Tank Bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B) -->

QUOTE(Don B @ May 12 2006, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking for a new tank bag to go on the 06. What do you users of the factory bag think of it?

Thanks

Don
I love mine. LOTS of space.

Jeff

B) -->

QUOTE(Don B @ May 12 2006, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does the map pocket come off and is it waterproof?
The map pocket is part of the top flap, so as far as I know, no it does not come off.

The bag comes with a rain cover. My guess is that in lighter rain, you probably wouldn't need it...

Jeff

Largish for sure, but nice how it conforms to the tank profile. Confirm map case is not detachable.

And, it's definitely not waterproof. The plastic is, but the zipper perimeter isn't. Having experienced "Biblical Rain" in Blanding, Utah I know that my Utah 1088 rally map got a bit soggy because of it.

However, it's not a sieve. It's somewhat rain resistant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don, I have an 05 with a OEM tankbag, it's not waterproof yer map will git wet like Ignacio says, you'll need ta use th cover. My bag came with two covers one has ah clear section so you can still see th map & one doesn't. I like th OEM tankbag it's big & carries ah lotta stuff, it helps me avoid gittin ah trunk, & also keep stuff handy within reach. I wondered if it would be in th way while runnin fast twisty roads, & found out last weekend it's not. Th OEM bag works very well for me.

P50603217x5.jpg

I'm very happy with mine. The rain cover leaves something to be desired. It tends to billow up with air.

I wraped a bungee around it to keep it place. Lo-tech fix. Other than that, I think it's a quality piece.

Mark

I don't need a bag this BIG. :(

Anyone using a smaller tank bag? Something that one can toss a cell phone, sunglasses, keys, gloves ... and other stuff, but still magnetic.

Any suggestions?

I don't need a bag this BIG. :(
Anyone using a smaller tank bag? Something that one can toss a cell phone, sunglasses, keys, gloves ... and other stuff, but still magnetic.

Any suggestions?

Have you looked at the Big MaK tank bag? Go to cyclegadgets.com and check them out. You can get different sized bags and they sit on a hinged platform attached to your fuel filler ring. The bag hinges open to fill the tank and the bag does not sit on your paint. I love mine.

Thanx, guys for the suggestions. I checked out quite a few tank bags.

After speaking with the naked cheerleaders holding the various bags.... WOW! :blink: I decided on this one. It's pretty small, but should suit my needs.

It's smallish... magnetic.... and is versitile. I think it'll be a good thing for my FJR.

BTW... FREE SHIPPING and an additional 3% off all Tourmaster bags! Kewl. Cost me like ~50 USDs.

https://www.motoemporium.com/tourmaster/tms...initankbag.html

I have my Yamaha tank bag over the top of my MagKnights, so the tank is pretty well protected from scratches.

Keep your tank and the fabric on the bottom of the bag clean and you shouldn't have a big problem with scratches anyway.

I thought I wanted the tank bag to be just a little wider, but I have pull back risers on and the bars contact the bag when fully turned. So much for a bigger bag. The Yammy bag seem just right for what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...opic=7057&st=20" target="_blank">bag link

check page 2 for my steup

I've got the Yamaha one as well. No scratching, it will let rain through, and you have to be careful with billowing with the rain cover. Overall, not bad. but I would look for something next with backpack straps. it's a bit annoying to tour with it and run all over medieval cities with something heavy on your shoulders like that. It does make contact with the hands on tight turns, so I sit it a bit back to combat that.

it matches, which is nice..... but if you have multiple bikes, perhaps a brand neutral bag would be preferable....i'll be looking for one like that anyway. I might also look for a basic map cover that is a bit bigger (such that it can hold a normal piece of paper, since I photocopy most maps for usage on it).

-colin

Thanks all for the replies, especially the pics. I am leaning towards the Yam bag.

Ron, I seem to remember parking in front of that same store but I can't quite remember where it is. s that in Maryland?

Thanks!

Don

Don , That store is in Alabama, just west of Butler on hwy 19/10. I just never git tard ah lookin at th FJR they are real beauties. I wuz fillin th bike up in Chattanoga & some guy told me told me, " Man that thang looks fast settin still!" Here's mine on delivery day last may 14th.

P51200147x5.jpg