The saga of the Vincent Black Lightning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texan

Rollie Reincarnated
Reaction score
The forecast was for beautiful weather in the magnificent Texas hill country for Halloween Saturday. I woke early with anticipation of a great ride. The weather station said 39 degrees which I noticed was the same temperature as in Denver. But I knew it was going to climp to 70 by 2pm. So, I put on a few extra layers under my Aerostich riding suit and loaded up my Zune HD with plenty of good bluegrass and country (this is Texas, after all).

I knew it was going to be a good day when the first tune that the Zune shuffled up was "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" by Del McCoury. It would turn out to be an amazing foreshadow as later in the afternoon, I would actually see the rare Vincent Black Lightning.

Said Red Molly to James that's a fine motorbike

A girl could feel special on any such like

Said James to Red Molly, well my hat's off to you

It's a Vincent Black Lightning, 1952

And I've seen you on the corners and cafes it seems

Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme

And he pulled her on behind and down to Nashville they did ride

Since the day was about the journey, not the destination, I got to ponder each turn. In this part of Texas, there are no bad journeys as long as you stay off the interstate.

dscn0943c.jpg

Between Johnson City and Boerne, I drove through the small town of Kendalia. Apparently the ACLU hasn't visited here. This sign was posted on the public library.

dscn0945l.jpg

A short way from the Kendalia library was the community center. They had a sign that said "Annual Free BBQ Gathering". Thanks to Wm Schwope and Sons, the center sported a working cistern next to the outhouse.

dscn0946.jpg

I rolled into Boerne outside of San Antonio and the weather was starting to warm up. I pulled into a local BBQ joint parking lot. The sign for the best BBQ in the hill country intrigued me. But as I peeled off a layer, something hit me. "Why", I wondered, "is there a guy with a sombrero on the BBQ joint wall?"

dscn0949x.jpg

Yep, you read it right. "Si Senior, BBQ and Tacos." I bet you can't find this claim outside of Texas

dscn0950t.jpg

I left Boerne and headed for Bandera. Bandera is a popular bike destination. On a nice Saturday, you're going to find upwards of 200 Harleys parked outside of the many burger, beer and BBQ joints that line the main street. It's a picturesque city with plenty of Texas personality.

Just outside of Bandera, I spotted this uniquely Texas trailer. I pulled over to snap a photo. I had to hoof it quickly as the local guard dog didn't like me being on his property.

dscn0951n.jpg

I can ride all day without stopping except for fuel. I had planned a long route and didn't have time to stop for lunch. But as I passed through the small town of Medina, I couldn't pass up this bakery. Medina boasts an apple orchard as it's main industry. And this bakery is part of the orchard.

dscn0952.jpg

My reward for stopping was a freshly baked apple turnover sprinkled with sugar. Hmmm

dscn0953n.jpg

At the end of Medina is the turnoff to RR337. RR stands for Ranch Road for you non-Texans. RR337 is famous amongst motorcycle riders. It's one of three roads in this part of Texas that are referred to as the "twisted sisters" for their switchbacks and curves.

dscn0954.jpg

RR337 is indeed lined with beautiful Texas ranches. this ranch sported a heard of magnificent buffalo. They are such a beautiful and awesome beast.

dscn0955d.jpg

dscn0956.jpg

I wear a white helmet. When you see me in your rear view mirror riding a big blue touring bike, you just gotta wonder "is that a cop?"

dscn0957w.jpg

RR337 has hundreds of awesome vistas. This is just one of the scenic turnouts available to motorists.

dscn0958r.jpg

Hmmm. Should I go to Utopia or Leakey?

dscn0959y.jpg

Just a mile from the Lost Maples State Natural Area (great hiking and picnicking) I turned into the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum. About 40 bikers were here enjoying eachother's company and talking about thier farkles.

dscn0960.jpg

Inside this building was the official AMAZING COINCIDENCE OF THE DAY. Yep, it was a Vincent Black Lightning - the same type of bike on which Rollie Free set his shirtless speed record.

Said James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world

Beats a 52 Vincent and a red headed girl

No Nortons and Indians and Greeves just won't do

They ain't got a soul like a Vincent 52

This little shack in the middle of nowhere is packed with about 40 perfectly restored antique motorcycles. There were Vincents, Nortons and Indians. There was even a classic Ducati racer in red white and green racing paint.

They have a cafe and if you buy something there, your admission fee is waived.

dscn0961n.jpg

This is the reason that RR337 is beloved by motorcyclists.

dscn0963i.jpg

RR337 takes you to Leakey. From there, I headed north and found the second twisted sister, RR335. This road runs 30 miles along the ridge of some nice hills. This is open ranchland.

I love stopping at historical markers and rarely let one go by without seeing what famous thing happened here. This one is rare. An massacre of a child and woman by Apaches in 1881.

dscn0964.jpg

I'm glad we don't have to worry about these types of problems here in Texas anymore.

dscn0965t.jpg

Wow, check out this view. Over a thousand feet of elevation and 10 miles of scenery. Hard to beat that.

dscn0966ke.jpg

I was 175 miles from home at this point. I had been gone 4 hours and needed to get back for a Halloween party with family. It was hard to do, but after I left RR335 I headed for the highway to make it home before dark.

I hit I-10 and headed towards San Antonio. On the stretch of I-10 out here, the speed limit is 80MPH. I don't know too many roads in the US where 80 is legal.

I came home via Kerrville and Fredricksburg enjoying the great weather and great Texas roads.

I arrived home at 5pm after 7 hours and 335 miles of fun. Fuel economy had been excellent. I averaged over 100 smiles per gallon.

I cleaned up and put on my sheriff outfit for the party. Even before the trick or treating started, it had already been the perfect day.

dscn0967g.jpg

Awesome report! I have lusted after Vincent's since I was a teenager, when my dad would lament over selling his black lightning so many years ago. I was looking forward to getting one of the newer ones, but unfortunately Bernard Li died before the project ever came to fruition. If and when they ever build this bike, I will be first in line.

Vincent Black Shadow

Glad you finally made it to the best riding in the hill country. I was there a few weeks back...I never get tired of it.

Regards,

Davy

Nice Report fellow -Texan

I am looking forward to trying the Texas Hill Country roads, have heard many good things, Thanks for Sharing.

Wish I had found out about the ST association ride up in Kerrville, starting this past weekend...11/07-8

Suppose to be a couple hundred bikes up in those parts.

Great ride report! I was in Kerrville this weekend, but bikeless :angry2: I had to babysit customers at our hunting ranch (3 miles south of city limits of Kerrville, on hwy 16). I could hear the rumble of bikes constantly while up on top of the hill at the ranch. I will be heading back to Kerrville/Bandera next week for some riding!! :yahoo:

Great report. One of my first trips after getting my 04 was to the hill country with a friend of mine. Great roads once I got down their. From Denver to there not so great.

It's been a while since I rode 337. I got to enjoy the an abrupt change from asphalt to gravel due poorly posted road construction. Fortunately, I managed to keep the SV upright (and my Dad managed to keep the GL the same way). The parts that were not busted up for construction were great. Just as much fun, if not more fun (because of the scenery) than riding around in N. Georgia.

I've yet to take the FJR out into anything fun, but such trips are definitely on my list of things to do.