Test drove k1200gt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Consider the BMW is recommended to be adjusted every 6K miles, and a major service at 12K miles, with the service cost of a BMW shop being $200-$800 depending on which shop? While the K has gone for it's 4th service the FJR hasn't had to have a valve CHECK yet until 26K miles which I can easily do myself. Just oil changes which any goober can do himself, eh. I would venture to say the maintenance costs are somewher in the 5-10X category, as of lately, since the advent of the oilheads.
Once again, I have to correct basic factual errors in your BMW bashing. If you can't get basic facts straight, how are we to trust your judgments?

BMW's twins do require 6K valve checks, but a check takes perhaps 30 minutes (if you're slow), as compared to a several hours on the FJR. And BMW twins use screw/locknut adjusters so there is no pulling cams nor swapping shims when a valve is out of spec. So it's basically a wash - expensive checks performed every 26K or cheap checks every 6K. And TB sync and plug changes on the twins are trivial.

On the K bikes, they use shims like the FJR, but the adjustment interval isn't 6K. I don't know what it was on the old Ks (perhaps 15K), but on the new K1200 bikes, the interval is "as required" by a algorithm in the bike's computer which takes into account max revs, cold starts, total revs, etc. Mosrt are saying that the adjustment interval is coming up in the 15K-25K range - somewhat worse than the FJR, but not dramatically.

All BMWs have basic 6K service intervals for things like oil changes and basic inspections. This is better than the FJR's 4K intevals. And as someone else has said, the final drives in BMW's require a break-in service, but after this are good for the life of the bike. (Final drive problems have been a weak spot BMW's for years, although the new R1200's are doing better.)

There are other factors involved in maintenance and as I said earlier, factoring a 30-50% premium for BWM service is probably a reasonable estimate. Your estimate? Total hogwash.

- Mark

It was pretty close to that, with the cases the color matched lids the mounting system and the locks plus installation. And maybe it was the dealer raping me for extras, but if I recall it was close to that amount.
I liked the BMW, I love my FJR, the local BMW dealer is the absolute worse, and the elevated cost level make my FJR a great decision. IMO
Yes, if you wanted color-matched cases on the old bikes, that was done by the dealer and could get very pricey. I always was fine with the old black system cases which were very durable and utilitarian. I also liked the ability to swap different "lids" to have differennt capacities. The FJR bags are certainly functional and cheap (including in the basic bike), but the BMW cases are a lot more substantial, at least on the previous generation. The GT bags are completely integrated and I haven't used them although I did rent a R1200RT for a week which uses basically the same design and they worked fine. (Wasn't very impressed with the new RT, BTW.)

I always advise people when choosing between bikes to consider the local dealer in their decision. I good dealer can make a mediocre bike rise to the top. When you're talking about bikes like the FJR, GT, ST, and C14, they're all superb, so the dealer can be the deciding factor.

- Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again, I have to correct basic factual errors in your BMW bashing. If you can't get basic facts straight, how are we to trust your judgments?
Mark, my facts are straight. I am not bashing any manufacturer. My "factual errors" as you call them are from my 10+years experience owning/maintaining their machienery. Those are my experiences with 4 different BMW shops, in the MW, over that timespan with well over 200K combined miles on Kbikes, Rbikes, and a 650. It is factual proof in the paperwork that went with the machines when we sold them off.

a. To spend a DIFFERENCE of $5300 on a machine is crazy, particularly when the engine is a virtual copy of a Suzuki Bandit 1200.

b. No matter how you wanna muddy the water, the BMW maintenance is EXTREMELY higher than an FJR. That's part of the cost and several other previous Bayereschen owners here have attested to that as well.

c. If somebody wants to spend that extra money? Great! Just don't expect folks who know better to stand by in silence while you do a white wash on how cheap it is to own a BMW because that's an absolute misdirection.

I can agree to disagree. If you want to further the personal attack on essentially calling me a liar, take it to the PMs, or take it back to the MOA forums.

Mark, my facts are straight. I am not bashing any manufacturer. My "factual errors" as you call them are from my 10+years experience owning/maintaining their machienery. Those are my experiences with 4 different BMW shops, in the MW, over that timespan with well over 200K combined miles on Kbikes, Rbikes, and a 650. It is factual proof in the paperwork that went with the machines when we sold them off.

a. To spend a DIFFERENCE of $5300 on a machine is crazy, particularly when the engine is a virtual copy of a Suzuki Bandit 1200.

b. No matter how you wanna muddy the water, the BMW maintenance is EXTREMELY higher than an FJR. That's part of the cost and several other previous Bayereschen owners here have attested to that as well.

c. If somebody wants to spend that extra money? Great! Just don't expect folks who know better to stand by in silence while you do a white wash on how cheap it is to own a BMW because that's an absolute misdirection.

I can agree to disagree. If you want to further the personal attack on essentially calling me a liar, take it to the PMs, or take it back to the MOA forums.
You're entitled to your opinions but when you simply don't get the facts straight, I'm going to take you to task. I have said that BMW's are more expensive and don't directly disagree with anything you've said above, but when you get the facts dead wrong, I'm certainly going to "muddy the waters" to correct your errors, such as applying R-bike valve service intervals to the K-bikes. If you wish to take this as a personal attack, then that's your perogative - I don't intend it that way.

And the K1200GT engine being a carbon copy of a Bandit 1200? Wow, you're really way out there.

- Mark

And the K1200GT engine being a carbon copy of a Bandit 1200? Wow, you're really way out there.
- Mark

Mark,

I love you too! :blink:

Have a good weekend on your BMWs. Yup, right down to the bore X stroke of the Bandit. Look it up. To the very mm.

I'm really out there on my Feejer and lovin it. See you on the road.

Have a good weekend on your BMWs. Yup, right down to the bore X stroke of the Bandit. Look it up. To the very mm.
Actually I'm taking the Strom on Sat and the FJR on Sun. But thanks for the thought.

I guess if my lawnmower and motorcycle have the same bore and stroke, then their engines are "virtually identical". (Actually the reason the Bandit 1200 and K1200 engines have similar bore/stroke is because they're both 1200 inilne-fours and these days bore/stroke ratios of all motorcycle engines have converged to similar values.) And little details like the fact the Bandit is air-cooled and the K1200 is water-cooled are inconsequential? That one is a lay-down four and the other is an upright four? That one is carb'd and the other is FI'ed? That one has a five-speed box and the other six? That one is a chain-drive output and the other has a shaft? Yep, none of this stuff matters - they have the same bore/stroke and that's the only differences between engines.

And FWIIW, here's Motorcycle Online's write up of comparative maintenance costs of the FJR vs. the K1200GT.

From: https://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/sport...-2006-3965.html

===========

Living with the Beasts

So you're leveraged to the hilt to buy your fancy new sport-tour rig, but don't put that wallet away yet, bucky: the money-draining fun has only just begun. Sport touring means racking up big miles, so maybe we should examine the cost of ownership of these bikes over the long term, huh?

An email to MO subscriber Jim Thurber (jthurber80) -- who teaches middle-school science but moonlights at Cal BMW/Triumph in Mountain View, CA -- garnered the following information about the BMW and Triumph. This is what one shop said, and we haven't double-checked with the service manuals, so take this info with a grain o' salt. Call your local dealer -- that's who is going to charge you.

Both of the European bikes have a basic 6,000-mile service schedule. We know, we know, Grandpa changed his oil every 1,800 miles and his '56 Buick lasted for 30 years (why doesn't anybody ask why you would want to drive a '56 Buick for 30 years?). But had Grandpa used modern synthetic oil and only changed it every 10,000 miles, it would have gone just as long. It's twice as expensive but resists breakdown for a far-longer time. Hey, if the engineers say 6,000 miles, who are we to argue? They're engineers, after all.

The BMW gets about two hours of therapy and about $50 worth of parts from a technician every 6,000 miles, until the 24,000-mile service, when it gets four hours, new plugs ($10 each) and an air filter.

At each service, the electronic diagnostic equipment they use can determine if a valve inspection is needed, in which case CalBMW will hit you up for $250, and an extra $150 if it needs an adjustment.

K-bikes are known for often not needing valve adjustments, ever; the service manager wasn't sure if he'd heard of any dealer ever doing a valve adjustment on the new K motor.

The Triumph has similar intervals, with the factory politely asking you to use its Mobil1 Racing synthetic oil at $12 a quart. The service takes about two hours of a technician's time. The big whammy is the 12,000 mile service, where the shop service manager takes you out back and beats you with a rubber truncheon. Or it will feel that way when you see the bottom line on the work order, which could run up to 8.5 hours, as a valve check is required, along with coolant, suspension oil and brake fluid. With a $360 parts bill, you could be looking at close to $1,000 for the pleasure of riding that initial 12,000 miles. Ouch. Gabe has experienced similar service sticker shock with his 2003 Triumph Speed 4, but he has found that you can save a lot of money doing simple tasks yourself or buying non-Triumph parts like brake pads and high-quality, but cheaper, synthetic oil. It seems bad, until you realize that the long service intervals mean you actually save money in the long run.

A call to Hattar Motorsports, where Editor Gabe once slaved away under the ruthless fist of MO reader and sales manager Bill Dansky ("Call me itchface") got us a quick idea of what the FJR would cost to service. The first service is at 600 miles, and should run under $200. Subsequent services are at 4,000 mile intervals, and are all under $200 until the big service at 16,000 miles, which will run you about $750, with six hours of service and about $140 in parts. The valves don't need an inspection until 26,600 miles; expect about four hours to get that done. Mike McDonald at Hattar says that "many folks choose to have this service performed at the same time as a 24,000 or 28,000-mile "minor" service in order to avoid the extra time and inconvenience of multiple trips within a relatively short time period."

The bottom line is that after 30,000 miles, the Triumph will run you $2,750, the FJR costs you $2,550 (subtract about $400 if it doesn't need a valve adjust, which it very well might, considering Yamaha's bullet-proof valve trains) and the BMW will soak up $1,900 of your hard-earned, figuring for one valve check and adjustment in that time.

===============

But just ignore all this - someone on this forum has weighed in that a K1200GT costs 5x to 10x as much to maintain as a FJR, and who are we to argue with their logic? After all, a Bandit 1200 and K1200GT have "virtually identical" engines.

- Mark

Markjenn,

You're absolutlely correct about the dealer aspect. The local Salt Lake dealer is terrible and thus gives BMW a bad rap, of course that my look on it but many others feel the same way too. One other element that should also be considered is the number of dealers and service facilities too.

But overall, still a very good bike!

Actually I'm taking the Strom on Sat and the FJR on Sun. But thanks for the thought.

I guess if my lawnmower and motorcycle have the same bore and stroke, then their engines are "virtually identical".

You've REALLY gotta get out more away from the MOA thing and just do some research. What are you gonna do when the new K bike comes out? The one that will be raced in WSBK at the end of next year? (You'll have to do some vicious whitewashing as to why it is still at the back of the pack/undersold/overpriced.)

The new K bike, just finishing development now, is so close to the Suzuki GSXR 1000 that the Rider Association's (RA) staff of their magazine, On The Level (OTL), literally is calling it The K-GSXR! :clapping: Are you gonna send the OTL Editor a lawnmower story?! Please do! We subscribe and love THEIR roundel sense of reality and humor'e. It'll be great.

CONsequentially, when Suzuki built the SV1000, an L-Twin with a bore and stroke of 98X66 it was/is labeled a Ducati rip-off. No, the SV does not have a desmo valve system, BUT it was still labeled a Duc rip-off. It's not something Suzuki guys took personally and went off to do Forum wars against the Ducati guys who were scoffing at it. When the Uber Boxer was developed in the early 90s by BMW it was a desmo valve twin with, you guessed it, a bore and stroke of 98X66. A blatant rip off. No harm, no foul, that's just what it was.

You haven't even touched on the leaking rear end seals, the big rear end bearing that needs to be replaced approx. every 50K miles before it explodes, or the leaking rear main-shaft seals that leak all over the clutch having a guy replace that in the process, and on and on and on. What's the cost of those items? Here's an idea for ya to help get over THAT hump. Ever watch The Red Green Show? Here's a Possum Lodge style prayer for Big Money Wasted guys like yourself to say out loud when you gather at the Schnitzel Lodge;

Alright, the Big Money Wasted guys will come to order here in the Schnitzel Lodge, settle down. Take your Kermit. It's time for the Money Wasted prayer of consolation: "These bikes came overpriced. Really expensive. But they're from the Moutherland of technogadgecrap. We can't sell them off, so we will guard them. Everybody else knows it. Even the wife knows better. I can do it. I guess."

Now you can set aside the rancor of defending and polishing a fresh turd from the Moutherland and just come to acceptance with your fellow Schnitzel Lodge bretheren and get on with doing something like, I don't know, riding? Love you Mark.