The Pepsi Challenge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malve

Reaction score
Many of us probably remember that in the early 80's Pepsi introduced the "Pepsi Challenge" where they set up blind sip tests around the country challenging Coke by allowing consumers to choose their favorite. Pepsi claimed that more people chose Pepsi over Coke. The truth was, that they were right and the top brass at Coke were worried. So worried in fact that they even eventually came up with New Coke wich ultimately was a flop. Why didn't Coke's worst fears come to fruition?

It turns out that when consumers were sent home for an extended blind comparison test, an overwhelming majority of people did in fact prefer Coke. So what may be better for a try or taste isn't necessarrily what's preferential longer term.

Where are we going with this?

I postulate that the AE is Coke. You will notice that many people (or MC reviewers) that "try" the AE are critical yet most owners have a very high level of satisfaction. I think that, among other things, the re-learning curve associated with the technology lends itself to short term criticism yet long term satisfaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many of us probably remember that in the early 80's Pepsi introduced the "Pepsi Challenge" where they set up blind sip tests around the country challenging Coke by allowing consumers to choose their favorite. Pepsi claimed that more people chose Pepsi over Coke. The truth was, that they were right and the top brass at Coke were worried. So worried in fact that they even eventually came up with New Coke wich ultimately was a flop. Why didn't Coke's worst fears come to fruition?It turns out that when consumers were sent home for an extended blind comparison test, an overwhelming majority of people did in fact prefer Coke. So what may be better for a try or taste isn't necessarrily what's preferential longer term.

I postulate that the AE is Coke. You will notice that many people (or MC reviewers) that "try" the AE are critical yet most owners have a very high level of satisfaction. I think that, among other things, the re-learning curve associated with the technology lends itself to short term criticism yet long term satisfaction.
Dude, might want to go to Rock Bottom Brewery and grab a pint of Quake! :)

It is something to think about.....just do it on yer own time. I have gerbils to deal with.

Many of us probably remember that in the early 80's Pepsi introduced the "Pepsi Challenge" where they set up blind sip tests around the country challenging Coke by allowing consumers to choose their favorite. Pepsi claimed that more people chose Pepsi over Coke. The truth was, that they were right and the top brass at Coke were worried. So worried in fact that they even eventually came up with New Coke wich ultimately was a flop. Why didn't Coke's worst fears come to fruition?It turns out that when consumers were sent home for an extended blind comparison test, an overwhelming majority of people did in fact prefer Coke. So what may be better for a try or taste isn't necessarrily what's preferential longer term.

Malve,

Anyone else other than you and I would say stop smokin' the crack. I know you are a sharp, by the book, guy; so I will have to agree. Our cars are paddle shift for any performance models now- why not the bikes?

I find your thoughts on the subject interesting. Before I can validate or deny your claims, I will need to borrow your AE.

For about 2 years.

I openly boycotted Coke and Coke products (and still do because of their idiotic tampering with the coke formula.)..New Coke sucked and the "classic coke" now available is NOT the same as the original Coca-cola.

Now I have forsaken all "brown" sodas and drink Moutain Dew...

Anway, your assessment of why the AE is a failure (to some) and a wonder to others, is however, spot on.

Those who embrace tradition are hardest to sway. But any new concept will always simply be compared to the old one and a lifetimes training of doing something a certain way does not mean that it is the best way to do it, just that it of course "feels more natural" or, the more blatant "that's how they all work and they all shoud be made the same.." mentality.

Imagine if they took the electronic throttle control off an R6 and replaced it with one that opened and closed the throttle by how hard you squeezed the grip. There would be those that would hate it right off ..even without trying it. The ones that did just "try it" would likely find it "dangerous and hard to controll" and those that spent alot of time learning to use it might either still prefer the old twist throttle..but there would be some that found that once learned , it worked better for them.

So it boils down to personal choice.

The real nice thing here is Yamaha offers both choices to potential FJR buyers, and given the amount of "happy" AE owners out there...those detractors of the AE that think Yamaha made some kind of mistake in building the AE and should drop the model from their line up ...simply have their heads in the sand.

KM

So I came in from choppin' wheat to power my Yugo AND feed Odots Gerbils for this? Ok...my question, and I applaud your hypothesis Malve..is how come more folks arent as addicted to Diet Pepsi as Diet Coke..huh? Next thing ya know cars are gonna start bein real wheel drive again...yeah right...wheres my Yugo?

Bobby

I never thought I'd have an opportunity to use this rather worthless bit of experience 20+ years later but here goes. I was with Pepsi USA years ago and launched the the Pepsi Challenge in Memphis with an independent bottler in an effort unseat one of the strongest Coke markets in the country. Long story short, after the introduction (and spending MM's of $'s on marketing, advertising, and retail display agreements) of the Challenge we had a 13 point favorable share swing (meaning lots of people actually bought Pepsi over Coke for a 60 day period) and it even resulted in making the cover of an industry trade magazine. Sorry to provide a counter argument, but I couldn't pass it up. :rolleyes:

However, I have to agree with the premise, I'm guessing that if people would open their minds and give the AE a real chance, it's probably a blast.

Bob

Malve - +1

Yamaha has taken on the "pioneer" position on this one, and true to historical form has got the arrows in the ass. (for now)

My only dissapointment in the AE is that Yamaha did not come back and support this great bike with even minor marketing or dual mapping (wouldn't that be trick) or SOMETHING. ANYTHING!

After all the dollars and effort it took to bring it to market you think they would want to support it. Rumor has it that Honda is working on a similar concept, probably for the Wing then the all new '10 ST.

Many of us believe the bolded statement is true, including Cycle World. Does Yammie have any evidence to back that up? Other than sales figures -- which we do not know -- I wonder how they measure the success or reaction to this particular feature. How many of us have answered any kind of Yamaha survey related to the AE? As far as I can tell, lots of owners have hit the 'net to voice their opinion, but otherwise, it's a guessing game whether the AE is succeeding in the marketplace.

I suppose simply selling something -- even if it does not generate repeat sales later -- is sign enough of success for Yammie.

I have a little different situation here as I own both a 06A and a 06AE. I bought the AE for my wife (who currently owns a Vstar 1100). The AE, even with a lowering kit, was too tall for her but this is another story. I never registed the AE so the only testing I had was driveway riding. I thought the concept was cool but that I didn't want it for me as I'm old school and the auto clutch is not conventional. Well, I tried and failed to sell the AE late this fall so I figured I'd hold on to it until spring. When I brought both bikes to the dealer in December to have the ECU switched out they threw a dealers plate on the AE so I could test out the upgrade, as it was too cold for the techs to test (pansies). I got my first real world ride on the AE, about 10 miles, I have to admit that I really enjoyed it. It only took a couple of stop and go miles to really get used to it. I will have a difficult decision come spring about which bike I will hang on to. I am currently leaning towards selling the A, which will have around 30k on the clock by then, and keeping the AE which has 300 miles