The Shrine Down The Hall

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
This Sunday's New York Times Magazine will have a photo feature by war photographer Ashley Gilbertson. He photographed the bedrooms of fallen Soldiers and Marines, my son Jordan's bedroom being one of them. Very powerful stuff.

THE SHRINE DOWN THE HALL

Ashley Gilbertson

FACES OF THE DEAD

EDIT: I just wanted to add that Cpl Nicholas Xiarhos' bedroom is also represented. Nick was one of the 33 Marines in the compound who was saved by Jordan and Jonathan in Ramadi. He subsequently changed units and was immediately redeployed to Afghanistan where he was tragically killed by a roadside bomb in Garmsir.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that I've gathered myself enough to actually see the keyboard.......

Whew!

Death in combat sucks. It gives deeper meaning to the phrase: "Freedom isn't free...someone paid for it."

Deeply moving photo essays, Axe. Thanks for sharing the links and Jordan's courage.

The bedroom pictures were particularly poignant to my wife and I. A brilliant photo essay. I'm struck by so many parents' deep losses; even after years have passed, the rooms remain shrines.

So sad to think of all that has been lost, but uplifting as well that so many have willingly given their all, so that I may write this in the comfort and safety of my home.

I'm very grateful. And sobered.

Last edited by a moderator:
I copied and pasted your introduction into an email and included the link to the "Times" story then sent it to my list of friends and family.

It's a great piece!

The bedroom pictures were particularly poignant to my wife and I. A brilliant photo essay. I'm struck by so many parents' deep losses; even after years have passed, the rooms remain shrines.
So sad to think of all that has been lost, but uplifting as well that so many have willingly given their all, so that I may write this in the comfort and safety of my home.

I'm very grateful. And sobered.
Its been almost two years now and I can't bring myself to clean out his bedroom. A pile of change still lies on the dresser where he threw it, his baseball hats still hung up on their hooks, his football and soccer ball sitting in the corner, and the Marine Corps recruiting video sitting on the nightstand............Oddly its a feeling of comfort more than sadness for it to be that way.