Tankbags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an ICON Urban Magnetic Tank Bag - it holds a lot but I don't like it anymore - when full it is so long that when I turn left it bumps my horn (which now loud with Magnum Blasters). It doubles as a backpack but I don't use it for that - just my FJR long trips. It has a lot of room but no rain cover and it is not waterproof. I would not buy it again although I do know a lot of riders that love it. I now have my eyes on the Bagster setup thanks to Twowheelnut and Mogan showing off the beautiful pitures. :p
+1 on NOT liking the ICON Urban. I'll be looking for something else. Although, when it rains, you can use the map pocket as an extra water bladder. :D

Nelson Rigg magnetic g-950. nice general purpose size - expandable for a bit longer trip. Not a load buster. Need a bigger bag for a week-long trip depending on what other luggage you choose to put on the bike

Bagsters are the most convenient option if you have the bra for them to clip into. If not, I'm partial to the Marsee bags. Well designed and made. Not cheap, but worth it.

I hate all tank bags, but dang if they aren't pretty useful! Have had several. Thrown em all out except the Nelson Rigg large mag ... it has been great.

Here's the link for the Rapid transit tank bag. I do like it but the only draw back is the map case that I can see. I too have a GPS but still like the old standby map. Keep em coming. I would still like to hear from somebody who has the solid tank mount.
https://www.bikebandit.com/PartsBandit/prod...8&WT.mc_r=7
I had the "BIG MAC" tank bag that hooks to a plate that is mounted to your gas cap ring of bolts with longer bolts. I had the second largest one on my BMW R1150RT and it looked and worked great. However, that being said, I bought the largest one for the FJR, mounted it when I picked up the bike and took it right back off. It looked horrible, IMO. Maybe the same size I had on my BMW would look better, but the big one just did not look good at all.

The thing is so easy to use. You just lift up the end closest to you and fill up. If you need to take it off, just un-velcro one large holder and it slides off. It is a great tank case, I just did not like the looks of the large one on the FJR. You can pick one up from www.cyclegadgets.com I have no affiliation with them.

+1 on the Tourmaster Tri-bag. Although with all the bags attached it looks kind of goofy sitting on top of the tank. I use the small one for short hops and the larger one for trips but never both together, at least on the FJR.

Recently I have been lusting after(among other things) a custom tank bag from www.customtankbags.com. Map pocket holds an 8.5" x 11" sheet and other nice features. Can anybody comment on the quality and or features they have or wish they had?

Bill

I've owned a mid-sized RKA tankbag (strapmount), the Tourmaster Tri-bag, and a MotoPak (magnetic, can't remember which model but it's the bigger one). The RKA was okay, the Tourmaster offered a lot of flexibility and was *very* well constructed but was just too big for my needs, so now I have the Motopak. It's a little smaller than the bottom part of the Tri-bag, yet bigger than the upper part, it has a front pocket and two side pockets, and the map holder will fit 8 1/2" by 11" paper (important for those of us with poor eyesight and no GPS...). Build quality doesn't measure up to the Tourmaster, but it costs half as much.

I use the Tourmaster TB-12 and really like it. In the picture it's expaned which I only do for longer trips. It's magnetic and I have never had a problem with it moving. I carry my laptop in it everyday going back and forth to the office.

Clicky: $69 Magnetic or Strap-On

h_r8.jpg

QUOTE (Groo @ Apr 14 2006, 05:45 AM)

I've got a Cortech mini Magnetic tankbag... and really like it...

+2. Just the right size for me.

I have the Tankslapper film on the tank and it protects it from scratching.

I almost always take the bag inside with me unless I can watch the bike from a window.

I have one of these. Had it on my red 600RR. Sold the 600RR but did not want to put a red bag on my blue bike. The bag and mount is nice and I will get one for my FJR. The guy that makes them is super nice guy and a pleasure to deal with. Thanks for posting the link, I forgot about it , but now I'll get busy and order one. B)

I've used many tankbags over the years, most with positive results. IMHO Tourmaster's Tri-Bag system is my favorite.

It's a backback, a mini tankbag, an expandable duffle...

I give it the maximum positive point rating in all the categories that you mentioned.

Yeah...I kinda like it.

https://www.tourmaster.com/product.html?sku=82-406

Rog
I agree with everything he said about the TourMaster, but you can get the FieldSheer Eiffel II for half the cost and it has almost all the same features (doesn't have the duffle), but it is a stacking bag with small, large, and small on top of the large. Also a backpack. Did I mention half the cost? :)

Get the SW Motech gas cap latch mechanism. It's smaller, less intrusive when not in use, and it's made of metal.

The Mo-tech system looks very interesting... thinking about trying this one. Anyone else have experience with it? preferred bag?

I have the SW Motech "engage sport" bag. Mechanism works well. Bag is fairly large. Requires careful location of mount in order to clear the handle bars and not crowd the rider. I don't think it would work with bar risers that move the bars back. Generally happy with it. It did sag somewhat with some use and it does lightly touch the tank in the rear but I put on a Mag Knight tank bag protector under the tank so it is not an issue. Gas ups are real easy. Just unclip and go.

I just ordered up a Nelson Rigg mg950 magnetic bag from Dennis Kirk.com. They have them on closeout sale for 40.00 plus 6.95 shipping. Regular priced at 54.00. Looks like a good bag and a good deal. Also have the bigger bag for the same price. Bob

Top finisher in a fill-up race is the Bagster.

It's also a 1st rate and potentially huge backpack.