The Best Damn Place in the World to Live is...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread. Perfect for daydreaming. If anyone's interested, here's what I've tried:

Central Ohio

Central Connecticut

Long Island (Nassau Co.)

Boston

Los Angeles (Ontario, Pasadena, Rancho Cuckamonga)

New Hampshire (Salem)

Boston suburbs (Woburn, Acton, Tewksbury)

Denver suburbs (Englewood, Highlands Ranch, Littleton)

Boston suburbs again (Brookline, Merrimac)

San Diego

Salt Lake City

What's the hands down winner? Colorado. The mountains are a bit closer here, the New York culture a little more vast, the California sights "bigger" (you know what I mean) and the folks in Ohio are some of the friendliest in the world but if you mix them all together - Colorado is the place to be (and they got separation of church and state!). One of these days they'll take me back. God, I hope so...

Colorado baby!

4 balanced seasons with each one lasting 3-4 months.

Canyons, plains, 14 thousand foot mountains, continental divide, rivers, sand dunes, plateaus, mesas, not too hot in the summer and not too cold in the winter, 4-wheeling, outdoor sports galore, motorcycle-friendly people, diversity of people, plenty of open space for free use, and the ultimate Colorado rocky mountain high (that is if you've been atop a 14'er at sunset looking out over the vast beauty in front of you).

Real estate isn't crazy expensive like CA or the east coat.

The only negative is there is no beach. But that's why we have Panama City, right?

A bunch of the local kids that my kids were friendly with in high school have migrated to the Boulder area. They all tell me it's the shizzat.

I've actually been to Boulder twice for week long boondoggles meetings. I did like the laid back feeling for a city with so much cultural stuff. And obviously the scenery in the Rockies is breathtaking.

Oh, and 08FJR4ME, we have similar backgrounds. I was born in MA, moved to ME, joined the Navy and traveled around and lived in IL, CA, VA then returned to MA. Now defected to NH. It's still way cheaper up here than in MA even with the current Real Estate woes. BTW, that $600k house was never really worth $600k! It was all an illusion ;)

Great thread. Perfect for daydreaming. If anyone's interested, here's what I've tried:
Central Ohio

Central Connecticut

Long Island (Nassau Co.)

Boston

Los Angeles (Ontario, Pasadena, Rancho Cuckamonga)

New Hampshire (Salem)

Boston suburbs (Woburn, Acton, Tewksbury)

Denver suburbs (Englewood, Highlands Ranch, Littleton)

Boston suburbs again (Brookline, Merrimac)

San Diego

Salt Lake City

What's the hands down winner? Colorado. The mountains are a bit closer here, the New York culture a little more vast, the California sights "bigger" (you know what I mean) and the folks in Ohio are some of the friendliest in the world but if you mix them all together - Colorado is the place to be (and they got separation of church and state!). One of these days they'll take me back. God, I hope so...
Hurry on back before the Front Range ( Pueblo to Ft. Collins ) is all one city! We had 65 to 70 temps last week, zero yesterday morning. Colorado has every climate swing out there. The humidity is low and comfortable most of the time. People are pretty friendly here to. The crime as with any growing city is a lot worse in recent years.

I consider Rolla, MO to be my 'sole home' because I've spent at least part of every year there for over 20 years working on the family farm.
Been through there a few times though always on 55 passin by :angry: . Gotta be some damn good riding roads there.

I like Owosso.. A Bar every six blocks :dribble:

:jester:

Oh, and 08FJR4ME, we have similar backgrounds. I was born in MA, moved to ME, joined the Navy and traveled around and lived in IL, CA, VA then returned to MA. Now defected to NH. It's still way cheaper up here than in MA even with the current Real Estate woes. BTW, that $600k house was never really worth $600k! It was all an illusion ;)
I wish i could tell that to the Town clerk when i pay the bill. I know i will be stuck here for at least another 5 years.

Yeah, but only an hour away from some elevation and twisty roads.
Got any uh that humidity in Norfolk?
You better believe it!
Yeah, I lived in that area for a few (naval) years. We had a cute little house across the river in Hampton. I don't remember the humidity being any worse than the seasonal BS we have to put up with up here in New England. Maybe it's because after a winter of constant sub freezing temps, that 90 degrees 90 percent humidity feels that much worse. Or maybe it's because when I was on my ship they seemed to love to drag us all to the Med for the winter and down into the Carribean during the middle of summer... Oh, and FWIW, in those days we didn't have the coin for AC in either the house or the car (note lack of s'es).

Scuba - believe me, if I could I would. I only left back in '02 because there was no work at all. I've never seen anything like it - I was out for a year and a half. Even as a Sun certified Java geek I couldn't get a gig at Micky D's (they were only hiring PhDs). I watched more gifted software talent go into real estate/sales support/stay-at-home Mom/Dad than I ever could have imagined - it was ghastly. I can't imagine the market is much fun now either.

What part of Littleton? I was across from the hospital just north of Couty Line near the Highline Canal. Best place I've ever lived. Man, I sure miss it.

ps - I heard about the 60 degree weather. :glare:

Something wrong with Hawaii?jim
Well, let'$ $ee... No, there'$ really nothing wrong with living in Hawaii. Except, that in the bike $cene, you are $ort of limited a$ to how far you can wander, $ince it'$ a bunch of i$land$.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scuba - believe me, if I could I would. I only left back in '02 because there was no work at all. I've never seen anything like it - I was out for a year and a half. Even as a Sun certified Java geek I couldn't get a gig at Micky D's (they were only hiring PhDs). I watched more gifted software talent go into real estate/sales support/stay-at-home Mom/Dad than I ever could have imagined - it was ghastly. I can't imagine the market is much fun now either.

What part of Littleton? I was across from the hospital just north of Couty Line near the Highline Canal. Best place I've ever lived. Man, I sure miss it.

ps - I heard about the 60 degree weather. :glare:
I live right across from Chatfield reservoir. A mile or so to the north and west. The job market here is starting to tank pretty fast right now. Property values are suffering as well. Denver has always been a boom town,it will come back.

Something wrong with Hawaii?jim
Well, let'$ $ee... No, there'$ really nothing wrong with living in Hawaii. Except, that in the bike $cene, you are $ort of limited a$ to how far you can wander, $ince it'$ a bunch of i$land$.
with the expertise and creativity here, a feej could be attached on top of a jet ski

or at least equipped with paddle rear tire and front wheel with ski attached

I'm a born and raised Texan, went to school for a spell in Beserkly, CA, then, back to Texas for a career and now retired in Johnson City, TN. I've got to say that there's always a special place in my heart for Texas but I do love East Tennessee. JoCy has a reasonable cost of living, great medical facilities and 4 seasons. The avg high temp in summer is mid to high 80's. And, it's close to some of the best motorcycle roads in the world.

I'm a born and raised Texan, went to school for a spell in Beserkly, CA, then, back to Texas for a career and now retired in Johnson City, TN. I've got to say that there's always a special place in my heart for Texas but I do love East Tennessee. JoCy has a reasonable cost of living, great medical facilities and 4 seasons. The avg high temp in summer is mid to high 80's. And, it's close to some of the best motorcycle roads in the world.
SSSSSSHHHHHH! Brazos, they're all gonna wanta live here.

jim