Tank Bag Recommendations? Anyone?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the input so far, FJers, and the tips on searching. Very helpful all...
As far as what I plan to carry in it, it's usually glove raincovers, extra earplugs, Autocom/FRS/MP3/cell, maps (a window would be nice), sidestand plate, Gerbings switch, water bottle or hydration bladder, digicam, maybe a sandwich or other snack... Clothes if I'm out of space everywhere else... Also, not that I want to crash into anything soft, but I'd rather not carry anything too hard/pointy/heavy in it that would add to crash trauma.

I guess I'm most interested in what FITS the FJR the best. Looking at the handlebars, there's a pretty narrow space left once you've moved them to full lock in both directions which would lead me to believe that a large tankbag is a no-go. The Yamaha one is likely a perfect fit but it looks like ass...

I've borrowed a Cortech Super Mini which fit great, but is small as heck. I'll go to the local dealer to try on the next size up (12 or 14 liters) tomorrow. I'm leaning in this direction and need to finish this on Wednesday, whether I order something or buy local.

I've always been wary of using magnets on my nice paint, but I think I'll have to get over it. I'll just use some tool tray liner mat'l under the bag to protect the tank. Of course I'll be sure to use any supplied safety straps to make sure I don't lose it... the tank bag, that is.

In re: to the tankring-installed units, they sure look slick and I've been using a discontinued Bagster product on my '03 VFR that mounts to the forward tank bolts and works very well. My only issue with them is the metal plate that the bags actually mount to and the whole safety thing... Paranoid, perhaps, but if nothing else, the magnet bags are generally much cheaper!

Thanks again,

Rob
I've been using an older version of the Cortech Tribag. You can buy strap mounts for cheap if you wish. I can verify that the safety strap works, even with a pretty good sized load. (I keep an SLR camera in the big base bag). Only problem I every really have is hitting the horn when the steering is full lock left and the bag's side pockets are full. I try to play it off as "who's honking at me?"

If you keep the tank and bag clean, you'll avoid scratches. If you have metallic paint, taking the bag off when you're not riding supposedly will aid in the longevity of your paint as well.

A final aside: with the ws all the way up, you can rest your chin on the bag and the air will flow right over your helmet in near silence. You might even hear those curious engine noises... Just don't get too comfortable!

Everyone has an opinion, this is mine.... Nelson Riggs CL-350 hands down is my fav tank bag. Run it on my FJR and am currently in AK with it on my V-Strom. Great function, has held up well over the last 25k miles. (For a pic of the bag on my FJR, choose any link: HERE). On the other hand, the Engage Bags Connection thing from TThrottle, gets my vote as the worst tank bag I've owned.

Best of luck in your search.

AGirl

Rapid Transit RECON 19 Magnetic. I bought it when I got the FJR and it works very well - especially if you like to carry your music and water supply in your tankbag.
Those with the RECON 19 - Is there adequate clearance for full-lock handlebar turns in both directions? It looks reeal nice! How long have you had them and are they holding up well?

Two things I hate about a black tank bag , like every one I've ever owned:

1. Do I want my stuff even hotter when the sun's baking? No. Silver, please.

2. The bag on my VFR is a sort of muddy brownish black now... Silver, please.

I'll STFU now...

FNG FTW! :yahoo:
No clearance problem if you mount the bag closer to the seat than to the handlebars. The bag is actually quite narrow compared to some of the other choices.

I have only had mine for 3 months and 4,000 miles -- too early to tell how it will wear in the long run, but it seems to be very well made.

One of the features that I have come to love is the rain cover. It is located in a hidden pocket below the front pouch and is connected to the bag by a strip of elastic. Easy to deploy in a few seconds when the weather gets ugly.

For short rides it my Corbin/Tourmaster small BUT for the longer rides it is my Courbin/tourmaster large.

WW

I have the Cortech mini & haven't had the grips hit it yet. Use a larger one for longer trips, but anything under 3 days & I use the Cortech: room for a rainsuit & stick the GPS in the map holder.

100730124-L.jpg

That is the Yamaha factory tank bag - available from FJRGoodies. It's designed for the GenI bikes, but does well on the GenII.

18K+ on mine, soon to be a lot more.

Last edited by a moderator: