Techmount stemstand info needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyway

Reaction score
I am looking for anyone who has some pictures showing the stemstand mounted with the yamaha touring bag in place, from the riders perspective. I am trying to figure out if the GPS would still be visible if the touring bag is extended at the top. I am considering mounting a Garmin SP 2... series on one.

TIA.

www.techmounts.com/Stem Mount

Here's my set up with the Bagster, which is huge compared to the Yammy bag with my camera and GPS. Clear shot of the GPS even when the bag is fully extended up...

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

Is that the 3.5" or 1.5" stalk TWN? You have risers too, no? Do you think the shorter stalk would work with the risers? I'm trying to decide if it would be too short with my Helis in place.

I ride wiht my bag pushed toward the rear of the tank, and there is no problem seeing my 2610 over the bag with the extra top unzipped. Mine has the 3" arm, but I have it aimed back toward me. It clears the bag, but blocks the "idiot lights". I can see the rest of the gauges. Wanna get together and take a "look-see"?

I have a Russell that is raised 1", and I may sit a little taller in the saddle. You are welcome to put your seat on my bike and try it.

Email me and we can arrange something next weekend.

I ride wiht my bag pushed toward the rear of the tank, and there is no problem seeing my 2610 over the bag with the extra top unzipped.  Mine has the 3" arm, but I have it aimed back toward me. It clears the bag, but blocks the "idiot lights".  I can see the rest of the gauges.  Wanna get together and take a "look-see"?I have a Russell that is raised 1", and I may sit a little taller in the saddle.  You are welcome to put your seat on my bike and try it.

Email me and we can arrange something next weekend.
Your on! Early breakfast again in Jackson? :telephone:

Is that the 3.5" or 1.5" stalk TWN? You have risers too, no? Do you think the shorter stalk would work with the risers? I'm trying to decide if it would be too short with my Helis in place.
3.5" and yes, I have MCL's 1-1/2" risers. The bars splay out pretty quick, so yeah, the shorty should clear...

10998.jpg

I'm not too sure on the length of the stem yet, but I will confirm after eyeing MM2's bike. So for the image shown above (Part Number 10998) will I need to order a specific base plate to use with the Garmin motorcyle mount? Is there a specific Stem Mount Part# that will mount directly to the Garmin mount? The Garmin paperwork says the hole pattern is 1.20in. vertically and 1.5in. horizontally.

Maybe this one will do it?

60991_bmw.jpg

One last question, where's the best deal to be had on this accessory?

BTW - Thanks for the piccis TWN. :drinks:

Skyway,

I got just what you have shown at www.techbiker.com. If you order the stem stand, and that plate with the rubber bushings, they'll exchange the standard plate and credit your card the difference. Plus they'll let you specify if you want the shorter or longer shaft if you send them an email (so you don't have to buy them both). I think Cyclegadgets has it for a bit cheaper, but I couldn't get them to reply to my emails/phone calls (they may be at a show this weekend) so I ordered with techbiker yesterday.

The plate has a standard AMPS hole pattern, which mounts exactly with the Garmin motorcycle mount bracket (which I also got, in a kit with the cabling for hardwiring the unit) from the place I ordered my GPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
...just be carefule how hard you try to tighten the pinch bolts on the arm. :erm: Anyone want to buy a stemstand with stripped pinch bolts...?

...just be carefule how hard you try to tighten the pinch bolts on the arm.  :erm:  Anyone want to buy a stemstand with stripped pinch bolts...?
What size stem is it, and what do you want for it?

I know I could repair damaged threads, I just would need it in my hands to verify if it is salvageable.

Ok, so now that I have my Garmin 2730 headed my way, I am suddenly very interested in this thread.

So Groo and Skyway, youse two thinks that the Garmin motorcycle kit and mount works pretty good? Is the GPS fairly secure? IOW, is it locked down?

Now I also have the Yammie tank bag, so what length stemstand do I want. Sounds like you provided some good info there Groo about the mounting plate. Well done.

And lastly, do either of you two have any freaking photos for crying out loud? :blink: C'mon - help a poor brother out here.

Thought I'd better chime in and tell you what I've seen recently. Two friends of mine with 2720's were initially using the Garmin M/C mnt., and both of them broke at the top locking mechanism. One of them had it mounted to an FJR, the other on a BMW RT 1100. One of them bought the Ram mount as a replacement, the other a Tourtech. Both of those work very well. Keep a close eye on the Garmin mnts.! :erm:

Skooter,

Pictures found here....

Stemstand and GPS

I've checked it with my Cortech tank bag, and can see the display quite nicely from the seated position. If I expanded it, it might block, I'm not 100% sure. With the longer length shaft, you'd have it farther up like TWN's setup, but you'll probably block the warning lights, or some other part of the instrument cluster (see the pics upstream in this thread of TWN's setup).

I find it to be very secure, especially due to the locking screw on the top. Once you click it into place, and screw it down, it's not going anywhere without a lot of force.

sgoat,

Did they say what caused the brake, or did the plastic just crack? Did they whack it with something, or just all-of-a-sudden it wouldn't work?

Did they say what caused the brake, or did the plastic just crack? Did they whack it with something, or just all-of-a-sudden it wouldn't work?
Both broke at the locking mechanism. When you pushed down the tab on top (orange showing) the latching mechanism wouldn't "lock up". That's about all the detail I have, and to my knowledge there were no drops or rough handling involved. The Ram mount I saw really gets a good "grip" on the GPS and is pretty affordable insurance. The Touratech mnt. is a great piece of work, but IMHO is a little "over the top" and very expensive.

Ok, so now that I have my Garmin 2730 headed my way, I am suddenly very interested in this thread.
So Groo and Skyway, youse two thinks that the Garmin motorcycle kit and mount works pretty good?  Is the GPS fairly secure?  IOW, is it locked down?

Now I also have the Yammie tank bag, so what length stemstand do I want.  Sounds like you provided some good info there Groo about the mounting plate.  Well done.

And lastly, do either of you two have any freaking photos for crying out loud?  :blink:   C'mon - help a poor brother out here.
So as long as I post some pictures within the next 6 months, this should be plenty of time to fit in with your farkle install schedule. :D

I have the yammi touring bag and went with the standard length stem and it works fine. Plenty of adjustment to mount low or tall. I also have heli risers installed.

I'll post a picci for you later.

Thought I'd better chime in and tell you what I've seen recently. Two friends of mine with 2720's were initially using the Garmin M/C mnt., and both of them broke at the top locking mechanism. One of them had it mounted to an FJR, the other on a BMW RT 1100. One of them bought the Ram mount as a replacement, the other a Tourtech. Both of those work very well. Keep a close eye on the Garmin mnts.!  :erm:
+1 on the garmin plastic mount and breaking 2 of them on a Wing. If I'd gone with something other than the FJRGoodies ECM Shelf, I'd have used the Tourtech GPS mount. They are built hell for stout.

Buut.... that's why I went with the ECM Shelf. Lots of things can be mounted there without cluttering your handle bar area. Nothing on it blocks the instruments. Everything on it is line of site while riding. All the I went with a shelf the first time I had a bike for which a shelf was offered (Feejer).

TWN, I've been considering ditching my K Drive cover and bag and going to the Bagster. When you gas-up and you rotate the bag up, does the bag clear all the extra "stuff" you have mounted directly in front of it?

Jim

Groo, your set up is just what I'm lookin for. You can see the warning lights and gauges fine. Do you have the 1.5 or 3" stem shaft?