Tank Protection From Crotch Rubbing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyDiesel

Reaction score
My jeans were beginning to wear thru the paint on the gas tank so I installed some clear film from tankslapper. However, I think it will wear thru that film too before long. I am looking to get a different form of tank protector such as a magnetic rubber pad. Has anyone tried something that they are happy with and solved this problem?

My jeans were beginning to wear thru the paint on the gas tank so I installed some clear film from tankslapper. However, I think it will wear thru that film too before long. I am looking to get a different form of tank protector such as a magnetic rubber pad. Has anyone tried something that they are happy with and solved this problem?
I've had the Tankslapper kit on for 2 years and 17,000 miles. Haven't seen any signs of wearing through.

Talk to CISCO. I'll let him know about your post. He has a friend that made a solution for the FJR that look really good and provide quite a bit of protection.

Just cut your nuts off... if they are in the way... then you won't have any troubles...

OK JK... I am 5"11 and find myself moving back and forth on my seat and haven't had any trouble rubbing on my tank, even with a Bitch on the back...

Warp

You package is to big.

Take some steriodz and shrink your parts, but get huge everywhere elze. Yaa.

I'm 5"11"" and move back on the seat sometimes, and sit up tight against the tank sometimes. I have noticed the paint starting to show wear and am also looking for a solution.

I tried a couple of those thin sheet magnets which people use to advertise on but they don't stick very well and don't fit around the curves of the tank.

I have seen 'tank protectors' that zig zag sort of like lightning bolts which would stick on but I don't like the way they look and I'm not sure I want the sticky stuff on my tank.

So, if CISCO has a solution, please post it for us all.

Thanks,

I've got the same issues. Had the bike since June this year, just turned 13k and the paint is wearing right where my nuts wrap the tank.

I looked at the tankslapper, but I've always had trouple with 'film' type solutions. What I would love is a magnetic wrap for the sides and back of the tank.

Would be interested in hearing CISCO's solution.

Whatever happened to those tank bras they used to sell? I had one on my FZ1 for 2 years. It fit well and looked good. Yamaha sold them and I haven't been able to find one for the FJR.

Tim

Whatever happened to those tank bras they used to sell? I had one on my FZ1 for 2 years. It fit well and looked good. Yamaha sold them and I haven't been able to find one for the FJR.
Tim
Click on the link I just posted...

Whatever happened  to those tank bras they used to sell? I had one on my FZ1 for 2 years. It fit well and looked good. Yamaha sold them and I haven't been able to find one for the FJR.
Tim
Here's one from Mag-Knight:

Mag-Knight

and a sport-bike style one from Yamaha:

Yamaha Tank-Pad

These are the two I'm considering, because my Tankslapper is looking whipped after a year...

My Mag-Knight has been protecting the tank for a year and, in black, it looks like part of the bike. I'd buy one again . . .

I don't know what the hell is wrong with you guys!?! :blink:

Why do you want to protect yourself from crotch rubbing?? I love to have my crotch rubbed. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Some people... :haha:

-BD

"Tank Protection From Crotch Rubbing"

Just stop rubbing your crotch!

Ron 'just trying to be helpful'

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a "Carbon look" Mag-Knight and liked it except no matter what I did I couldn't get a couple of spots that curve upwards on to the center of the tank to lay down. Sooooo, I cut mine into three sections very neatly and now everything lays nice and smooth and is a snap to put back on. I also work with the same magnetic sheeting where I work (that we only get in white)And am now in the process of trying different primers, paint's and clear coats. I'll post some pics if I can get good results that last. By the way, Just for kicks I found out that a 18"X 50' roll of this stuff is the same price as one Mag-Knight And it does come in basic colors.

Mag-Knight here, didn't have any trouble getting it to lay down. You just need lots of patience and hot air. :D (I used a hair dryer)

Carbon Fibre Tank Protector from Geelong Carbon Craft here in Oz very strong and very pretty as you can see...

IMG_0324.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: