Tell me why an FJR please.....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must admit that when I got over to the local BMW bike dealer on periodic wish visits, I get drawn more to the Triumphs and the Ducatis. Even tho I know that when I do my "I wanna be Ewan McGregor trip," I will HAVE to do it on a BMW.

... when I do my "I wanna be Ewan McGregor trip," I will HAVE to do it on a BMW.
Good Lord!

Ewan McGregor and Long Way Round is not reality! It's marketing!

Will you have the same sponsorship on your journey?

Buy a copy of Mondo Enduro. Austin Vince and his pals are the real deal.

I tried all the Sport Tourers out there with the exception of the Triumph Sprint GT and for me it came down to ergonomics. I'll confess that I had my heart set on a Concours 14, but the FJR just fit better than all the rest.

When it comes down to it, you really can't go wrong with any of the big three, FJR, Connie or the ST1300.

Actually, the Triumph stablemate that keeps calling to me -- with me keeping my Feejer -- is the Thruxton. Brings out my inner oldster.

Like you, I had a 94 R1100RS that I bought new in 93. Overall, great bike. :) Only complaints were a weak starting when cold and transmission chatter at idle in neutral (especially when warm).

Traded it off 1-1/2 years ago on another Beemer. At times, I kinda miss the old girl... :dribble:

I've ridden a couple BMW bikes. My husband owned a 2000 BMW K1200RS (now deceased thanks to a careless taxi driver), the last generation of the "Flying Brick" motor. Despite proper maintenance, oil seeping into the dry clutch assembly because of deteriorating seals were a huge issue and the clutch plates were on their way to a second replacement at only 88,000 miles. For this bike, replacing the clutch would require having the engine and shaft drive assembly dropped and taken apart, a job that requires a quoted 12 hours of labor (big dealers charge $90/half hour). The FJR is a wet clutch like every other long-lasting Japanese bike and with my daily commuting habits I'm still on my original clutch at 100,000 miles with no slippage whatsoever.

I also had the chance to ride 500 miles in CA on my friend's 2009 BMW K1300S. I enjoyed its raw power, smoothness, and performance (it's an FJR with a more sporty posture, a 150 lb. drop in weight, and 20 more ponies) but after hearing about the recalls on the ECU, maintenance costs, and things he needed to do to perform maintenance by himself (a $350 engine computer code reader, $100 for a digital version of the service manual, and the usage of semi-synthetic Castrol oil as not to void warranty according to the dealer) having a bike like that was completely impractical both financially and as an every day machine.

IMO, the FJR is a cross between that K12 and K13 with the capacity to tour and the speed and grunt to keep up with just about any bike out there. Its greatest value to me is how little maintenance my bike has needed and how much I've saved because of its simplicity. Valve adjustments/inspections @ 26.6k mile intervals, standard fluid changes, the occasional once-over and it's ready for the road. Also, in an extreme case, if you've read the stories of Iron Butt rallies and BMWs, many riders on the RT bikes have to carry replacement shaft drive assemblies because they've been known to fail toward the end of the competition. If you're a mile chewer that wants a bike that will just keep going, I'd go with the FJR.

And lastly, one of my favorite perks to having it for the cross-country trips (and I think it's because I'm a CA expatriate): FJRs LOVE REGULAR FUEL! 87 octane FTW!

Good luck on your decision making. I enjoy riding the Bimmers for kicks but I can certainly attest to the FJR's ability to just avoid service departments all together. :)

Oh my, I just loved the previous post which said everything that I could think of. Sure would like to share a ride with this FJR girl/woman/rider/expert.

Thanks for the post.

Bill

I've ridden a couple BMW bikes. My husband owned a 2000 BMW K1200RS (now deceased thanks to a careless taxi driver), the last generation of the "Flying Brick" motor. Despite proper maintenance, oil seeping into the dry clutch assembly because of deteriorating seals were a huge issue and the clutch plates were on their way to a second replacement at only 88,000 miles. For this bike, replacing the clutch would require having the engine and shaft drive assembly dropped and taken apart, a job that requires a quoted 12 hours of labor (big dealers charge $90/half hour). The FJR is a wet clutch like every other long-lasting Japanese bike and with my daily commuting habits I'm still on my original clutch at 100,000 miles with no slippage whatsoever.

I also had the chance to ride 500 miles in CA on my friend's 2009 BMW K1300S. I enjoyed its raw power, smoothness, and performance (it's an FJR with a more sporty posture, a 150 lb. drop in weight, and 20 more ponies) but after hearing about the recalls on the ECU, maintenance costs, and things he needed to do to perform maintenance by himself (a $350 engine computer code reader, $100 for a digital version of the service manual, and the usage of semi-synthetic Castrol oil as not to void warranty according to the dealer) having a bike like that was completely impractical both financially and as an every day machine.

