Talk about Hi-Viz Helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my white helmets. I'd rather look like a cop than a biker....
Ditto. I think white gets pretty good visability/attention, too. It might be even more conspicuous when contrasted with some black and another color in the jacket, e.g. hi-viz yellow with black trim.

. Can I ask for more details? Did you scuff up the surface of the helmet at all for adhesion? Any other prep steps besides the taping?

All that I did was tape off the helmet and wipe the surface to be painted with a solvent to remove any oil from fingerprints and any leftover goo from the two stickers I had on there.

And although I am not a professional painter ;) , I have through the years learned alot of tricks and tips to make a "home made" paint job look like a professional job.

None of which I used here.

For two basic reasons...first ..as I also am sharing the results of this project with members of another forum , I wanted to see how it would turn out if someone who had very little experiance in painting anything might fair with it in making it come out acceptable.

Secondly, it being a holiday weekend for me , I really planned on sitting my ass in the hot tub with a generous pour of a freindly single malt in one hand and nice full flavored Churchill in the other with nothing to do but wait for the remote buzzer on my meat thermometer to tell me my turkey was done. So screwing around with sanding,building a spray booth, slowly adding coats of paint, letting each of them dry before adding the next , etc, Just sounded like less time for me to be on my ass sucking down that scotch.

But again, given the engergy involved, I am happy with the result. Yes I should have roughed up the surface with 200 grit , waited for each coat to dry more, been smoother with my application, and not just sat the helmet on a box in the middle of the front yard on a very windy and cold day to spray the paint on.

Given the logic behind the whole concept of having a helmet painted this color to begin with, I find it dissapointing that I have to ask why more makers do not offer it as an option. My one an only suggestion here is for you all to write to whatever helmet maker you favor, and ask them the same question. If Shoei made a RF1100 in this color I likely would own one.

KM

. Can I ask for more details? Did you scuff up the surface of the helmet at all for adhesion? Any other prep steps besides the taping?

All that I did was tape off the helmet and wipe the surface to be painted with a solvent to remove any oil from fingerprints and any leftover goo from the two stickers I had on there.

And although I am not a professional painter ;) , I have through the years learned alot of tricks and tips to make a "home made" paint job look like a professional job.

None of which I used here.

For two basic reasons...first ..as I also am sharing the results of this project with members of another forum , I wanted to see how it would turn out if someone who had very little experiance in painting anything might fair with it in making it come out acceptable.

Secondly, it being a holiday weekend for me , I really planned on sitting my ass in the hot tub with a generous pour of a freindly single malt in one hand and nice full flavored Churchill in the other with nothing to do but wait for the remote buzzer on my meat thermometer to tell me my turkey was done. So screwing around with sanding,building a spray booth, slowly adding coats of paint, letting each of them dry before adding the next , etc, Just sounded like less time for me to be on my ass sucking down that scotch.

But again, given the engergy involved, I am happy with the result. Yes I should have roughed up the surface with 200 grit , waited for each coat to dry more, been smoother with my application, and not just sat the helmet on a box in the middle of the front yard on a very windy and cold day to spray the paint on.

Given the logic behind the whole concept of having a helmet painted this color to begin with, I find it dissapointing that I have to ask why more makers do not offer it as an option. My one an only suggestion here is for you all to write to whatever helmet maker you favor, and ask them the same question. If Shoei made a RF1100 in this color I likely would own one.

KM
I dunno, the paint job looks good to me. The MX 5 looks good too. I drive a MX 5. Rag top though. How do you like that hard top? I do get a little tired of having to reach back to pull the top back up. I really like the concept of that auto hard top. Those things are fun to drive, mine is my winter" bike".

... I find it dissapointing that I have to ask why more makers do not offer it as an option. My one an only suggestion here is for you all to write to whatever helmet maker you favor, and ask them the same question. If Shoei made a RF1100 in this color I likely would own one.
I concur, KM. Just wrote them about it at [email protected]

Will let you know if I get a response.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno, the paint job looks good to me. The MX 5 looks good too. I drive a MX 5. Rag top though. How do you like that hard top? I do get a little tired of having to reach back to pull the top back up. I really like the concept of that auto hard top. Those things are fun to drive, mine is my winter" bike".

Well, as they say, good enough for goverment work. I like the result even with the blemishes.

And I LOVE my little blue Miata. Ashamed to say it has more miles than my FJR. The power retractable top rocks. It is the only way to do a convertable.

KM

I just bought a Neon yellow Fieldsheer Quattro Hi-Viz, jacket from zzzip over in the classifieds. I've always been a (regular) yellow gear wearer for the added visibility, but this is my first real neon gear. I really like the whole idea of it for safety sake, and I'm not a very snappy dresser anyway, so fashion ain't a big problem for me. ;)

In discussing HiViz gear in other threads it became apparent that only one helmet is currently available in HiViz Neon Yellow/Green. That is the Scorpion EXO-700.

41kFdm6WwoL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

According to the on-line reviews I have read, this is supposed to be a very nice helmet. I know there are a bunch of other folx out there sporting the (old-faht) HiViz look, but never seen anyone with one of these matching bright Scorpion helmets. From a visibility standpoint a bright colored helmet is probably better than other gear.

I do plan on trying to find a brick and mortar helmet shop and try on an EXO-700 (regardless of color) as I am between a M and L in most helmet makes and want to be sure about size and head shape, though these are reported to be a fairly neutral shape, and I have never yet had a problem in that area with any other helmets

Searching for a "best deal" on-line for one, I find that everyone is selling them for the same price: $209.95 shipped seems to be the going rate. Now that's not bad at all, but I was wondering, because of the uniqueness of these helmets, if there was enough people that would be interested in buying one maybe we could find a Scorpion dealer willing to do a group buy on them. I do not have any helmet sales contact whatsoever, but would be willing to do some research if there is enough interest.
That was very nice of you.

I buy all my shit from Cyclegear.

I can't beat the prices, and I get a military discount. Occasionally they send me a 15% off anything coupon and once, I got 25 bucks off AND the military discount on a heated (Mmmmmm) jacket liner. I have returned expensive shit to them that broke (a $130 pair of gloves that popped stitches) and they swapped them no questions asked--without reciept.

They have the Hi-viz international green scorpion helmet, but with their 7-day return policy, you could get the helmet, try it on and sent it back for another, no problem.

After trying every helmet my size in the store, including the $600 Shoeis, I ended up buying their cheap-ass-yet-safe store 707 brand. It fit the best and had the best features. I've ridden in it in every condition known to man for 6 months now and it is the best helmet I've ever had (and I've had many). At $100, I will throw it out and get a new one in a year. Don't kid yourself--helmets are disposable.

https://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&..._01-100-03-XS_G

(No, I don't work for Cyclegear. No, I don't get any money from Cyclegear, I just had good experiences. No, I don't give a shit if others had bad experiences. No, I don't give a shit if nobody ever buys anything from them ever.)

Well, as they say, good enough for goverment work. I like the result even with the blemishes.

And I LOVE my little blue Miata. Ashamed to say it has more miles than my FJR. The power retractable top rocks. It is the only way to do a convertable.

KM
Yes, it does seem good enough for the job at hand. And with even slightly more effort could be even better, if the owner so desires. What brand of rattle can paint was that? I'm curious if it could be clear coated for protection or if it would behave like the Rustoleum and cause the clear to orange peel. Maybe better just to reshoot the DayGlo occasionally?

(Hijacking one's own thread is OK, right? :rolleyes: )

As to 'verts, I used to own an '88 Mazda RX-7 ragtop. It had the most unique top of any roadster ever. A semi-hard top, where the top panel was hard and the rear was soft, but with a (large) glass rear window. Power of course. And you could remove the hard top panels if you wanted for a weird "targa" look. The car had lots of other unique features too, like the rotary engine and rear wheel passive steering. That was a wicked fun little car.

