't come in the fancy day-glo yellow. ;)

The Ironclad track is kind of good too. ;)