Tank bags that don't hit the bars when fully locked.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyway

Reaction score
Another tank bag thread comes to life. :p

I am currently using the Yamaha touring tank bag, but it can be a PIA when making slow tight turns and does great scaring me and half of a gas station when I hit the horn switch sometimes. I know it can be moved back on the tank a little to prevent this, but I'm considering swapping out to something a little smaller, just to force myself to carry lass crap around, especially now that I have one of them nifty hyd. kits setup on my bike.

So what have you guys found that won't interfere with the bars? I'm hoping to find something with a flat map pocket so I can velcro my little waterproof hinged rally paperwork do-dad to it. :dribble:

Wadaya doin' asking this? Just whip up one outta Derlin and have your seamstress finish the top in that purty canvas. Done!

;)

I've got a small Icon tankbag that I like quite a bit. I primarily use it for carring things too and from work, as I normally ride without bags, usually just a drink and a couple CD's. It doubles as a back-pack with removable straps, and has a padded helmet loop for when it's a backpack.

It's much smaller than most tankbags, but doesn't come anywhere near interfering. No map flap/velcro though...

DSCN0898.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the ENGAGE tank bag fromTwisted Throttle. I had the same problem and needed a smaller tank bag and as far as easy on and off this is the sh@t.

Tank Bag

IMGP0454.jpg

IMGP0452.jpg

IMGP0451.jpg

Last pic is optional map pocket. It is a great size to see a good amount of map without being to large.

I just bought a Frank Thomas "sport" tankbag a couple of weeks back. It's definitely large enough to be very useful & small enough that it barely touches the bars @ full lock. The quality is very decent, the map pocket is good sized & it's not a "break the bank" type bag. I consider this an excellent value for the $$$$. When you open the main compartment, there is also storage & pen holders in the lid.

Heidi

Oh and by the way... there are some really handy "D" rings attached to each corner of the bag. I've seen it as the perfect spot to attach the magnetic base for my hydration system bit valve. I've already attached it to that spot & it is a superb locale.

Try this Nelson Rigg Bag. It has a removable, velcroed on window on top, 2 side pouches, and a small rubberized port on the left front side to run wiring into. It also matches the tail trunk some have modified to take the place of the passenger seat.

A great fabricator like yourself can fab a Skyway deflector to guard the button. I've seen them on other bikes..........simple piece on shear bolted to the clutch bolts....... then you can sell it to everyone on this site ! ;)

I am currently using the Yamaha touring tank bag, but it can be a PIA when making slow tight turns and does great scaring me and half of a gas station when I hit the horn switch sometimes. I know it can be moved back on the tank a little to prevent this, but I'm considering swapping out to something a little smaller, just to force myself to carry lass crap around, especially now that I have one of them nifty hyd. kits setup on my bike.
So what have you guys found that won't interfere with the bars? I'm hoping to find something with a flat map pocket so I can velcro my little waterproof hinged rally paperwork do-dad to it. :dribble:
Check this out Joe Rocket

CopyofDSCN0691.jpg

It is the Manta XL. It doesn't have the map pocket but it does cover the rest of your concerns. It carries quite a bit and there is absolutely no interference.

Check out RKA, epensive but great quality. The map pocket is large enough for two panels of a US map and is velcroed on so can be taken off at rest ztops. Ian, Iowa

Check this out Joe Rocket
It is the Manta XL. It doesn't have the map pocket but it does cover the rest of your concerns. It carries quite a bit and there is absolutely no interference.
2247302-plus1.gif
I have the regular MantaClickage. $38.00 and works great. No interference unless you, like I, plumb a Powerlet socket into the wrong spot, and end up having to reposition the bag to keep it from energizing the starter on sharp turns. Doh!

I'm using a mid-size Marsee bag. They are known for their quality construction and this mid-size offering is the perfect size. It's expandable and has a map pocket. It does not interfere with the bars at all. I looked at many, many bags and this was, for my needs, the best thing going. Check out their web site.

I have the joe rocket manta (regular). Size offers no interference, however, last year I comuted nearly daily. The sun bleached the piss out of this bag el-pronto! My once black bag is now dried-turd gray.

...and no map pocket.

This is what I just got --

mg950.jpg

Just received it yesterday from the UPS man, tried it this morning, doesnt seem to be any problems with handlebars, but I'll let you know later this afternoon and will take more pics!

For 27 bucks here, I figure if I dont like it, I can buy something else and give this as a gift to someone! :)