Tank Bags Magnetic vs Strap Mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andre,

Did you have a problem with your Cortech tank bag hitting the controls at full left/right?

That is something that I had not taken to consideration. I want to get as much additional storage as I can and still not interfere with comfort or handling (more high center weight withstanding)

I don’t ride with my FRJ truck on unless I am going somewhere I need the luggage space. The only problem I have experienced with it is in heavy cross winds and I can definitely tell it is back there then. If I recall, the owners manual says to keep it under 120 with the saddle bags and/or trunk on board….. (but it has been a looooong time since I read that). I just have to live with the Gold Wing geezer visuals when I am on a trip where I need the space for a road trip……. (cost {looks} vs. returns {comfort}) ….. You would think that as long as I have been doing road trips, I would have learned to scale down like I used to for back packing…….

BTW, good idea on the tank bag for a tail bag.

If I may meekly suggest - GIVI makes a very nice magnetic tank bag. Great zippers, great quality, detail, and no straps to deal with.
Which model do you have? I completely agree. Givi makes lots of nice stuff.
I think it's a T419 Voyager - big-assed, expandable, with a zip-off rear pocket. It will just about swallow a case of beer.

100_4106.jpg

Sorry about the background. California sucks. :D

If I may meekly suggest - GIVI makes a very nice magnetic tank bag. Great zippers, great quality, detail, and no straps to deal with.I don't worry about my tank that much. I got the bike to ride, and I'm sure it's gonna show some wear here and there. Gives it character.

That said, the only blemish on my tank is where my crotch has worn a dull spot near the seat. :blink:

I understand that Bustanut joker prefers a strap-on, but not sure he's talkin' tank bags. :lol:

Michael
I could not agree more in that I bought the bike to ride…… it is after all a depreciating asset….. With that said, I do want to take reasonable steps to minimize unnecessary damage.

What model GIVI tank bag do you have? Any issues with it co-occupying space with the handlebar controls?

I could not agree more in that I bought the bike to ride…… it is after all a depreciating asset….. With that said, I do want to take reasonable steps to minimize unnecessary damage.
What model GIVI tank bag do you have? Any issues with it co-occupying space with the handlebar controls?
I have so many depreciating assets, I don't even keep track.

No handlebar issues 99% of the time. Parking lots- start switch button a couple of times. I scoot it back toward me.

I have so many depreciating assets, I don't even keep track.

No handlebar issues 99% of the time. Parking lots- start switch button a couple of times. I scoot it back toward me.

I have been trying to figure out how to get pricing info from the GIVI webpage..... without much luck. Good looking bag..... wish their website had better description and more picutres. .....

I am finding two descriptions for the T-419

The one on the GIVI website says it is expandable 20 to 30 L and on some other sites it shows it as 25 to 42 L………. Surely there are not TWO varieties of the same bag…. Wouldn’t they number them differently or have some kind of nomenclature discriminator???

The one on the GIVI website says it is expandable 20 to 30 L and on some other sites it shows it as 25 to 42 L………. Surely there are not TWO varieties of the same bag…. Wouldn’t they number them differently or have some kind of nomenclature discriminator???
I thought I was pretty clear in my description. "Big-assed!"

I thought I was pretty clear in my description. "Big-assed!"

AT 42 L..... .I guess I should have taken you quite literally........

Andre,
Did you have a problem with your Cortech tank bag hitting the controls at full left/right?

That is something that I had not taken to consideration. I want to get as much additional storage as I can and still not interfere with comfort or handling (more high center weight withstanding)

BTW, good idea on the tank bag for a tail bag.
Yes, I had problems. My controls and Techmounts are pretty tight. Yes, the corners of the Cortech occasionally touched the factory controls at full lock, and when the Cortech is full, it extends above the line of sight I've established for the farkles.

Most of the problem lies in my farkle layout for non-Cortech times.

Depends on how you wanna lay out the rest of the bike. Not saying you should make ANY of my choices because they're all about my personal preferences. Just saying that a little planning can save you from future problems and repurchases.

I travel lighter nowdays. If somebody doesn't like the smell, sorry. :blink: :rolleyes: :lol:

Pic. This is an old version of the basic layout. Things have changed just a little, but you get the idea. The phone whacks the Cortech and the stuff I keep under the Quest 2 is invisible and largely unreachable at TriBag full capacity.

Farkles007.jpg

Another older config with most of the farkles.

Farkles028.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both types. Everything scratches the tank. Magnetics do it where the magnets are. Strap types do it on the top of the tank and where the straps rub.
Personal advantage, magnetics. Easier to remove, easier to adjust on the road. They don't leave baseplates when you leave the bike.

I just keep the tank super clean and waxy so there's a little protection at the magnets. Same holds true for strap types except I use felt cloth underneath everything.
This is exactly what I would have said if I had been here first.

And on the whole, my magnetic bags have been more stable than my strap bags. An Icon magnetic bag I had was an exception. That one sucked in a variety of ways.

I have both types. Everything scratches the tank. Magnetics do it where the magnets are. Strap types do it on the top of the tank and where the straps rub.
Personal advantage, magnetics. Easier to remove, easier to adjust on the road. They don't leave baseplates when you leave the bike.

