Texas, Speed Limits Done Right!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin24

IBA# 446
Reaction score
I live in Ontario Canada where we are strangled with what I've come to realize is the most restrictive speed limits in North America. I've come to this realization after a couple trips from here clear down to texas and back as well as the whole smokie/blue-ridge/W.VA area.

As a comparison

Ontario Rural=50mph Interstate=63mph

Texas Rural=70mph Interstate=75mph

The irony is the actual speeds traveled on those highways is about the same. The problem is if you get nailed in Ontario its a "huge" fine because you are so far over the limit.

So as I've done more travelling through Texas (my Sister lives there now) I have been more and more impressed with the way their highway system is run. It was highlighted last year when I was passing through San-Antonio and watching the evening news. Apparently the local highway department was getting ready to raise the limit on a stretch of highway. After looking at accident rates and actual traffic speed they raised the limits.

What impressed me most was not the fact it was being raised. But that a non-political part of the government was objectively looking at the issue and dealing with it. Wow!

Then I hear about this:

80 mph limit on Texas Interstates

All I can say is WOW! :yahoo:

I officialy give 2 thumbs up to Texas for getting this right. :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: Even if they dont follow through all the way, the fact that they are actively considering it has me seriously impressed.

Colin

[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

Keep this up and I may even forgive Texas for the whole Bush thing..... :p

Note: Tongue planted firmly in cheek with the Bush comment. I am not trying to start a political thread! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, whoopdedoo. All 5 people in W. Texas now get to go faster. Great for them.

Ahhhh, Canada.

D0726.jpg

Ahhhh, Texas.

4499pcflagdillo.jpg

:D

You know, when I die, I want Rad to deliver my eulogy. I expect it to go something like:

"That sux. Now, let's eat."

You know, when I die, I want Rad to deliver my eulogy. I expect it to go something like:
"That sux. Now, let's eat."
I'm in big demand for that very reason. Perhaps we can work you in somehow..... :p

Radman:

Nice pic, but wrong on a couple fronts.

1- The reason for the restrictive speed limits is cash generation not safety or oppression.

2- A more appropriate (to Canada, but not the thread) image would be

ohcannabis.jpg

:p

Jeez, you'd fit right in down here. It may not be legal here, but you'd sure as hell never know it.

Radman:
Nice pic, but wrong on a couple fronts.

1- The reason for the restrictive speed limits is cash generation not safety or oppression.

2- A more appropriate (to Canada, but not the thread) image would be

ohcannabis.jpg

:p
+1 Colin. Definately a cash generating social need for Canada, given its political social structure, what's your tax rate? 50%+?

I know my opinion won't be too popular here, and I'm a speed freak myself, but I really don't agree with the higher speed limit. My wifes daily driver is a 2005 Tahoe. I've driven it on 300 mile trips from Houston to Dallas and Louisiana several times. I have found the difference in gas mileage from 65mph to 75mph to be as much as 4mpg. It's very significant. Mind you, I'm not a liberal "save the whales" kind of person, but there is a point at which we as a nation need to be doing more to conserve fuel. Do we really need to have everyone cruising at 85-90mph? (that is the effect of raising the limit to 80.)

Also, I do a lot of driving, and I'm appalled at how many people are driving on freeways and drifting over lanes while dialing their cell phones. I see this all the time now. Notice how many more single vehicle accidents there are on freeways outside of major cities? I do. I'm convinced that cell phones are a big factor.

Now, raising the limits on the Tail of the Dragon makes some sense!

I know my opinion won't be too popular here, and I'm a speed freak myself, but I really don't agree with the higher speed limit. Do we really need to have everyone cruising at 85-90mph? (that is the effect of raising the limit to 80.)

Also, I do a lot of driving, and I'm appalled at how many people are driving on freeways and drifting over lanes while dialing their cell phones. I see this all the time now. Notice how many more single vehicle accidents there are on freeways outside of major cities? I do. I'm convinced that cell phones are a big factor.

