Tank Bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just having a go at posting a pic.
New tank cover in place. Comfy pads on the sides too.

8364d2cd-20a7-4e01-8cba-d599e9db5d30_zpsd21c092f.jpg
Bitchin!!! Where did you buy that, Thats awesome

Last edited by a moderator:
IMAG0736.jpg

That's mine. Plenty of room for wallets, phones etc.
I have this one also, Not bad if your not sure you even need one. I call it my glove box. I keep an extra sheild for my shoei, wallet, phone and a charger ect. Works good for what I need it for. If I had a bigger bag Id just carry more crap I probably dont need. I hate clutter!!

Just having a go at posting a pic.

New tank cover in place. Comfy pads on the sides too.

[img=[URL="https://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s522/hopetoun/8364d2cd-20a7-4e01-8cba-d599e9db5d30_zpsd21c092f.jpg%5D"]https://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s522/hopetoun/8364d2cd-20a7-4e01-8cba-d599e9db5d30_zpsd21c092f.jpg][/URL]
Bitchin!!! Where did you buy that, Thats awesome
Here; https://www.baglux.co.uk/ for us Brits but I got mine off eBay for £60 hardly used. There are two for sale on eBay over here. I don't think baglux sell to USA but I found this link that might point you towards a dealer over the pond; https://www.bagster.com/fr/distributeur2.php?id_pays=44
They make their own brand tank bags that fit into the bespoke fittings but as I mentioned my magnetic tank bag works fine & I can forget about scratches.

Last edited by a moderator:
They make their own brand tank bags that fit into the bespoke fittings but as I mentioned my magnetic tank bag works fine & I can forget about scratches.
I wonder how your magnetic bag sticks through the tank cover? I bought last year the Top Sellerie tank cover (and seat), but the magnetic tank bag holds very weakly through the cover, so I can't use them both at the same time.

I wonder how your magnetic bag sticks through the tank cover? I bought last year the Top Sellerie tank cover (and seat), but the magnetic tank bag holds very weakly through the cover, so I can't use them both at the same time.

I didn't think it would Enn but the bag I have seems to. It's a German one Hein Gericke were flogging off.

I found a Firstgear Silverstone II on closeout at a dealership going out of business that I originally bought for use on one of my other bikes that I love on my FJR. As stated earlier if you're careful putting it on and taking it off scratches aren't a problem. I've used tankbags for over 25 years now and no longer see how I could ever do without. First few times riding with one on seemed a little odd but you'll quickly get used to it.

I love having a tank bag and have two, both with magnets for easy on and off. But I am always on the hunt for another. My first one is a small Honda bag (3 to 5 litres) that is the perfect size. It is big enough to hold tp, camera, phone, ball cap, and sundry other stuff, but small enough to find what I am looking for. The only issue is that it does not have a map pocket, so I have to stop and pull my map out when I need to figure out where I am. It comes with a rain cover. If it had a clear map pocket on top, it would be my only tank bag.

The second is a Chase Harper expandable bag with a map pocket which I use for long trips. Unfortunately, it does not have a rain cover - I think it had one, but it was lost at some point. I don't like the expansion part. It make the bag very floppy and hard to get into when collapsed - I can never seem to find the right zipper to get into it. Since there are bags on the FJR, I don't need to put too much in it so ride with it collapsed. The nature of it makes it hard to find what I am looking for in it. If I didn't have bags, i would probably use it more as it was intended.

The perfect tank bag for me would be 1) WATERPROOF so I don't have to use a rain cover; 2) small (about 3 to 5 litres or so) so I can quickly find what I am looking for; 3) have a clear map pocket on top; and 4) held on by magnets since I don't want to mess with straps.

I prefer magnets, but one time I grabbed the tank bag from my workbench before going for a ride. It was on the bike for a couple of weeks and when I took it off, there were scratches on the tank. The magnets had picked up a wood rasp from my work bench and it had been stuck under the bag. Luckily, the magnets hold the bag very securely so the scratches were not terrible. They were more from when I pulled the bag off of the bike. I chaulked it up to a learning experience.

