Tank Protectors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMC

Reaction score
Has anyone used the various tank protectors out there and if so, what did you use and what was your impression of them.

Did they do what they were supposed to?

Did they look "cheesy" or well finished?

Did they stay on the tank or did the adhesive not do it's job properly?

If you took it off, did the adhesive ruin the paintjob?

Are there tank protectors that don't use adhesive and if so, do they do there job well and how hard are they to apply?

SMC

SMC-

I opted for the Mag-Knight magnetic tank bra color-matched to my '05. I've had it for about a year and am very pleased with it. It took about 20 minutes of fiddling to get it set up on the tank just right, but it looks good, offers protection from belt buckles and pant legs, and doesn't mar the tank's finish.

Others have commented on the color fading over time, but that's not been my experience (yet).

Cheers...

I use the Tankslapper. It adheres like a window cling, with water only. You can take it off to wax the bike, and it is reusable. For 15 bucks, you can't beat it. The customer service is great also. I bought a couple extra pieces for the silver side panels that my Kevlar pants were going to scuff up. You can't tell they're on there. A really grat value, and almost invisible if installed correctly. Stay away from the permanently adhesive stuff. Once it dulls up from your pants scuffing etc, it's difficult to replace, and might take the paint with it. With this slapper, if it dulls up, throw it away and spend another FIFTEEN dollars.

Had the full-bike tankslapper kit... much of which peeled away over time. The pieces on the sides of the tank went recently, and were replaced by a Mac-knight bra... very nice.

Had the full-bike tankslapper kit... much of which peeled away over time.  The pieces on the sides of the tank went recently, and were replaced by a Mac-knight bra... very nice.
Ditto!

Tankslapper should go out of business selling crap like that. I got sucked in too. Everything eventually fell off or peeled beyond repair.

I went with the Mag knight and it still looks good over a year later.

Oh, and I do window tint for a living. Not like this clear stuff is rocket science.

I recently visited my favorite vinyl sign shop. Had them make a quick pattern and applied some clear vinyl with water-based adhesive backing. They specialize in full vehicle wraps and I've seen the stuff they use come right off without leaving any permanent marks on the paint.

Gonna give it a try. Cost me $10.

I added the MagKnight carbon look tank bra to my blue '05. Looks good and works for me.

It did take some "fiddlin'" with to get it to sit smooth...sunshine and hair dryer helped a bunch. And, MagKnight has a installation video on their website. Watch the video first...it helps.

Or you could go with the real quality of genuine Carbon Fibre tank protection:

v65e7a.jpg

This comes from Geelong Carbon Craft: https://www.geelongcarboncraft.com.au/

Mine looks as good as new after 3 to 4 years. It is a 3-piece set that is stuck on to the tank using the same double-sided tape that is used for auto trims. They can also do it in coloured CF.

Disclaimer - I don't have any connection with GCC except as a happy customer that lives 10 minutes from their facility, and they used my bike to make the moulds for the kit.

+1 on the full Tankslapper - mine has been on for 24,000 miles now and tank part looks good.

I just called them last week and they are sending (gratis) replacement pieces for the ones I scuffed on the top/front of the two saddlebags. Not the fault of the material, just me and wife getting on.

Very happy with mine and glad I put it on.

Or you could go with the real quality of genuine Carbon Fibre tank protection:
v65e7a.jpg

This comes from Geelong Carbon Craft: https://www.geelongcarboncraft.com.au/

Mine looks as good as new after 3 to 4 years.  It is a 3-piece set that is stuck on to the tank using the same double-sided tape that is used for auto trims.  They can also do it in coloured CF.

Disclaimer - I don't have any connection with GCC except as a happy customer that lives 10 minutes from their facility, and they used my bike to make the moulds for the kit.
That looks pretty sweet. About $205 for the entire set in USD, plus shipping from down under.

Is the shape of the 2006 tank different from the earlier models? Are companies going to have to retool patterns for the new bikes?

I currently have a MagKnight. It was a pain in the ass to install, never fit right, even after coaxing with a heat gun. Now it's cracked and falling apart right where you need it to work. Think I'll upgrade to CF!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tank protectors.....Kinda like leaving the plastic on your furniture isn't it?

Whats the sense of having a gorgeous paint job if you are going to cover it up with some fugly shit anyway?

Most of my tankslapper kit fell off during the first rain I rode in.

Very poor product, only the 3M pieces are still on.

If you are going to get it, have a pro install it. Many people scratch the hell out uf their unprotected paint around the edges while trying to get the bubbles out.

I use techspec-usa.com 's Gripsters for the sides of the tank. Great stuff, high quality and no more sliding forward on heavy breaking.

If you're going to ride agressively, this is the stuff for you.

Most of my tankslapper kit fell off during the first rain I rode in.Very poor product, only the 3M pieces are still on.

If you are going to get it, have a pro install it. Many people scratch the hell out uf their unprotected paint around the edges while trying to get the bubbles out.

I use techspec-usa.com 's Gripsters for the sides of the tank. Great stuff, high quality and no more sliding forward on heavy breaking.

TechSpec-USA.com

Most of my tankslapper kit fell off during the first rain I rode in.Very poor product, only the 3M pieces are still on.

If you are going to get it, have a pro install it.  Many people scratch the hell out uf their unprotected paint around the edges while trying to get the bubbles out.

I use techspec-usa.com 's Gripsters for the sides of the tank.  Great stuff, high quality and no more sliding forward on heavy breaking.

TechSpec-USA.com
Might even keep the family jewels cooler ! :D

+1 for the MagKnight CF. I have a lovely half inch long slice in it at the rear of the tank that would have gone into the PAINT if it were not well protected. Only concern in the Texas sun is fading of the paint on unprotected portions of the tank. But then, a two tone blue might be nice in a few years.......... :)

As usual, you all have come through for me again with the wealth of information from personal experience.

Looks like the majority of you think Mag Knight is the way to go.

I went to their website and looks like they will have one out for both the '06 FJR's soon, both blue and silver

Thanks again everyone for your time and expertise! :clap: :clap: :clap: