The shop trashed my front SMARTIRE sensor.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek

Reaction score
Having that thing bouncing around in my front tire ruined that fresh rubber feeling while scrubbing in my PR3's.

Vulcan tire says I can use the Smartire passenger car sensor (which they have in stock) if my rims are suitable. The shop says they are not. Has anyone tryed?

I'm also looking at Tire-watch from France, (not Tyrewatch) It looks like the closest thing to Smartire. Has anyone used this TPMS?

dh

You might try the parts department at Donahue Harley to see if they have any full-install setups left in stock. Then you'll have some spare parts should something else fail. That's where I purchase my original one and then the replacement one after my dealer broke mine (and lost any and all future business from me after they refused to compensate me even though I told them where it was and gave them the install manual). Bastards.

Having that thing bouncing around in my front tire ruined that fresh rubber feeling while scrubbing in my PR3's.

Vulcan tire says I can use the Smartire passenger car sensor (which they have in stock) if my rims are suitable. The shop says they are not. Has anyone tryed?

I'm also looking at Tire-watch from France, (not Tyrewatch) It looks like the closest thing to Smartire. Has anyone used this TPMS?

dh
Derek,

The passenger car Smartire sensors do indeed work on the FJR tires, despite what your shop says. I've used them on my SmarTire setup. I just wasn't aware that Vulcan Tires still stocked them (their website says they've been discontinued, I believe). So by all means get the car tire sensors for your bike.

get 'em while you can. they were discontinued at least a year or more ago.

in the mean time make sure you document their ham-handedness. when you get the bill for the new parts and installation, take it to the store owner and ask for compensation. if they refuse, you'll easily win in small claims court.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might try the parts department at Donahue Harley to see if they have any full-install setups left in stock. Then you'll have some spare parts should something else fail. That's where I purchase my original one and then the replacement one after my dealer broke mine (and lost any and all future business from me after they refused to compensate me even though I told them where it was and gave them the install manual). Bastards.
Thanks, LDRydr!

I just ordered a spare SmarTire system from Donahue Harley Davidson (320-251-6980 from Greg in parts dept), now going for $159. I was surprised that they still had them in inventory after all this time. Get 'em while they're hot folks. Greg says they have 5 left in stock!

I have the Doran TPMS on my bike with the sensors mounted inside the tires. It was the desire to mount the sensors inside the tire but knowing how easily the sensors can be damaged that led me to buying my No-Mar Tire Changer. I now have no one but myself to blame if a sensor gets damaged during tire removal / install.

Thanks LDRydr,

I took delivery yesterday.

The shop that trashed the sensor is going to reemburse me.

It's my opinion the Smart Tire system was the best one out there. It's no longer made and when I contacted the company who bought them they said they have no plans on ever making this system again. So on my #2 bike I went to the Doran system, it's not as good as the Smart Tire but it works and I'll use it until a better one comes along.

Thanks, LDRydr!

I just ordered a spare SmarTire system from Donahue Harley Davidson (320-251-6980 from Greg in parts dept), now going for $159. I was surprised that they still had them in inventory after all this time. Get 'em while they're hot folks. Greg says they have 5 left in stock!

Now they have just 1 left! :rolleyes: Thanks for the heads up!