The "Parking" Key Position in Gen III. Useful?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These lights are most important for running in the dark mode when enemy aircraft are getting ready to bomb Sac town. All FJR's located in Sacramento are required to run these lights from dusk to dawn... :whistle:

In some places it's required for a vehicle parked on the street to have a light active. On cars, it's often enabled by putting the turn signal into that position (i.e. if parked on the right, put on left turn signal so the projecting corners of the vehicle are lit.)

You could probably disable it by removing a wire or two for the contacts in the ignition switch.
Yeh, but which ones?
uhoh.gif

Its the only position the hazards will stay on when the bike is not running. Must be for safety when the bike won't run.
+1 Stopping during the night to take a leak on the side of the road is when I've had to use it.
I'd rather do that in stealth mode.

Perhaps they figured 'muricans would want to do a long way round kind of thing..
I would LOVE to!
Not on an FJR, I don't think.

Anyway, glad it's not just me.
rolleyes.gif

In some places it's required for a vehicle parked on the street to have a light active. On cars, it's often enabled by putting the turn signal into that position (i.e. if parked on the right, put on left turn signal so the projecting corners of the vehicle are lit.)

You could probably disable it by removing a wire or two for the contacts in the ignition switch.
Yeh, but which ones? :uhoh:

It's a Euro thing (and possibly some other markets).
A posible "fix": There's one feed to the ignition switch from the main (50A) fuse. There are two feeds from the ignition switch, one provides all the ignition stuff that makes the motor go round, the other feeds the so-called hazard fuse that feeds the hazard lights (doh) but also it feeds all the lights and stuff. Maybe if you moved the hazard/lighting wire from its terminal on the switch and connected it to the main ignition wire?

You have to push the switch in to get it to move towards the "Lock" position, if you hold the key pressed in as you turn it, there's a positive stop when you reach the "Lock" position. Only then allow the key to spring up before withdrawing it.

Or, do like those of us who can't help but look back on our beautiful steeds as we walk away :love: ...

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^ It's a Euro thing ^^^

I remember back in the day in the UK, we had to leave "parking lights" on to park on the street at night. Activated by moving the blinker arm either up or down.

Same thing with the older "arm indicators" that flipped up and out on the vehicles.

Yeah !! Me and McT, we're OLD -- lol

My 2016 doesn't light up anything in (P)arking mode. The only thing you can do is tun the hazard lights on. You can't remove the key in (P), so I guess this isn't a mode you'd use and walk away. This was all confirmed in the owner's manual. Before I owned an FJR I saw a 2014 once in a garage with the perimeter lights around the headlights on. So that's what all of the other gen IIIs do in (P) mode??

Well hell...y'all made me look.

In park position my '15A lights up the headlight LEDs, front turn signals and rear running lights. Adding hazards, it flashes the front and rear turn signals. Now off to RTFM and confirm all is well...
smile.png

--G

My 2016 doesn't light up anything in (P)arking mode. The only thing you can do is tun the hazard lights on. You can't remove the key in (P), so I guess this isn't a mode you'd use and walk away. This was all confirmed in the owner's manual. Before I owned an FJR I saw a 2014 once in a garage with the perimeter lights around the headlights on. So that's what all of the other gen IIIs do in (P) mode??
My '14 S10 ES has the P position on the ignition, and it behaves like you describe here...but I can remove the key when it's in the P position. Weird.

The hazards do work in P with no key on the S10.

My '14 S10 ES has the P position on the ignition, and it behaves like you describe here...but I can remove the key when it's in the P position. Weird.

The hazards do work in P with no key on the S10.
I'll double check the removing of key thing. It makes no sense that you couldn't lock the bike, turn on the hazard lights, pull the key and go for help.

It's interesting that the '14A and '14ES described above don't do the same thing??

Adam,

On my 16ES... the key will come out in the "P" position, and you can turn the emergency flashers on. I don't see why your's would be any different.

Adam,On my 16ES... the key will come out in the "P" position, and you can turn the emergency flashers on. I don't see why your's would be any different.
Agreed. I probably wasn't pulling straight out and it just hung up. I was more curious as to why the lights around the headlight weren't lighting like on previous gen IIIs. Must have something to do with the LED lighting?? I wonder if the 2016A models light up like the 2014 A models mentioned above...

Adam,On my 16ES... the key will come out in the "P" position, and you can turn the emergency flashers on. I don't see why your's would be any different.
This is a useful feature as long as all you can do in the "P" position is turn on the emergency flashers and remove the key.

This is a useful feature as long as all you can do in the "P" position is turn on the emergency flashers and remove the key.
Will have to try that on my '06

Of course the key pulls right out. I don't know what the heck I was trying to do the other day?? I plead ignorance! :)

So one of the 2016 A model owners need to put their bike in park and tell us what happens. Anything different?

You know, I don't remember coming across any recent bikes that DON't have a parking position..... It confuses me why this still a hot topic?