The ONE piece of advice...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Learn your skills riding dirt bikes through the woods (with ATGATT)
Bingo. This is the one I missed.

I got into bikes with a bunch of sportbike riders and they insisted on the MSF course, helmet, ATGATT, eyes-out-and-scanning, and a lot of other good advice, but my basic physical coordination sucks, and is probably why I have my nickname. I wish I'd had those 10-15 crashes in the dirt instead of on the street.

Log real miles with real riders. Riders who have a strong tenure of fun, safety and are brilliant in their approach to the greatest fun on planet earth.

Do not get your advice from keyboard jockeys on the internet. For every post of advice from the keyboard, there is a brilliant rider out riding and perfecting his already proven skills.

Common with most thing in life: -those talking, are the ones that should be listening

....and the ones worth listening to are too busy perfecting their art. Find those that are perfecting their art, follow them, study their approach, emulate them, and ask them questions. They'll be receptive and eager to share with those who show appreciation and respect for good moto-bike fun.

, and the advice THEY give you will be golden, especially compared to the keyboard jockeys.

And there you have today's keyboard advice from reno.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Pay once, cry once."

Applies to any farkles and gear .. better to pony up for the quality things in life than skimp and buy crappy stuff multiple times.

I have two.

Most important, take the MSF class BEFORE you get your bike. Saves a lot of heartache.

Second is, don't buy that cool sportbike with expensive fairings on it that you are just going to drop. You probably couldn't have convinced me though.

So, if you had received only ONE piece of advice when you first straddled your bike, what would it have been?
Marry either a hot Italian or Native American woman. Keep her until you can hang on longer than 8 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Pay once, cry once."
Applies to any farkles and gear .. better to pony up for the quality things in life than skimp and buy crappy stuff multiple times.

Buy the best gear you can afford and make sure it fits properly. Then wear it always

Just because your working two jobs, and your still broke, is not a good excuse to sell your bike.... it can take years to get one back if you do.

Stay fukin' away from fjrforum.com

<and particularily never log in on a Friday>

prohibition_sign_no_symbol_magnet-p147134966218331800qjy4_400.jpg

Friday? Today is my Wednesday...what's it like to have a Friday ON a Friday?

Also, good posts, keep 'em comming!

Just because your working two jobs, and your still broke, is not a good excuse to sell your bike.... it can take years to get one back if you do.
'Struth...! :eek: :)

I had a buddy who always traded -- sometimes he trade 'up' ~ sometimes he traded 'down'; but he always traded.

When riding twisties, DO NOT fixate on the rider ahead of you, especially going into a blind turn. (that almost got me into a crash early on till I 'got' it!)

Some good advice from a long time rider that still lives up the street from my parents that rode wheelies up that same street when I was a kid in the late 60's was to buy a bike and just leave it stock and then ride the piss out of it.

He also said to try and develop that 6th sense of anticipating the cagers moves on the road too.

I probably should have been told to build a larger garage too. ;)