That's the down side of raising the limit--we still have inattentive drivers. They'll just have less time to talk because they'll get there faster. I don't want to start the cellphone/driving discussion again though. ;)

ladybug said:
I know my opinion won't be too popular here, and I'm a speed freak myself, but I really don't agree with the higher speed limit. Do we really need to have everyone cruising at 85-90mph? (that is the effect of raising the limit to 80.)

That's the down side of raising the limit--we still have inattentive drivers. They'll just have less time to talk because they'll get there faster. I don't want to start the cellphone/driving discussion again though. ;)

I'll figure out how to quote eventually

Well, maybe not.

Easy.

I'll figure out how to quote eventuallyWell, maybe not.
What I did here. [*quote] , then a copy and paste of the intended lines, then end with a [/quote*], eliminating the asterisks contained in the sample.

I know my opinion won't be too popular here, and I'm a speed freak myself, but I really don't agree with the higher speed limit. My wifes daily driver is a 2005 Tahoe. I've driven it on 300 mile trips from Houston to Dallas and Louisiana several times. I have found the difference in gas mileage from 65mph to 75mph to be as much as 4mpg. It's very significant. Mind you, I'm not a liberal "save the whales" kind of person, but there is a point at which we as a nation need to be doing more to conserve fuel. Do we really need to have everyone cruising at 85-90mph? (that is the effect of raising the limit to 80.)
Are you sure you're an American? Come'on Driving alone at 70 mph in a 5 ton suburban while getting 3 mpg is your God Given Right as an American! Keep talking like that and they'll revoke your citizenship... :D

Yup I do notice all the time. But they're going to do that at any speed.

Go to the south-western corner of West-Virgina. 55 mph speed limits, but its just about as twisty as Deals Gap and you're hard pressed to keep up that kind of pace, certianly no risk of a speeding ticket.

I live in Ontario Canada where we are strangled with what I've come to realize is the most restrictive speed limits in North America. I've come to this realization after a couple trips from here clear down to texas and back as well as the whole smokie/blue-ridge/W.VA area.
As a comparison

Ontario Rural=50mph Interstate=63mph

Texas Rural=70mph Interstate=75mph

The irony is the actual speeds traveled on those highways is about the same. The problem is if you get nailed in Ontario its a "huge" fine because you are so far over the limit.

So as I've done more travelling through Texas (my Sister lives there now) I have been more and more impressed with the way their highway system is run. It was highlighted last year when I was passing through San-Antonio and watching the evening news. Apparently the local highway department was getting ready to raise the limit on a stretch of highway. After looking at accident rates and actual traffic speed they raised the limits.

What impressed me most was not the fact it was being raised. But that a non-political part of the government was objectively looking at the issue and dealing with it. Wow!

Then I hear about this:

80 mph limit on Texas Interstates

All I can say is WOW! :yahoo:

I officialy give 2 thumbs up to Texas for getting this right. :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: Even if they dont follow through all the way, the fact that they are actively considering it has me seriously impressed.

Colin

[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

Keep this up and I may even forgive Texas for the whole Bush thing..... :p

Note: Tongue planted firmly in cheek with the Bush comment. I am not trying to start a political thread! ;)
Colin get it straight at least....80 kph rural=49.71 mph....main highways (400 series)....100 kph=62.14 mph....they were higher in the early 70's when I started to drive legally (& originally in miles)....it was always based on the 70 percentile....done every 3-5 years depending on area growth....last time it was checked....the 70% was averaging 120 kph=74.57 mph....but wasn't changed do to the revenue generated in the province of Ontario....all done...next?

So, get rid of that brick. My '01 Intrepid R/T gets best gas milage at around 80. :p

I thought it was strange too until looking at the combination of how the car is geared, where lock up occures on the trans, and were the motor settles in to max efficiency coupled with the pretty good drag coefficent. Over 100k on it and it still gets best milage around 75 or 80. Best milage (that I actually checked) was when driving on a stretch of I40 from Memphis to Nashville. Traffic was 90mph. Milage was 26.999. And believe me when I say the traffic was 90. that was in the slow lane. Go figure.

Ready for 80 mph speed limit in Texas. The FJR should love it.