I just keep the tank super clean and waxy so there's a little protection at the magnets. Same holds true for strap types except I use felt cloth underneath everything.
This is exactly what I would have said if I had been here first.

And on the whole, my magnetic bags have been more stable than my strap bags. An Icon magnetic bag I had was an exception. That one sucked in a variety of ways.
GUNNY!

I prefer a smaller tank bag, I have a Nelson-Riggs MG950. Somewhat expandable, but I'm not keeping much in it. PDA/mp3 player, phone, munchies and such. It's magnetic and I also prefer the quick removal that affords me. I've only had my bike for a year and no scratches; even from the two or dozen times that I've just pulled the bag up. I'm considering some thin microfiber material under the magnets, but the rubbery underbelly of the tank bag isn't messing up the tank yet. I wonder if a healthy coat of wax would help.

The saran wrap idea is good too. My bag's magnets aren't protruding through the material yet so this would work.

I love tank bags, small or large, and have had many of them -- including this one:https://www.harro-shop.de/popup_image_addit...c=0&pID=167 -- and I'm totally 'strap-less' (magnetic), now.

I resisted for years -- just didn't trust them? resistant to change? old-fashioned? I don't know -- but, my riding partner started using magnetic tank bags and they sure seemed convenient and sure didn't seem to have any dis-advantages. When I got the FJR I ordered the large Yamaha (Euro) tank bag and haven't regretted it (especially, at gas fill-ups).

I have been trying to find a discussion on the pro’s and con’s of magnetic tank bags vs. strap mount tank bags.
Since I am sure there is NO over all consensus on this Forum…. . How does everyone weigh in on the virtues and demerits of each?

Haven't taken the time...yet, to read all the responses. but after having both, I would like to go back to the strapped tank bag. Now, every time I leave the bike for a brief time I'm cautious about who might walk off with my magnetic bag. My previous bike had a strapped tank bag. Although it had 3 quick releases making easy to put on or take off, I was able to tie wrap the buckles making it more difficult to walk away with. This satisfied me and I would like to go back to that method.

As a pro, I haven't had any real problems with tank scratches with the magnetic mount.

Hope this helps.

I have been trying to find a discussion on the pro’s and con’s of magnetic tank bags vs. strap mount tank bags.
Since I am sure there is NO over all consensus on this Forum…. . How does everyone weigh in on the virtues and demerits of each?

Haven't taken the time...yet, to read all the responses. but after having both, I would like to go back to the strapped tank bag. Now, every time I leave the bike for a brief time I'm cautious about who might walk off with my magnetic bag. My previous bike had a strapped tank bag. Although it had 3 quick releases making easy to put on or take off, I was able to tie wrap the buckles making it more difficult to walk away with. This satisfied me and I would like to go back to that method.

As a pro, I haven't had any real problems with tank scratches with the magnetic mount.

Hope this helps.
Yours was really the first really “Pro Strap Mount” reply. The security issue is never ending with any farkle or other non-welded on parts….. I saw a small cover that somewhat deals with that issue. It covers the windscreen and back to the seat so that the stuff (farkle) is at least out of sight when you make those lunch breaks etc. where you are off the bike but don’t want to take everything with you.

The general consensus seems to be that with a little planning and care, scratches can be minimized.

Everyone's input has been very helpful....

Wow, I just realized I've never considered leaving my tank bag on the bike when I go somewhere. For me, unless I'm standing in a group of fellow riders, the bag goes inside the restaurant or wherever with me. I use the tank bag for stuff that doesn't get locked up.

Wallet, passport, firearm, electronics and the really important things like snacks and Tums. I'll be damned if I'm gonna let somebody steal my crackers. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never considered leaving my tank bag on the bike ...
Andre, a fellow bead rider!

That is why I chose the magnetic bag, although I have had experience with magnetic before and knew it wouldn't blow off. It is convenient to just pop off two cables and carry it into the restaurant. But at a gas station for a few minutes I am counting on the power and the PTT cables to make people think it is tied down.

Hi Sally!

S5001449b.jpg

Yeah, people always ask me if I drive a taxi in NYC, but I find that the beadrider keeps air under my ass and makes things MUCH more comfy in the long run. Sticky juevos really bother me. I also stand up a lot. For me, it stretches the body and exercises muscles I haven't used for hours. I find the FJR's basic layout is perfectly comfy at 70+ while I stand into the wind.

Quick pics on the Cortech TriBag I have. As you can see, the thing is enormous when it's full and placed on the tank. It's actually taller than the top of the screen in the down position. It's insanely large. Note that I have to place it against the controls/farkle mounts in order to get it out of my chest and chin.

The second pic is the same unit in position as my bitch. It's still a bit far forward and touches my back on occasion, but it works better in that position than as a tank bag.

At least that's the way I need to use it. For what it's worth, Cortech/Tourmaster doesn't appear to offer the 21 Liter TriBag any more. Everything they offer now is smaller.

Tankbagarticle013.jpg

Tankbagarticle008.jpg