IMO, the FJR is a cross between that K12 and K13 with the capacity to tour and the speed and grunt to keep up with just about any bike out there. Its greatest value to me is how little maintenance my bike has needed and how much I've saved because of its simplicity. Valve adjustments/inspections @ 26.6k mile intervals, standard fluid changes, the occasional once-over and it's ready for the road. Also, in an extreme case, if you've read the stories of Iron Butt rallies and BMWs, many riders on the RT bikes have to carry replacement shaft drive assemblies because they've been known to fail toward the end of the competition. If you're a mile chewer that wants a bike that will just keep going, I'd go with the FJR.

And lastly, one of my favorite perks to having it for the cross-country trips (and I think it's because I'm a CA expatriate): FJRs LOVE REGULAR FUEL! 87 octane FTW!

Good luck on your decision making. I enjoy riding the Bimmers for kicks but I can certainly attest to the FJR's ability to just avoid service departments all together. :)
What a great and factual post.

The main reason I did not replace my BMW K1200 LT which was an 07 was because of these non addressed failures. I did have a new FD boxed so it could be mailed to me on the road as they went at will. And when I carried it to Vermont to have one of the few people in this country who can shim a BMW Final Drive correctly it was way off on the shim spec right from the factory. The seals going is a known issue and can happen anytime! The main output shaft, the transmission, and the clutch slave are notorious for failing and taking out the dry clutch. To replace you had to drop the motor! We drilled a weep hole in our slave cylinder so we could get a heads up if it started to fail we would see a drip and maybe catch it in time. I know it is confusing but I loved the bike, the K Brick is something to behold and feel.

However as much as I loved the LT I hated BMW and most of it's dealers which are far and few between. BMW drove me to find another brand. The FJR was the hands down winner over the Connie and the Honda. Price is a big part of that but not the biggest. Reliability and fit is what I was after and price was second on my list.

While I dont have all the gadgets of the LT most I can add but I can not add reliability, it has to be there. I paid 10,000 less for my FJR than I did for my LT and both were cash deals.

The FJR is a great bike and far out performs the LT. Will I ever own a BMW again I can not answer. If the GTL performs well I may look at them in a few years but the FJR is me for the next few years and I am loving it. A lot of bikes out there so you do not have to put up with a inherently flawed bike as the LT was. Vote with your wallet. Knowing I am getting home from 2500 miles out is worth any amount of money to me, especially when you talk 10K! So drink the Kool Aid or face the facts it is your wallet.

Oh my, I just loved the previous post which said everything that I could think of. Sure would like to share a ride with this FJR girl/woman/rider/expert.

Thanks for the post.

Bill
Bill it wouldn't have anything to do with her being a widow with a great resume would it :yahoo:

Thanks for the post.

Bill
Bill it wouldn't have anything to do with her being a widow with a great resume would it :yahoo:
Yikes! The bike's deceased, not my husband! At least I know I've got guys on a waiting list. :lol2:

Thanks for the post.

Bill
Yikes! The bike's deceased, not my husband! At least I know I've got guys on a waiting list. :lol2:
Theoretically.....you haven't seen them. :eek: :dribble:

;)

... its raw power, smoothness, and performance (it's an FJR with a more sporty posture...
Nice post, and since we're already in the NEPRTs, it's a real pleasure to read a post where someone actually writes "its" and "it's" with correctly used apostrophes. It really makes reading easier. Thank you.

(Hope that comment doesn't go against Forum Guidelines, if so I'll take it off.)

... its raw power, smoothness, and performance (it's an FJR with a more sporty posture...
Nice post, and since we're already in the NEPRTs, it's a real pleasure to read a post where someone actually writes "its" and "it's" with correctly used apostrophes. It really makes reading easier. Thank you.

(Hope that comment doesn't go against Forum Guidelines, if so I'll take it off.)
:lol: I used to be an English teacher. If anyone's going to be super annoyed about getting 'its' and 'it's' mixed up (and all of those other homonyms) it'll be me.

Thanks for the post.

Bill
See what happens when you don't make yourself clear in your posts :dead: We got you widowed and dating :devil:

My husband owned a 2000 BMW K1200RS (now deceased thanks to a careless taxi driver), the last generation of the "Flying Brick" motor.

or...

My husband (now deceased thanks to a careless taxi driver) owned a 2000 BMW K1200RS, the last generation of the "Flying Brick" motor.
I need to be a little more clear about my parentheses placement! :tonguesmiley:

Thanks for the post.

Bill
In the words of the great American intellectual, Larry the Cable Guy, "I don't care WHO you are...THAT'S FUNNY!"