Tapered steering head bearing install complete. Here's how!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty141

My name is Smitty.. And I have a motorcycle proble
Reaction score
If anyone is interested, I did the All Balls Racing tapered head bearing installed today. I did take lots of pic's. If anyone is interested I would be happy to do a how to on the install. Step by step kinda thing, and post some pic's.. Smitty :)

NEW INFO AND PIC'S BELOW!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You know you want to anyway...go ahead and do it. :) I put them in my '01 Bandit, it does make difference.

Well of course you should post it, so's we can all tell you how ya coulda done it better. Remember, we're here for ya.... :p

OK I'm waiting....

(musically) Where issss it ? (tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap...)

Absolutely, strut your stuff. This is an up-grade that I am planning to due this winter.

If anyone is interested, I did the All Balls Racing tapered head bearing installed today. I did take lots of pic's. If anyone is interested I would be happy to do a how to on the install. Step by step kinda thing, and post some pic's.. Smitty :)
Oh please don't. Then I wouldn't have an excuse to put it off any longer.
wink.gif

The tapered bearings rock.....

They made a noticable improvement to the overall front end feel on the Blackbird:

uppersteering_dry.jpg

I still need to do this job on the FJR... but not until the snow is piled high outside. :(

I won't go through the easy stuff, you know put the bike on the center stand and lift the frontend with a jack..... cover painted parts ect.

I also removed the fuel tank to make sure it did not get damaged. Start by removing the front wheel and fender. then remove the handle bars and lay to the side. There is a wire holder under the top clamp, back off the 6mm bolt and swing the holder out of the way. This will let the hoses,cables/wiring lay to the sides.

Now remove the front forks. There are 2 lower 6mm allen bolts, loosen them first. Next loosen the top bolt but besure to hole on to the fork. If not it may slide out and hit the ground.

Remove the plastic shield on the lower clamp. Now remove the 36mm center nut, lift the top clamp and lay it to the left side. Remove both spanner nuts and the rubber spacer. The lower clamp will slide out the bottom now.

Time to remove the factory races. This is easy, just use a long punch and go side to side till they fall out. When you look into the frame you will see 2 places where you can see the back side of the race.

Clean all the old grease from the steering head and install the new tapered races. I used a large socket to drive in the new races. The bottom is a little harder because you are working overhead.

The hardest part of this install was removing the stock lower race on the steering stem. It is pressed on, and a pain to remove. I used a small grinder and cut it to the point in popped and split. Then it came off with a pair of channel locks. It may be best to stop by a stealer and have them pull it.

After you have the lower stock race off, clean the stem.

I packed the new tapered bearing with Belray waterproof grease.

Next drop the new lower seal on the stem, and then the new packed tapered bearing. You may have to press/drive the new bearing on. I did, and just used a piece of pipe I had in the shop. I used the old lower race on top of the new bearing so there would be no damage to the new bearing. It will come right off after you seat the new bearing.

You can now start putting the bike back together. Besure to put some grease on the new races and slide the steering stem back into the frame. Next drop the top tapered bearing and seal on the stem and install the first spanner nut to hold it in place. One plus about this kit you can add 10ft.lb. to the tork settings. This will give you a little steering damper effect. This is one reason I am doing this install.

Slide the forks back in the clamps and only snug the bottom allen bolts. You must leave the top loose for now. Lets tork the spanner nut. The only way to do it right is with the right tool. I bought mine from Gary Mc Coy at University Motors. First snug it down and move the forks back and fourth. Then tork to 50 ft. lbs. and move back and fourth. You have to loosen the nut now and retork to 23ft.lbs. the stock setting is 13 ft.lbs. and added 10 because of the new tapered bearings. Install the top clamp....

Well thats about it, just go back and tighten the pinch bolts on the triple clamp, and put the rest of the bike back together. Hope this helps, Smitty :)

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

Hi guys, went for a 400+ ride today. I think this is a great $35. dollors spent. I was able to put extra preload on the bearings, and I think this helped eleminate wobble when slowing down. I did notice I had to give a little more input to get it to tip in the corners. But I also installed a fresh set of tires, and that may be the feedback I am feeling.

All in all I feel this is money well spent... You need to service the head bearing anyway right!!!

Smitty :)

what was it you ground off?

It is the lower race.. It is pressed on the stem and has to be removed. Since I would never put the stock setup back on I just ground it to the point it split open. Then I just used a pair of channel locks to slide it up and off the steering stem. Hope this explains it... Smitty

Where did you get the All Balls? I looked on the All Balls web site and could not find any listed for the FJR. I see you can order based on the size you need, but I would guess I'd have to pull it apart to measure them and them order them, that would have to be a winter time project. Also, anyone know if the 06 is the same size as the other years? Sounds like a great add on item. :clapping:

Where did you get the All Balls? I looked on the All Balls web site and could not find any listed for the FJR. I see you can order based on the size you need, but I would guess I'd have to pull it apart to measure them and them order them, that would have to be a winter time project. Also, anyone know if the 06 is the same size as the other years? Sounds like a great add on item. :clapping:

I bought them direct for All Balls Racing. Here is the part #.. 22-1003 Steering bearing and seal kit.

Smitty :)

Thanks for the info. Definate project to add to the winter list. But....

Where did you get your bearings? Part numbers?

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Definate project to add to the winter list. But....

Where did you get your bearings? Part numbers?

Thanks
I called All Balls Racing at 888-228-3323 or 610-473-0505. As you can see the FJR is listed on this package I received from them. It shows 03 and 04. But the 05 is also the same. Not sure about the 06 model.

IMG_0608.jpg

:) Smitty

Nice. Very nice.

Seems to me that when the winter is in full swing in Missouruh you need to git yer arse here to Arizona and install those on my FJR.

Yeah. That's the ticket.