2249282690098858932S425x425Q85.jpg

2063179490098858932S425x425Q85.jpg

2071806230098858932S425x425Q85.jpg

Fred, a quick bit of advice.

Don't buy an EXO-700 High-Viz based on trying on a random, non high-viz model; even though they would be both EXP-700s.

I read the WebBikeWorld review of the new yellow one and took mental note of the "new" fit, which is narrow like an Arai Profile. I thought to myself "self, it looks like over the last year or two Scorpion must have changed the fit of the EXO-700. So, since I see such a great deal on a blue/white one I'm gonna jump on the deal!"

BZZZZT! Wrong!

Even though the high-viz and every other color/pattern are all labeled EXO-700, the yellow is long-ovalish and every other one is very round.

So, guess who's going to be getting an Arai Profile over the winter?

Kind, corporate reply from Shoei on my email to them requesting hi-viz:

"Thank you for taking the time to write in to tell us about your request as a consumer. I will forward the information to Japan to help demonstrate a demand for such a product."

Fred, my ex-girlfriend had a white RX-7 convertible. We got one as a rental in San Diego one time, and found that there was absolutely nothing wrong with that car. Great vehicle, super fun to drive, and even shed rain properly when the top was all the way down. At my height, though, it was more like wearing the thing instead of riding in it! Worth it.

.... What brand of rattle can paint was that? I'm curious if it could be clear coated for protection or if it would behave like the Rustoleum and cause the clear to orange peel. .......

I put the cans in the shots of the various stages the helmet went through, but to save you the time it was all Rustoleum paint. The white was their "All Purpose Paint" which is formulated to work on all materials including plastic. (Take that Krylon Fusion..)

The flourescent paint is also made by Rustoleum, but is more of a "special purpose paint" that says it is "long wearing". I seriously doubt that either paint would have an issue with a clear coat put over it. I would think that if any of the Rustoleum paints have a problem with that it would be their "rust preventative" formula found only in their enamels meant for metal. (in the tall silver cans)

My own experiance seems to show that most folks doing a home paint job using spray cans only have problems with clear finishes peeling or bubbling up because they did not wait long enough for the paint they used to dry. This can actually take days to even a couple of weeks depending on the paint and how many coats were applied. Auto makers use specific paints and have heated drying rooms to make sure the paint is cured before sealing.

Spray paints can seal off previous coats causing great increases in drying time. Especialy if you layer many coats. If you do take your time and only apply thin coats, letting each dry for 24 hours before the next, you might not have any problems with a sealer. But if you rush like I did, it would be best to let the helmet sit a few weeks before adding a clear coat............which I may do at some point.

By the way , I do plan on sending an email to Shoei also asking for this paint color to be added to their lineup, so thanks for the email link Zip.

KM

If you don't want to paint it you could always get it wrapped in hi-vis vinyl. You would want a place that can wrap cars and such to do it. Lucky for me they are just down the road.

Just a thought.

My friend has a business that makes custom stickers and signage for just about everything. This includes full vehicle wraps. Small cars to 18 wheelers. I've used them for lots of other stuff too. I was just up there today and asked about Hi-Vis for helmets and he told me that the Hi-Vis vinyl will fade if you strech it over a curved surface and does not recommened. Then he showed me some really bright colors that are not Hi-Vis but almost as bright that will not fade when applied to a curve. They say you can use reflective vinyl without a problem also. I think I'll do a reflective BULLSEYE on mine. If I'm going to go this route I better hurry because it doesn't look like they will make it another month. To bad because they do good work. I would recomend a place that can do more than bumper stickers if you go this route.

This is the link for my friends business: https://www.stickerdudedesigns.com/index.htm

There are similar businesses that would be closer to you that can do the same thing.