Tent for FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just some suggestions. Make sure you buy a sealant for all of the seams on the tent, most of the time they are not "waterproof". The best stuff for that comes in a can, not the spray. Also, having something under the tent between the ground and the tent will keep the condensation out on the inside and rain out. I always used a large piece of plastic, its lighter than a tarp and you can replace it cheaper if need be. Just roll the outside edges in under the tent. If you pay a little more for a tent, you will thank yourself later.

The pics are worth a thousand words. Highlander, what is the make on the tank bag with the integrated sippy straw?

I scored a Kelty Teton 4 last night. dimensions: 98 x 80 x 58, stuff size: 8 x26. The two man stuff size was only smaller by 2 x 3. Plus the Teton was on sale for $128 (20% off).

Heading up to Cumberland Island, GA. for X-mas. Need a tent, any recommendations?
Yeah.... KOA Kabins....<G>

Kabin1669.jpg

No need for a tent, just a sleeping bag.....and slippers,

usually a short walk to the bathroom.

Too hard to put boots on in the middle of the night.... ;)

You can check

https://www.koa.com/

find a campground near you, and pick up their catalogue that list all the KOA's. While I know they're not the only places to camp, I've have good luck this year.... Lost of new owners and upgrades.

Summer, no biggie..... winter... it gets COLD out!

I use a 0F sleeping bag, and a thin fleece sleeping bag inside that (KMart special $10).... good for about any weather. Summer, I do drag along a tent and sleeping pad.

Only problem with an air mattress is you either have to make sure you can charge the blower, or be sure you have good batrteries. A 7'x7' tent works well....

Mary

The pics are worth a thousand words. Highlander, what is the make on the tank bag with the integrated sippy straw?
That's a cable to lock the tank bag to the frame, not a Camelback. I use a Camelbak that fits in the tank bag. Tank bag is the bottom piece of the Tourmaster Tri-Bag.

+1 on the KOA Cabins, I've used those before. You pull in thrashed from riding twisties all day, instant base camp.. no tent required ! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I scored a Kelty Teton 4 last night. dimensions: 98 x 80 x 58, stuff size: 8 x26. The two man stuff size was only smaller by 2 x 3. Plus the Teton was on sale for $128 (20% off).
I have a Kelty Teton also. I have only used it once and it poured down rain most of the night. It did a great job keeping the rain out.

DSCN0847.jpg

DSCN0852.jpg

Looks like you made a good choice. I have a couple I use, depending on the situation. If I'm going someplace & just using it to sleep & packing up & going the next day I have a bivi tent from Sportsman's Guide that takes less room than a pair of shoes (around $20.00). If I'm staying at a campground for a few days, I take a larger 7'x7' dome (Hillery, from Sears 25 years ago) that I can get dressed in & can manage several days in the rain if need be in. My only advice is to set it up before hand so you know how & are sure it has all it's parts, ect. Had a friend come to a camp in Chama, NM a few years ago w/a new tent his wife (now ex, not for this :) had bought him, thinking it would fit on the bike well. When he opened it that night he found it was a children's tent and about 5'6" at it's longest. He is 5'10". Even worse, he left it open one evening when going to supper & it rained, putting 3" of water in it (standing) by the time he got back. He hasn't spent a night in a tent since.

James

I have a Kelty Teton also. I have only used it once and it poured down rain most of the night. It did a great job keeping the rain out.

DSCN0847.jpg

DSCN0852.jpg

Sweet, I set up the Kelty in the living room in about 10' first try. Is it a 3 season? The only "con" was the small vestibule. The photos of the packed FJR is great, if anyone has more please attach.

I notice everone's tank bag has "flippers" on them. My official Yamaha expanible tank bag doesn't even have a lanyard.

My tent, sleeping bag, and air mattress are all rolled and stuffed into the green duffel on the pillion. The tent I had on this trip was a small pup tent that left my nose almost touching the roof once I filled up the air mattress. As I stated earlier, I carry a bigger tent now so I have more room. A three person tent still fits in the duffel with my other gear.

Cherahola.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
On a 2000 Buell S3 trip to the Smokies & the "dragon's tail" I took a small 2 person dome tent, sleeping bag and a double Coleman air matterss with a Coleman battery powered inflator. It was way comfortable, easy to setup & take down. I also came to the conclusion that motorcycle travel is physically much more demanding & exhausting than car travel (big news!). I don't ever want to finish a 500-600 mile two wheeled day, sleep badly and then do it again.