That V-Twin sound

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yea. Looks like the SV line is the reincarnation of the TL line which suffered from mostly bad press in it's first year.
This must be the 'TL' done right.

Gotta check some prices. I love that 90° placement. No balance shafts necessary.

Tenchi; I checked out the vids. Definitely sedate with the stocker, the scorp system sounds great. You can tell it's not as deep as the 1000.
I have an '03 SV1000S I put TLR heads and cams in and redid the suspension. It is what Suzuki should have done. I absolutely love it!

I've always preferred the sound of a Twin , a bit more throaty .

The TLS is a nice ride, like the SuperHawk .. under appreciated by many

I love the V Twin sound. What are my options for a big twin powered sportbike or standard/naked bike?

Aprilia Tuono - sweet bike, few dealers, hard to get parts, not sure if it's reliable, maintenance probably isn't cheap

Ducati L Twin sounds awesome, Monster 1100 or a Streetfighter, but again reliability and maintenance costs concern me

Suzuki SV1000S - I think I can still find a new '07 locally for under 10k OTD

Honda RC51 - hard to find clean low mileage bikes anymore

Buell - I know very little about them... whether they're reliable and well made, or whether... well, whether it's like a Harley

I've been looking to get my FJR a lighter, more sporty companion. I love the character of V Twin motors, but I also want something with a fairly comfortable and upright riding position. So far the Aprilia Tuono R and the SV1000S are top contenders for me. The Aprilia is much more sexy, but again I'm not sure about the hassles that might come with owning an Italian sportbike.

Oh why did I find this thread...I really miss my SV1000 now :(

Agreed! +1 x 10

I had the same one. I had to buy it in '06 as a leftover because you couldnt get it in red any-more. The red and black color scheme matched my '04 F-350 perfectly. I miss that bike alot. But truth is if i hadnt wrecked it, I probably wouldnt have bought the feeger either. so I'll deal with the loss, and hold on to the memories... (sniff) :sadsmiley02:

I have a 98 TLR. Yosh cans, TRE, PCIII, speigler handlebar kit, and NO2. farkles, you know.

Great bike. I get comments every time I ride it on how good it sounds when I'm on the throttle. It would be just about perfect if it weighed about 100 pounds less and had a better suspension. There are good aftermarket options for the suspension but it's still heavy for a true sport bike.

The TL 1000 S was a Great looking bike ,, sounded Great ,,,

I never rode one ,,, heard they were very uncomfortable and didn't handle well..

( had head shake problem ,,)

But a damn sexy bike ,,,right up there with the 916 and the R1...

The head shake "problem" was greatly overplayed by the motomedia and was resolved by the addition of a steering damper. however, it was too late for Suzuki as the model was forever tainted.

Handling was compromised by 2 things; the bike was relatively heavy and it had a marginal suspension, a unique rotary damper for the rear shock that didn't work well. forks were typical stock for the time which wasn't great expecially for a heavy bike.

you can get loads of info on the bike at TLplanet.com . there are a few guys that race them but it just doesn't make a great race bike against lighter and more powervul V-twins.

My other bike is a 2003 SV1000 "Naked". I picked it up last year with 3500 miles on it and have about 14,000 on it now. It's a great bike and it's got some aftermarket pipes on it so you get that nice V-twin rumble.

Just got back from a trip in October with it up in Deals Gap. Did 400 miles in 2 days to include the Dragon, Hellbender 28, Cherohala Skyway, Foothills Parkway, and a couple other local roads.

I love that bike and hopefully the new FJR doesn't spoil me so much that I don't want to ride the SV becuase it's a great bike.

The TL 1000 S was a Great looking bike ,, sounded Great ,,,
I never rode one ,,, heard they were very uncomfortable and didn't handle well..

( had head shake problem ,,)

But a damn sexy bike ,,,right up there with the 916 and the R1...
the tl1000s is a great bike... still have my 97 with me...

3rd oldest bike in the garage... topped only by a 82 cb750 bol d'or (spent a big chunk of my teen years on it... 4 years of which were before i got my driver's license...) and a gl1500...

handling woes fixed by throwing out the rotary damper and sticking a bitubo into it... when that was done i got rid of the steering damper...

1400kms over 2 days is the longest i've spent on the saddle... haven't gotten sore from it yet... cans are stock cept for baffle removal... i still love the sound...

it's outlived a few other twins from my past... a ducati monster that put me through electricals hell and an r1150r that i found a bit soulless among others... it's outlived a few sportbikes from my past too... a couple of r1s, an r6 and a blade... those have come and gone but the tl's still here...

I got my son and SV650 about a month ago, I told him ride it and see what he thinks and if he doesn't want to keep it I will. I have two brothers exhaust on my FJR and I'm thinking about putting something on the SV. There is something about the sound of a V-twin

This video actually almost had me picking up a '99 TLS. I'm in love with this bike, but sanity and fiscal responsibility took over and so I remain a one bike man. For now.
The sound alone is worth the price of admission. CLICK

The clip-ons on this bike are actually ahead of the forks. It wouldn't be as comfy as the Feej but great fun on the side.
2 minutes 51 seconds of ecstasy!

I had my SV650 before my FJR. Can't seem to part with it. It's an '04 with lots of mods including a full Yoshumira stainless racing exhaust with power comander plus cartridge emulators in the forks. It is one sweet little bike. I keep it for one 10 day long ride through West Virginia and North Carolina per season. It costs a lot of dough to keep it insured for that one trip (Canadian rates) but I love that little scooter. It just flies through the twisties, even loaded up with all my gear.

:yahoo:

My '02 V-Strom sounds pretty sweet with Stayintune pipes. Not too loud but that v-twin sound is much deeper then the stock pipes. The V-Strom is an all day bike that is almost as comfortable as the FJR too.

My current 05 SV650S. Purchased as a rebuildable wreck. After many weekends of toil, this is the result:

Side%20Shot%20sm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: