Tank Bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbanks2

Reaction score
A quick question for the masses...will the paint / finish of the tank (black cherry '07) handle a magnetic tank bag without getting scratched? I have yet to use mine on my new toy :rolleyes: Just wondering before I do something I will regret.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Redbanks, I just asked this very question a couple days ago. Some say it will scatch but don't worry about it and others say they have used tank bags for years and no scratches. I for one like to keep my stuff looking as good as it was the day I brought it home. So there will be no tank bag in my future. Instead, I bought myself a really nice back-pack to wear. Hell, with the side bags and the two Kuryakyn bags I use for traveling, if I can't fit all the stuff I need, I better stay at home or drive my truck. If I did this right, you can check the link below.

Tank Bag

Last edited by a moderator:
My bag has scratched the hell out of my tank. I just don't care though. It's a daily bike and it's going to get wear marks.

If you're reeeeeeally careful and ALWAYS clean the bottom of the bag before attaching it, you'll probably never see a scratch. :innocent:

However, if you're like me, you'll discover that some very small rocks can contain even smaller traces of metal in them. I discovered this fact after laying my tank bag on the ground (temporarily of course) while packing my bike in early January for the 500 mile trip home.

My mind was occupied with thoughts like

"Should I gas up here?"

"Where the hell is my neck gator?"

"I gotta pee, again."

"Why the **** didn't I ask for heated gear last Christmas?"

And so, a tiny little rock went unnoticed attached to the bottom of my tank bag. At the next gas stop, I slid the bag to the left, pumped my gas and slid the bag to the right. Luckily, I needed to take my bag inside so I got a chance to check out my handiwork before the next fill up... A nice, deep "V" slashed into the left side of my tank. :angry2:

The anger lasted all of 2 seconds. Like ponyfool said, the feej is my daily ride and I expect some wear & tear.

Hey Redbanks, I just asked this very question a couple days ago. Some say it will scatch but don't worry about it and others say they have used tank bags for years and no scratches. I for one like to keep my stuff looking as good as it was the day I brought it home. So there will be no tank bag in my future. Instead, I bought myself a really nice back-pack to wear. Hell, with the side bags and the two Kuryakyn bags I use for traveling, if I can't fit all the stuff I need, I better stay at home or drive my truck. If I did this right, you can check the link below.
Tank Bag
I love the use of a tank bag but hate them on the bike. I just bought a RKA tailbag and its great. I have easy access to my stuff and it fits on the rear seat perfect. You lose being able to look at a map but with my eyes I never did that much and I have a GPS so I don't need the map all that much. I've had several RKA products over the years and they make really good stuff. If you just want easy access to gloves,phone or whatever then a rear seat bag my be just what tou need.

Gary

Also do NOT slide the magnetic bag on the tank. Pull it straight up and place it straight down. Make sure it is clean, and wax the heck out of the tank (not that a rock or small piece of metal can't cut through wax, just makes me feel better about taking the chance). Although, the bag can move the magnets on the tank a bit especially when full (wind, vibration, etc), so I should think about some tank slapper type protection myself.