the gap take a look see

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a fun fun fun fun road for sure. Been there twice with my Bandit. Definitely a serious road an zero margin for error, but addicting as hell. Last trip down I put about 300 miles on the Dragon alone. I need new knee pucks too!

Mike

Can't wait to slay the Dragon in 2006. Wifey and I will travel to the US especially for this.

I just need to borrow a bike for the occasion... :blink:

Any volunteers? :D :D :D

Stef

Stef, any dates nailed down yet? I'm working about a day's drive from there and been thinking about staying a weekend and renting a bike.

Here ya go git-chee-sum... Dragon web site That was fun. The guy in front sure was using his brakes a lot during the turns. :blink:
Yeah his form was pretty bad. This road will defintely sharpen cornering skills. I saw lots of FJRs when I was down last summer. Most of them were just putting around with passengers, but some were really moving. I'm planning on taking the FJR down next summer.

Mike

That looks like some of the roads we ride every weekend.....except we have pine trees.

Y'all gotta come to Reno for WFO and ride the Sierra Passes and secondary roads.

I plan to be there sometime around the 2nd week of July...unfortunetly I will be one of those FJR's "puttering around with a passenger"..but am sure I will still enjoy myself.

KM

Hey Tejas,

Stef, any dates nailed down yet?
Naw...not quite. Will most probably happen in August and we'll be coming in thru Raleigh, NC.

But I'll know the exact dates early in the coming year. We might well be riding in with a good friend and FJR-bro from Raleigh B)

Stef

Hey Stef,

If you are going to Raleigh N.C. you are going to be close to some places that has as much to offer as the Dragon. U.S. 421 from Boone N.C. all the way in to Bristol Tn. is a pretty awesome ride.

I have a friend that has been to the Dragon several times and had never ridden 421. I spoke to him the other day and he said he liked the 421 ride better than the Dragon. It is less traveled but I think it actually has more curves. The claim is 3 mountains 1 valley 489 curves. I am suprised that more on this forum haven't been talking about it. I think they call it the strip-ed snake. If you want to get some more info. just log onto www.shadyvalleycountrystore.com

Maby you could ride this on your way to the Dragon and give a comparison between the two. I have ridden both and I would be hard pressed to pick which of the two I like the best. I grew up riding U.S. 421 so I am probably a little partial to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stef,

Be sure to post up a note on your trip dates. I'm sure you can find a bunch of fellow FJR pilots that would love to ride w/ you.

+1 on Shady Valley (US 421).

And, while you're in the area, remember the Blue Ridge Parkway.

That's where we had EOM 05 this past September.

There were about 80-90 FJR's there, mostly 05's but some 04's and 03's mixed in.

We had a great time and yes, the roads are awesome.

Most of us road anywhere from 200-400 miles per day in small groups.

Mark

i HAVE BEEN TWICE AND i FOUND IT JUST LIKE THE VIDEO TO MANY NONE RIDERS GOING TO SLOW BLOCKING THE ROAD. tHER ARE LOTS OF GRAET AREAS TO RIDE AROUND THERE WHERE THE ROADS ARE SMOOTH AND VERY LITTLE TRAFFIC TO KILL YOU

STEVE

Hey Tejas,

Stef, any dates nailed down yet?
Naw...not quite. Will most probably happen in August and we'll be coming in thru Raleigh, NC.

But I'll know the exact dates early in the coming year. We might well be riding in with a good friend and FJR-bro from Raleigh B)

Stef
Hey Steph!

Drop me a line when you're in town, I'm only about 100 miles from there, and would definatly make a trip down. I'm between there and North Carolina, so I could easily meet up with you on the ride over.

Deals gap is EXTREMELY BUSY on weekends, but I don't think it'll be anywhere near the traffic levels you're used to in Italy.

I've also got a good supply of other roads in the area that are just as technical but I like better. (US421 that was already mentioned is on the top of the list, and is practically in my backyard)

And we can root for Rossi if it's a race sunday!

I've got to agree that #421 north out of Boone, N.C., heading into TN. is one of the absolute best rides you will ever find. I spend a good portion of each year....4 to 5 months on the average...... riding those roads of the high country and I never tire of old #421. There are many, many roads in that area that are superior to the "Dragon" and that also don't represent the death threat that the Dragon does. Because of the idiot bikers and the huge trucks coming into your lane, Deal's Gap ought to be avoided at all cost. Hunt around....you'll find plenty of rides with all the thrills you can handle. Incidentally, I'm in the process of building a vehicle "barn" at my mountain house in Boone. It will include a bunkhouse suitable to housing up to eight bikers and all their gear. When it's finished, I'll put the word out....I'll be able to acommodate some of you guys, gratis, when I'm in residence up there.

Shady Valley (421) is one of the more mentioned areas for EOM 06... I rode through it with Smthing on our way back from the Dragon (EOM 05) great roads!!!!! :clap: