Tank Bag Lock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJReady

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
A while back there was a thread about securing a tank bag on your bike that was easy to use but still secure. I think my pal Fred put the question out to ponder.

We'll I put someting together when I got home today that seems to work pretty good. Hasn't been road tested yet.

First buy a cheap bike lock and cut the cable in half.

Secure one half to the tank bag with stainless steel strapping inside and out. As you can see, I had some copper oval sleeves to crimp onto the bare bike lock cable.

The other end attaches to the stainless steel hook I installed a while ago to use to support the bike when changing the fron tire.

The natural 'curliness' of the bike lock cable helps keep the cable in place. When the tank bag is rermoved from the bike the half of the cable attached to the bike naturally curls around the left fork tube under the top triple clamp.

After I have a few miles/days with this set-up I'll report in again.

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

This certainly ins't the ultimate in tank bag security. Of course a perp could open the tank bag and unscrew the fasteners. This is really just a deterent against the snatch and go crook.

Nice job. The only recommendation I can make is to extend the cable to about 10' so the snatch and go dirtbag gets to terminal velocity before his arm is ripped out of the socket when the slack is taken up!

Last edited by a moderator:
What brand of tank bag is that? It looks like the Nelson Rigg model that I have that everyone says is too big. LOL At least I can say I have something that's big. :)