I have a cortech mini and a larger cortech as well. I bought rubber mesh sheets from Aerostich and will fasten them to the bottoms of the bags to further insulate the tank from scratching but the advice about wiping down the tank constantly to remove grit etc is dead on.

Nelson-Rigg has just come out with this new, contoured tank bag. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience as to whether or not this would fit the profile of the FJR tank?
CL-1050-map_zps8deaf1a7.jpg
Ooo! I like this one. Looks like Chaparral Motorsports carries it, I think I'll go have a look.
It costs around $70 and it is also available in hi-vis yellow. You can use either straps, magnets or suction cups to secure it. Looking forward to hearing what you think of this bag!

I don't understand you guys that are worried about scratching your paint. This is the first thing I put on my bike when I got it...no more worries. https://www.pca-one.com/productDetail.asp?productID=2724&RetURL=search&search=bike&bikeType=&bikeMake=Yamaha&bikeModel=FJR1300&bikeYear=2009

I found a small roll on eBay so I could cut my own pieces to cover a few other areas that the kit above doesn't cover. It's pretty easy to do if you have patience, or you can pay somebody to do it. I don't worry about yanking my bag off to fuel up at all now, don't even have to be carefull. The only time I pay attention is when I put the bag back on after it's been sitting around the shop to make sure nothing is stuck to the magnets.

Nelson-Rigg has just come out with this new, contoured tank bag. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience as to whether or not this would fit the profile of the FJR tank?
CL-1050-map_zps8deaf1a7.jpg
Ooo! I like this one. Looks like Chaparral Motorsports carries it, I think I'll go have a look.
Here it is in Hi-vis yellow

CL-1055_zpsa833f9f3.jpg

IMAG0736.jpg

That's mine. Plenty of room for wallets, phones etc.
This picture...this one right here...convinced me I need a tank bag. It's the first tank bag I've ever seen that I fell in love with on first sight.

Matt, that a Givi TPH02???

I'm lusting for that bag now.....

I have had many tank bags over the years. I have five right now.

Lately I have also been using the ring mount BagsConnection tank bags on my FJR. (for previously stated reasons). I have had three Bags connection tank bags and still have two. One was just too big and got in the way of the handle bars swing. But I still use a medium size on trips and a day pack for close to home. They are pretty good bags though and the ring lock are probably the best reason for one. They also make an awesome rear seat bag for solo travel (that I have).

For magnetic, I like and have two Chase Harper bags. Both are the same basic bag, just one is larger for trips. The Chase Harper 450 & 650 are still my favorite tank bags to this day. (yes over the Bags Connection). If only they were ring mount, they would be all that I would use.

On another note, the previous mentioned TourMaster mini was a decent bag as well.

[img=[URL="https://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/Tigg03/IMAG0736.jpg%5D"]https://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/Tigg03/IMAG0736.jpg][/URL]That's mine. Plenty of room for wallets, phones etc.
This picture...this one right here...convinced me I need a tank bag. It's the first tank bag I've ever seen that I fell in love with on first sight.

Matt, that a Givi TPH02???

I'm lusting for that bag now.....
It is sir. I find it invaluable. Unless its just a fuel run it is always on the bike. Just so easy to put on, take off and use.

I have a magetic Yamaha FJR tank bag, purchased in '04 when I bought the bike new. Use it for all the immediate stuff, phone, eye drops, camera, mini tripod, spare change, flash light, half filled camelback, and this year have wired it, so through a cig lighter socket inside the bag, can keep the phone charged and on while using GPS function. Careful on and off no scratches to report. Pick a design you like and go for it.

I've been using a Joe Rocket Manta for several years now, and have been swapping it between the two bikes. Its small, magnetic, and holds my microfiber cloth, windshield cleaner, kickstand pad, earbud case, and has a phone pocket. If the window on the phone pocket were bigger, it would just about be perfect. I am actually in search of another bag, as I am working on my rig for the ST...