The best sport bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There may be faster, more expensive or cheaper, better looking bikes, but NO production sportbike on this planet comes out of the box more track-ready and talks to your heart and soul like this Desmodromic magnifico Italian masterpiece:

SBK-1198SP_2011_Studio_R_B01_1920x1280_mediagallery_output_image_1920x1080.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta side with the Desmo crowd. If I was only 6" shorter, 50 lbs lighter and several years younger back, flexible enough to get and stay in the sport riding contortion, I would never ride anything but Ducks. I sure loved my little Monster. I just couldn't walk after riding it for more than an hour. ;)

You will notice that I did not inlcude a vote for my '04 Hayabusa, which I sold after 6 months and having the shit scared out of me regularly whenever I cracked the throttle a bit much or went too hot into a corner. I hated the cornering characteristics of this bike.

100_1511.jpg

Interesting question. After riding for a year I really enjoy the FJR. But I've had my eye on the Daytona 675 for the past few months. The bike really sounds good and looks awesome.

No offense intended since everyones definition of a 'sportbike' is different, but I don't feel Interceptors should even be considered a sportbike, especially V-tec Interceptors. Ever ridden an interceptor mid-curve when the Vtec kicks in? It unweights the front tire and makes you run wide-kind of dangerous. IMO, an interceptor is a lightweight sport touring mount, but no sportbike.

While a Hayabusa is an EXTREMELY fun bike to ride on the street(My friend Brock RIP had a 99' that turned just over 200hp naturally aspirated at the wheel plus he took about 70lbs off of it)it was still far too heavy to be considered a sportbike. My god that bike was fun to ride though. The power was so intoxicating :yahoo:

No offense intended since everyones definition of a 'sportbike' is different, but I don't feel Interceptors should even be considered a sportbike, especially V-tec Interceptors. Ever ridden an interceptor mid-curve when the Vtec kicks in? It unweights the front tire and makes you run wide-kind of dangerous. IMO, an interceptor is a lightweight sport touring mount, but no sportbike.

While a Hayabusa is an EXTREMELY fun bike to ride on the street(My friend Brock RIP had a 99' that turned just over 200hp naturally aspirated at the wheel plus he took about 70lbs off of it)it was still far too heavy to be considered a sportbike. My god that bike was fun to ride though. The power was so intoxicating :yahoo:
+1 - I agree. Both the VFR and 'busa are nice St bikes.

Not in the same way as the FJR, which is more of a sT or ssT.

The pre-VTECH 5th generation Viffers are very capable St's with none of the fueling warts of the 6th gen Vtech. Of course, being a current owner I am a bit biased. ;) You think we have generation wars here? Visit the VFR forums. :p

+1 - I agree. Both the VFR and 'busa are nice St bikes.

Not in the same way as the FJR, which is more of a sT or ssT.

The pre-VTECH 5th generation Viffers are very capable St's with none of the fueling warts of the 6th gen Vtech. Of course, being a current owner I am a bit biased. ;) You think we have generation wars here? Visit the VFR forums. :p
Couldn't agree more. Another friend had the Yellow Millenium VFR-an all around great motorcycle. Comfortable, sounded incredible, and damn did I love the mechanical symphony emitted from those gear driven cams. As far as i'm concerned, a much superior motorcycle to the V-tech interceptors. Honda went backwards on the V-tech with over-engineering.

Honda went backwards on the V-tech with over-engineering.
You think they went backward on that? Have you seen the new Crossrunner? As far as I can tell it's entirely the same as the '09 VFR with even uglier plastic on it.
I have viewed a photo of it, but not long enough to form any opinion. Based on Honda's pricing of new models in the past couple of years(DN-01 & VFR), they'll probably be completely out of their minds on price.

Nice thread with some great bikes mentioned, I think the best, easiest to ride and most balanced handling/braking/power package out there belongs to the CBR series. Honda really knows how to incorporate the entire package do that no one area overpowers the other, not always the fastest, best handling or best brakes, but it all comes together as a package really well.

That said, I love the FJR, but it's not a sport bike, it is however the equivalent of the CBR in the ST arena. I really like Honda products, you can't go wrong with them imo...but the ST1300 is not up to snuff vs the FJR, much as I wanted another Honda, couldn't justify it:)

For me it's the old school stuff like the Ducati 900ss fe that should arrive soon (finally) to my stable.......one of the most fun bikes to ride where it's your skill sets that determines how quick bike the is.....not the horsepower....