TFI vs Dynojet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky3008

Finally got my collarbone fixed!!!
Reaction score
https://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle-p...trol_module.htm

I was talking with my friend who has been a motorcylce mechanic all his life.

He is certified on Yamaha, Harley, BMW, is their State Inspector and so on.

He mentioned that the person who started DynoJet is also the person who started Techlusion. He sold Dynojet when it was jet a carburetor jet company to start a fuel injection company. All Techlusion does is fuel injection.

The tuning doesn't change the map, it leave the stock map in the ECM and you adjust fuel like on a carburetor. It seems to change with load demands and such not just a set amount for certain rpm's like the powercommander.

The price is pretty low but I don't know if it is really a do it yourself like the powercommander.

Comments please especially from those that have used one or from those that are more mechanically inclined than myself?????

Techillusions had a product out for the FJR before DynoJet did. As such there were a lot of early reports on it on the various boards. Check the archives of the UK board (at least you can search them and this one).

IIRC the Techillusions didn't allow the level of fine tuning that the DynoJet does. Its level of "granularity" was much larger.

He mentioned that the person who started DynoJet is also the person who started Techlusion. He sold Dynojet when it was jet a carburetor jet company to start a fuel injection company. All Techlusion does is fuel injection.
That's correct.

The tuning doesn't change the map, it leave the stock map in the ECM and you adjust fuel like on a carburetor. It seems to change with load demands and such not just a set amount for certain rpm's like the powercommander.
That's also correct. You have four different pots to adjust. #1 Fuel pot functions like a fuel mixture, #2 RPM Switch pot, #3 Fuel pot which functions like an Accelerator Pump, #4 Fuel pot functions like a Main jet.

You do need to tap into the injector wires, so in that respect it's not a plug and play like the PC. However, it's fairly easy to dial in on the road, there's no maps to download and you don't unplug the O2 sensor. Personally, I like it better than the PC. YMMV.

I figured not a do it yourself because the adjustment seemed something that one would need some type of tool to see if you are adjusting the fuel properly.

Did you have it done or did you do everything yourself?

I figured not a do it yourself because the adjustment seemed something that one would need some type of tool to see if you are adjusting the fuel properly.
They made the kits fairly simple so anyone could do the job. The pots are set up like a clock face, that you dial in with a small screwdriver.

The Green pot you adjust at a fast idle for the smoothest running.

The RPM pot selects the RPM at which the green to red light switch will occur. You would adjust this just above your cruise RPM.

The Yellow pot you adjust for full throttle acceleration from off idle till the red light turns on.

The Red pot adjusts for full throttle and top end which is based on your modifications.

When on the road you can tell when the bike is pulling or running smooth as it should be. If not, pop the seat, make some adjustments. No laptop, no maps to download and no loading up the converter. The best part is it does the same thing as the PC, but cheaper and better since it works under load only. If adjusted according to the instructions, there's no need for any exhaust testing tools. Also, the best warranty going, but that's only my opinion! Hope that helps.

You can go here to..... The Source ;)

Is there a "pre-made" setting for the FJR? Or do I have to dick with it for awhile to get it right???

Oh yah, and when you say "tap into" the wires...exactly what is done there? And are those wires easy to get to?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a "pre-made" setting for the FJR? Or do I have to dick with it for awhile to get it right???
Yes, there's a pot setting for the FJR. Dick'in with it is part of the fun. :D

Oh yah, and when you say "tap into" the wires...exactly what is done there? And are those wires easy to get to?
Go to the source, click on motorcycles, then go down to Yamaha. You can look at the install photos for the 2004 R1 and see how the wires are taped in the injector wires. You can also go into the Support Forum and look in the Yamaha section for jpg. of the FJR pot. :cigar:

Thanks for the reference.

How long would you say the install takes? Is it pretty "dummy proof?"

How long would you say the install takes?
1 hr. or so depending how fussy you are about routing and tying down wires. The most time consuming part, is routing the ground to the battery. The instructions say to splice the hot wire into the tail-light, but I used the fuel pump wire instead. Dial your pots in and you're ready.

Is it pretty "dummy proof?"
I guess if you can read instructions, then I'd say it's dummy proof. :)