Thank You

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no5s

Reaction score
Visited my friendly local Yamaha dealer. Wanted to test ride an FJR. They laughed. Made my first post on this site, and a local FJR owner Bustanut Joker said come on over. Extremely nice guy,gave me the keys and said enjoy. If Yamaha would employ these kind of people they would dominate the market. Thanks Joker.

Visited my friendly local Yamaha dealer. Wanted to test ride an FJR. They laughed. Made my first post on this site, and a local FJR owner Bustanut Joker said come on over. Extremely nice guy,gave me the keys and said enjoy. If Yamaha would employ these kind of people they would dominate the market. Thanks Joker.
Huge liability for dealerships and test rides. You take a ride and bin it, and the dealership could possibly loose there business. Doesn't matter how good of a rider you are, you can never anticipate everything.

Huge liability for dealerships and test rides. You take a ride and bin it, and the dealership could possibly loose there business. Doesn't matter how good of a rider you are, you can never anticipate everything.
Try a BMW dealer, or Buell, they just ask how long you will be gone. I imagine BMW and Yamaha have similar liability problems. How can anyone ask for $13,000 without a long test ride? Rant over, Thanks, Doug

Try a BMW dealer, or Buell, they just ask how long you will be gone. I imagine BMW and Yamaha have similar liability problems. How can anyone ask for $13,000 without a long test ride? Rant over, Thanks, Doug
I am with you on this one. Initially this really pissed me off.

Yamaha is the only maker that wouldn't let me test ride ( asked three dealers ) and I have owned bikes ( and taken many test rides ) from all the major brands.

I don't buy the insurance issue either as here in IL you just sign a waiver indicating releasing the dealer from liability and promising to make good on any damage you do. Exactly like the auto industry.

How many times have you went auto shopping and they told you that you cant test drive the car?

I didn't ask about the new FJR on the floor since I was buying used anyway, but our local Yammie didn't blink when I asked to test ride the used one. He just asked if I had a license.

Kudos to Bustanut. That was a cool thing to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stopped by the Yamaha dealership at Saint Augustine FL week before last and they offered to let me ride the showroom bike (New 07) as long as I had a motorcycle endorsement on my drivers license. It was the first time I had visited them.

I held off till my home refinance comes thru. THEN LOOK OUT! :D

This has always irritated the shit out of me too...

None of the jap dealers around here allow test rides, even on used gear. I sat on the FJR at two shows and took a leap of faith, but had the BMW been close enough in price and had the local dealer survived their financial debacle I might have ended up with a BMW.

Vendor test rides are available here and there at races, and what not but I hadn't ever seen a FJR available.

That being the case, I'd offer up a test ride to someone who I've seen ride, or could ride along with on their ride.

Yeah, I know people have wrecked others rides doing this, (if I recall a buddy wrecked KYFJR's 03 on a test ride), but how else do people expect to experience other bikes?

I don't know about the rest of you but I can't afford to own them all or I would :)

In western Canada if you have a valid motorcycle licence and the dealer believes that you both are capable of driving the particular model and not there just for a joy ride then you're out on a demo ride at most dealers. The various manufactures also organize days where they bring in demo bikes to test.

While I was looking, the local dealer didnt have any in stock, but called as soon as they got one on the floor... test ride...how long and how far can I ride, their response, stay in the state..... see ya!..... 300 miles later, I returned... purchased on the spot... never woulda bought without a test ride... Bustanut Joker - I think U got a bike sold ...too bad no commission....lol... way cool thing to do!

Mosa

No big deal really, though yamaha should give me sumpin :D I was a little nervous until Doug showed up in full gear an his own bike then it all went away. Great guy who loves bikes. Thanks for coming by Doug.

Yesterday was my day to meet a couple of forum brothers as Jestal stopped by also. No doubt one of the most inteligent guys we have here. Hope his probation ends soon ;) See ya in may Al.

:jester:

Thanks again Joker. The FJR is an amazing bike, if I can do something about it putting my right hand to sleep, I'm buying one. Also that FJR plaque that you made on your pantograph is very cool. Doug

I wanted a FJR early on and couldn't get one, bought a 2000 ST1100. I rode some nice guy's 04 FJR that I didn't even know, and liked it. I also sat on the 06 at the bike show and ordered one.

A guy from work test drove a Goldwing and wrecked it right in front of the dealer. He ran aground on the running boards somehow?

My husband insisted I "sit" on an FJR back in 2005. I had a Ninja 1000R then and was resistant to owning a "sport touring" bike. The last one I had was miserable to ride. Anyway, we went to our local dealership buy they didn't have one...when a guy rode up on one. My husband asked the guy is I could sit on it. Turns out, he owned the dealership! He told me to go home and get my helmet and come back and ride his bike. I fell in love immediately. I would have never sold my trusty old Ninja but after a ride on the FJR I was sold! Unfortunately he wouldn't sell me that bike. I had to track one down. Back then you had to order one. Took a few days but I finally found a new one for sale 100 miles from my home. Loved that bike!

Good kudo's on ya joker. This is what this site is about. Alot of us here had to do the waiting period with not even being able to sit on one. Working at the Cycle World show I had the opportunity to test one but had to work and it was a torrential down pour that day and decided to pass with just a seat feel on the floor model to decide. That was enough for me but it was a leap of faith to make the purchase that way. I do not regret one minute of it though. Ride on Joker you helped out one of us. PM. <>< :good:

because they aren't asking $23,000.00.

From the other side of the counter: most 'tire-kickers' indicate to the dealer/salesperson that they're an expert/experienced rider when trying to score a 'test-ride'. Few (if any?) will admit to their amateur status -- especially when wanting to ride a bike like an FJR. Similarly, dads tell the salesesperson how good their little kiddy can ride in the hope that he'll be able to take a little bike for a spin when it's obvious he/she, the kiddie, doesn't understand much about motorcycles.

Motorcycle riding is a difficult/complicated task requiring a complex set of skills that aren't (for many) in-grained. Then, you throw-in a new/different bike with different ergos, balance points, controls placement (not to mention 145hp!) -- and I don't fault dealers for not offering test rides.

Not everyone needs an FJR test ride -- if that were so, there might not be any FJRs in the U.S. today...... ;)

You gonna buy a FJR now??

Tom

He was just curious to see how easy it would be to steal bust's scoot. :lol: