Taller front tire/wheel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now now Howie, the correct term is 'Noob'.

Remindes me of the noob that wanted to raise his fork tubes in the TT because the turn in was too heavy. He was another of those "experienced" doods and a racer too. Only took ten posts to find out he was running tire pressure in the 25 psi range, and another twenty posts to convince him to raise the tire pressure to a more appropriate level, and that the BT-020 he was running was known for wear in such a manner as to develpe noise, cupping and poor turn in.

:dribble: :lol:

This is the first time I can recall anyone saying they wanted to slow turn in though.

Guess my clues didn't help him. Probably should have just told him dropping the tire pressure by 5 would probably slow turn in too. He's got a plan though, so I'm sure it's all good. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Remindes me of the noob that wanted to raise his fork tubes in the TT because the turn in was too heavy. He was another of those "experienced" doods and a racer too. Only took ten posts to find out he was running tire pressure in the 25 psi range, and another twenty posts to convince him to raise the tire pressure to a more appropriate level, and that the BT-020 he was running was known for wear in such a manner as to develpe noise, cupping and poor turn in.

:dribble: :lol:

This is the first time I can recall anyone saying they wanted to slow turn in though.

Guess my clues didn't help him. Probably should have just told him dropping the tire pressure by 5 would probably slow turn in too. He's got a plan though, so I'm sure it's all good. :rolleyes:
Eric, You sure are being diplomatic today. :rolleyes:

I was referring to his riding "history", not his newness to the Forum. Compared to some, we're all noobs. I would NEVER slam someone because they weren't "Forum Veterans". Hell, those are the ones I want to slam the most!

Remindes me of the noob that wanted to raise his fork tubes in the TT because the turn in was too heavy. He was another of those "experienced" doods and a racer too. Only took ten posts to find out he was running tire pressure in the 25 psi range, and another twenty posts to convince him to raise the tire pressure to a more appropriate level, and that the BT-020 he was running was known for wear in such a manner as to develpe noise, cupping and poor turn in. :dribble: :lol:
Well, everything else, tire pressure, spring sag, etc., being equal, raising the forks WOULD speed up steering (at the expense of ground clearance). It's an old Kawasaki trick...the ones with the eccentric chain adjusters...we'd flip the eccentrics over to raise the rear of the bike (only works for "manly" inseams) and quickens the steering by changine the caster angle of the front wheel assy. Toss you on your ass, too, if you weren't careful. :)

<snip>...another of those "experienced" doods....Only took ten posts to find out he was running tire pressure in the 25 psi range, and another twenty posts to convince him to raise the tire pressure to a more appropriate level, and that the BT-020 he was running was known for wear in such a manner as to develpe noise, cupping and poor turn in. :dribble: :lol:
Too much 'broadcast' and not enough 'reception'..... Maybe? :unsure:

<snip>...another of those "experienced" doods....Only took ten posts to find out he was running tire pressure in the 25 psi range, and another twenty posts to convince him to raise the tire pressure to a more appropriate level, and that the BT-020 he was running was known for wear in such a manner as to develpe noise, cupping and poor turn in. :dribble: :lol:
HEY...you tryin' to make some kinda radio insult!

Why I've been in radio for 42 years and over 400,000 radio miles!! :p

[SIZE=8pt](ackshoolie, it HAS been 42 years -- sigh!)[/SIZE]

thanks for your imput you keyboard jockeys...don

thanks for your imput you keyboard jockeys...don
Don a word of advice, it's the fjrforum. Expect some friendly banter, it's all in good fun. Sometimes ya give, sometimes ya take. If you prefer not to read bs with your regularly scheduled programming there is a floor tiling forum I know of that is all business. Boring, but no banter. :D

Well, everything else, tire pressure, spring sag, etc., being equal, raising the forks WOULD speed up steering (at the expense of ground clearance). It's an old Kawasaki trick...the ones with the eccentric chain adjusters...we'd flip the eccentrics over to raise the rear of the bike (only works for "manly" inseams) and quickens the steering by changine the caster angle of the front wheel assy. Toss you on your ass, too, if you weren't careful. :)
Certainly, but you don't start with raising the forks. And with a little research, you'd find out the UK crowd has been installing shorter links on the shock to raise the rear to quicken the steering for those wanting that. No loss of ground clearance, though some find it a bit twitchy.

@Ray - Low BS tolerance this week. <_<

@Don - If you're not in the mood, at the top of your screen there is My Controls, click on that, then on the left under Subscriptions, click on View Topics. This will bring up a page showing the topics you are currently subscribed to, depending on your settings, the ones you have posted in. You may then select the topics you no longer wish to follow by clicking on the box at the right, then at the bottom, choosing from several options like unsubscribe, No email notification or delayed email notification, among others and click on the with selected bar to execute the action.

As to keyboard jockeys, that's pretty funny coming from someone bragging how experienced they are. Which is usually the first sign a poster doesn't grasp the basics. There are a lot of very sharp people on this forum. Not saying I'm the most knowledgeable here. Not by far. But you might do a little better if you offer the circumstances of your issue, than simply asking about doing something most people wouldn't do to begin with.

If you care to explain what "issue" you feel is present that you wish to correct by slowing the turn in, perhaps a more helpful discussion will result. I'm rather hoping you actually have something that you've noticed while riding to share. We might all benefit from the resulting discussion.

I've been married, in one form or another, to one woman or another, for 37 years.
Well that makes two of us!

Thanks for admitting it.
One can never succeed until he admits his failures. :)

Oh, an 18" wheel WOULD slow down the steering. But then again, so would this:

antique2.gif